eating after exercise... and right before bed?

Options
which is more important: eating after exercise, or NOT eating right before bed? unfortunately for me the only time i can work out is after work around 7 pm. i'm at the gym usually till 9, get home around 9:20, then after i put my stuff away, prepare my food, get all my ice packs situated on my shins/knees (shin splints) by the time i'm finished eating it's almost 10 pm. then i go to bed immediately after. i get up at 6:30 am so i try to be asleep by 10:30. my workouts are pretty intense, i burn anywhere from 600-1000 per night usually, so how vital is it to get food in my system after working out? or can i get away with just drinking some chocolate soymilk, or a protein powder drink or something? i gotta say though i definitely WANT to eat after working out, it's the end of the day and i just want to sit down and eat a real meal, but i hate that i do it literally minutes before going to bed :( what do you guys think?

Replies

• carolynmittens
    Options
    oh i also wanted to add that i'm incorporating strength training into my workouts now so i really want to build my muscles up the proper way.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    In my own journey, i eat before bed almost everynight. I honestly think the more important thing is calories in vs. calories out, and not when you are consuming them. (As long as you are losing and you aren't needing to switch up the routine). But that is just my opinion and how my body works.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    oh well i should add then that i haven't lost a single pound in 4 months :P so i'm thinking maybe that's why.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i have this same dilemma all the time. i just have a mini chocolate protein snack bar, and force myself to stay up for at least an extra hour. though i don't have work the next day b/c i'm a stay-at-home mom.
  • jennajoehro
    jennajoehro Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've always found that exercising anywhere from 2-3 hours before my usual bedtime is not a good idea for me. It "wakes up" my system to the point where I can't relax enough to fall asleep.

Is there any way you could switch your exercise time to earlier in the day?
  • EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    i found you loss more weight by working out in the am without eating. after you sleep you are working on 5 to 8 hrs of no food and then when you work out you burn the fat back when you work out at night or after you eat i feel that i find that my body burns the fat that it is still trying to find out what to do with. if you are having a problem get a hrm with a chest strap ( if you don't have one) and live by it. friend me if you like
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    try fillin up on food for fuel thru out the day before workin out then after you workout have a protein shake and a banana. Then see if that helps.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There is no problem with eating before bed - in fact you should try and get a high protein meal in to help stop your body feeding off your muscles over night
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am working part time, full time college student, and full time wife. I work til 9 and usually don't eat until 9:30 or 10 and then I am in bed by 11. I am losing weight just fine.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Its good to have a small snack before bed time. Fruit with a protein. Keep it light. It helps keep your metabolism going throughout the night.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    I've always found that exercising anywhere from 2-3 hours before my usual bedtime is not a good idea for me. It "wakes up" my system to the point where I can't relax enough to fall asleep.

Is there any way you could switch your exercise time to earlier in the day?
    as of now i can't... i'd have to get up at like 3 am to make that schedule work! it sucks because on the weekends when i can workout in the morning, i definitely feel SO much better throughout the day. i wish i could workout in the mornings but for now i'm just trying to make this screwy nighttime schedule work :\
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    the only time i can o to the gym is at night after my son goes to bed. I usally get back home about 9 and have a protien shake and fruit or a string cheese( im addicted). i have not had any problems losing weight doing this. on days that i know i am going to gym i eat more during the day to give my body plenty of fuel.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    High protein and low carbs - my late night snack or before bed snack (after workout) is usually a protein shake, made with 1% milk and ice. Everything I've been told is to keep the carbs low at night, otherwise it may convert to fat and store...
  • Kaysid6
    Options
    So like a banana and peanut butter? I just started that after workouts and not sure about it yet since its only been a few days. I've read it's good to have after workouts but I didn't know if hour before bed was ok to. Just trying to get the healthiest way to lose weight effectively!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Eat more throughout the day to help eat back some of your burned calories and have a meal before bed... it isn't going to hurt you... not eating enough throughout the day will.