Governments exercise guidelines

Options
I just read an article on WebMD about Governments guidelines on exercise . 30 minutes a day for normal weight people . 60 minutes a day if you need to lose weight and 90 minutes a day if you have lost a lot of weight so you can keep it off . Wow ! I exercise for about an hour a day now . I think when I lose all my weight I will need to do 90 minutes a day to keep it off . What are your thoughts on this ?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I think government guidelines are a load of crap that tries to cram every individual into a single mold. They are to be taken with a grain of salt, or even ignored entirely. Do they even define 'exercise'? Better yet, could you link me the article so I can tear it apart entirely?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sounds like they picked some arbitrary numbers.

but in general, at least 60 minutes of activity (whether you define that as exercise or not) is going to be a good idea for most people
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    90 mins? It's a lot easier just to keep your calories in check.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I suppose that's a start. I like to do as much as I can, with adequate rest. I also like doing low intensity activities like walking, or cleaning every room in my house...
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cripes, that's such hogwash.

Did the article indicate what that person is eating? Their resting metabolic rate, and body/fat/muscle percentage? Different body compositions burn different amounts of calories on a daily basis. You daily caloric burn is also affected by the foods you're eating.

Did they indicate what *type* of cardio for 30 vs 60 vs 90 mins? For example, once you've lost your weight, do they expect you to bang out a 90-min HIIT session?! I think not.

Take it with a grain of salt.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    90 minutes for maintenance sounds awfully high; besides, you mainly maintain by watching what you eat, not through exercise. 60 minutes of vigorous exercise 5 or 6 times a week has been the recommendation for serious weight loss for a long time.
  • jenniferwilcox
    Options
    I read in an article that it's recommended to get 30 min of exercise each day. I would say that's plenty, whether you are overweight or fit! People need to have lives outside of exercise and work every day!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I see this thread getting locked soon after everyone bashes on the government trying to govern our exercise! (PS-I'd bash as well, but it won't get me anywhere or make them stop their assinine idiocy!)

With that said - I typically workout for at least 90mins a day, 6 days a week because I LOVE to workout, not really because I "have" to workout. If you enjoy working out and getting exercise thru out the day, then there is no prob.

And if you really believe everything the government suggests, then you may as well start taking those green coffee bean pills & raspberry ketones & eat all you want & STILL lose weight...
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Michelle Obama might come in here and kick everyones a$$es!! :glasses:
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Michelle Obama might come in here and kick everyones a$$es!! :glasses:

I'm not scared. I can take her in sit-ups, planks AND push-ups!!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I think government guidelines are a load of crap that tries to cram every individual into a single mold. They are to be taken with a grain of salt, or even ignored entirely. Do they even define 'exercise'? Better yet, could you link me the article so I can tear it apart entirely?

Maybe she is referring to this article, but is quite old (2005?)

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/your-exercise-routine-how-much-is-enough
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options

^this