Shin Splints

Options
Hey guys,
I need some advice

I have been getting shin splints for a while now, whether they are in the middle of the night or in the morning.

They put me in agony and i cant move my legs until the pain goes away.
The after effects leave me with sore calf muscles instead of tender shins.

Feels like i have torn my calf muscles and find it very hard to walk without putting strain on them.

I need answers.

This is the last straw before i go to the doctors?

Can anyone help?

Replies

• Shann5315
    Shann5315 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I havnt had one for over a year and i got one yesterday morning at 6am :/
  • vhallrob
    vhallrob Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    I need some advice

I have been getting shin splints for a while now, whether they are in the middle of the night or in the morning.

Feels like i have torn my calf muscles and find it very hard to walk without putting strain on them.

I need answers.

Can anyone help?
    Shin splint or charlie horse in the calf? I'm confused by your description. That said, Shin splints can be caused by wearing the wrong or worn out shoes during walking/running exercises.
    Charlie horse/calf cramps are most often caused by dehydration and/or low potassium levels.

So, for shin splints, think about new shoes. For charlie horse/calf cramps, make sure you are getting in plenty of water and consider adding more bananas to your diet.
    Hope this helps.
  • Shann5315
    Options
    Hey guys,
    I need some advice

I need answers.

Can anyone help?
    Shin splint or charlie horse in the calf? I'm confused by your description. That said, Shin splints can be caused by wearing the wrong or worn out shoes during walking/running exercises.
    Charlie horse/calf cramps are most often caused by dehydration and/or low potassium levels.

So, for shin splints, think about new shoes. For charlie horse/calf cramps, make sure you are getting in plenty of water and consider adding more bananas to your diet.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks, i mean i get the shin splints, but once the pain/cramp has stopped my shins arent tender my calves are.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes shin splints are actually caused from too much force being put on the connective tissue on the front of your shin bone. Charlie horse occurs in your calf, which is what I think you mean. Make sure you drink plenty of water and get enough calcium in your diet.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A shin splint is the muscle that runs up your shin being sore, like any other over use muscle. It isn't sudden cramping and they often don't even hurt if you aren't walking. A sudden cramping pain in either your shin or calf isn't shin splints.
  • Shann5315
    Options
    A shin splint is the muscle that runs up your shin being sore, like any other over use muscle. It isn't sudden cramping and they often don't even hurt if you aren't walking. A sudden cramping pain in either your shin or calf isn't shin splints.

If It's not a shin splint what would you suggest it is?

The pain is that bad that i cant move my legs or feel them. i get pins and needles in my leg and extremely painful pain in my whole leg then my calf hurts afterwards as if i have pulled the calf muscles.
  • kristaleighwhite
    kristaleighwhite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor.

I know exactly the pain you've described. The calves hurt because they're the opposing muscle. A doctor will tell you to stretch your calves three times a day, three sets of thirty seconds, to help you recover.

I was diagnosed with really horrid shin splints about 8 years ago but didn't get to physiotherapy in time and still have the pain recur today if I wear uncomfortable shoes (heels, for example). My legs (shins and calves) will swell. I can't say it enough, get to the doctor and start on physio as soon as you can.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I think a doctor's diagnosis would be best.