Postpartum workouts?

Options
I just had a baby 2 weeks ago and am looking to get back into working out. I know they say to wait 6 weeks, but I feel fine and ready physically.

Any ideas on how to tighten up some of tha loose belly skin?!

Replies

• mlh150
    mlh150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As a group fitness instructor it absolutely killed me to wait 6 weeks to be cleared to work out again! Plus the 2 weeks before my daughter was born that I didn't teach because I was terrified of going into labor while teaching :) With that said, I began walking around 2 weeks. Then doing small things at home around 3 times a week whether it was strength training or practice for getting back to teaching my Zumba class. Take your time and don't overdo it. I could tell when my body needed to rest.

As for the belly...it will take a while to go down and even though I weigh less than I did before I had a baby (30 pounds less than when I first became pregnant) my belly isn't the same. It just takes time even if you are an avid fitness junky.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You can start walking, but since your OB/Midwife is the only one who knows you and your history, I would check with them before doing anything strength training/abdominal related. I would something very light and easy, but definitely agree about listening to your body.
    Congratulations!
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Ladies!

I'll stick with walking on the treadmill and doing some strength training until I get the OK for abs....even though I'm DYING to get my stomach back to looking somewhat normal.
  • christieodette
    Options
    try yoga
    postpartum on youtube
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    pregnancy changed your body in 9 months. do not expect to get it back right away.

I suggest waiting the entire 6 weeks. Your body went through huge changes. Adjust, relax, and get back into exercise after consulting your doc at your first post-partum doc visit
  • jenniferwilcox
    Options
    try yoga
    postpartum on youtube

My friend started doing yoga two weeks after she had her baby, just took it slow and didn't do a lot of the tough stretches. She was comfortable with it and didn't overdo it, and it was great for her!
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Don't push yourself! I felt I was ready with my first and almost popped my stitches just by doing too much around the house.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Just take it easy and stick to easy walking. Enjoy your new baby while he or she is this age :)