How can it be possible...

Options
How is it possible that my scale says I gained 4 pounds over the weekend? I was very active this weekend (walking everywhere) and did not eat junk food. There is no way that I ate 14,000 extra calories, so why does my scale say that I did. I've tested the accuracy of my scale with a weight (I actually have to add .2 to whatever the scale says and i factor that in) . Why does that happen? Should I weigh-in tomorrow instead?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It could be increased water retention, undigested food in your system, digested food that did not pass yet.
  • IanRS
    IanRS Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I find lots of daily fluctuations are distracting - I only compare Sunday mornings each week to avoid this kind of issue.

If you are consuming less than you burn (which from what you say I assume you have) you will lose weight over time.

Celebrate the fact that you had an active weekend :-)
  • awellday
    awellday Posts: 14
    Options
    I have had that happen before as well, and it is a really negaitve way to start your week. Also quite frusterating.
    It could be many things, but what i have always found that works, is to drink a lot more water today and it will help flush out whatever it is your body is holding on to. Another thing it could be in muscle. they say muscle weighs more than fat. did you take your measurements, that is the best way to see results.

don't let it get you down, keep going. my recomendation is to ignore the scale until your normal weigh in day and go from there...
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Weigh in only once per week on the same day each week.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    If you exercise quite a bit and do not drink a ton of water, sometimes your body will hold the water. I remember doing weight watchers and the weigh in after the walk for hunger (marathon walk 26 + miles) people would gain. The leader said that if you are getting dehydrated, your body will hold on and retain water. Eventually, your body will realize that it is ok and release and you will drop the pounds. I cannot imagine walking further than I care to drive, and gaining weight!! But, it happens. Hope this helps.
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Yeah I agree don't even think about the scale. If I went by the scale..then I haven't lost a single pound in 3 weeks but my pants are falling off of me literally so I know stuff is happening. Don't stress out too much about the numbers, focus on the other changes taking place with your body. :flowerforyou:
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I have to agree w/ the others; only weigh yourself once a week and the same time of day. When I first started I did it daily at different times of the day and my weight was all over the map. It gets too frustrating that way.