Need some chickpea ideas! (Or lentils, or black beans)

Options
100x2xLose
100x2xLose Posts: 29
I am crazy over chickpeas, black beans and lentils right now. Hubby and I have decided to go vegetarian 5 days a week, and I'm finding myself a little stuck.

Most recipes for chickpeas are curries. I love me a good curry now and again, but I'm getting sick of just curry. We also roast them for a snack, but I need some meal ideas that aren't curry or hummus. Same problem with lentils, and with black beans it feels like everything is Latin-American inspired.

I know you guys will have some fantastic ideas!

Replies

• Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Do a taco salad with the chick peas, tomatoes, black olives and vegetarian meat substitute crumbles with taco seasoning, light cheese and there you have it.
  • tzipporah
    tzipporah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Betcha didn't know black beans could be brownies.....

And these are DELICIOUS!

Go to happyherbivore.com/recipes and click on Black Bean Brownies :)

Happy Herbivore has about a gazillion chickpea/black bean based recipes that are low-cal and no fat! It's a great site.
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I came across this recipe on allrecipes.com under the section vegetarian - 100 calories or less.

Ingredients
    1 cup water
    1 cup uncooked couscous
    1 (15oz )can garbanzo beans, drained
    2 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
    1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
    1/4 tsp olive oil
    1/4 tsp white vinegar
    garlic powder to taste
    salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
    1. Bring water to boil in a med. saucepain. Stir in couscous and remove from heat. Cover, and let stand about 5 mins, until liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork

2. In a large bowl, mix couscous and garbanzo beans. Toss in tomatoes and cucumbers. Stir olive oil and vinegar into the mixture. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Modifications:
    Some people used veggie broth in the couscous instead of water .. I'm sure this flavors it right up.
    Some used garlic oil instead of plain olive oil.
    Some (most) used balsamic vinegar instead of white vinegar.
  • jmllight
    jmllight Posts: 2
    Options
    I make up a "hamburger patty" with mine, I take the chick-peas, black beans and mash them together, season with sea salt, pepper, garlic or whatever you like really then lightly fry them with a teaspoon of olive oil. Makes them a little crispy on the outside and it makes me feel like I am eating something different.
  • 100x2xLose
    100x2xLose Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!

Black bean brownies have been a fixture for months around the house... I have those to thank for getting my carnivorous, anti-vegetarian guy on the track to eating legumes :) He grew up in a meat and 'tatoes household, and flat-out refused to eat anything vegetarian because it was "girly".

I can't wait to try these out!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Oh girl, you are speaking my language. I'm mostly veggie and LOVE my beans... gotta have them for the protein, iron, and b vitamins when you cut out meat... not to mention all that fiber! :bigsmile: Black beans are great chilled with corn and tossed into a salad. Chickpeas are also great in a salad with blue cheese and sundried tomatoes.... I use a little honey, evoo, and bragg apple cider vinegar mixed in for the most amazing healthy thing you've ever put into your mouth. :love: Lentils I like to make up with brown rice (1.5 cups of rice for 2.5 cups of lentils), boil them about 45 minutes with 6 cups of water and then put in whatever seasonings you want (salt, pepper, garlic, curry, whatever you like) and top with mozarella cheese and hot sauce. I :heart: it. You could also throw in celery, carrots, onions, garlic, and peas to your lentil/rice mix and cook it all together (I add the peas towards the end since they don't need to cook as much) and season it up with whatever you have on hand or just sea salt and pepper. I like to puree pinto or black beans for my own "refried" beans to make "super nachos" with - chips, beans, salsa, guacamole, maybe lettuce, cheese, fat free plain yogurt (tastes like sour cream but MUCH healthier)... basically whatever I feel like. :) Sometimes I have a baked potato with black beans, cheddar cheese, salsa, and fat free plain yogurt on top for lunch. Yummo and SO filling. Hummus of course is a favorite, and curry is good as you mentioned, but chickpeas are really mild enough to toss in most any soup or stir fry or even a pasta dish for some extra protein. Just get adventurous and throw things together... you never know what amazing dish you'll create!
    :flowerforyou:
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    black bean burgers (black beans mashed, brown rice, peppers, spices, mold into a patty and fry in a little bit o' olive oil for tasty goodness)

black bean chili

lentil chili

lentil soup

kale and lentils

escarole and white bean soup
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    I make a pasta dish with them. Its more to taste & by eye than actual measured recipe.

I boil some whole wheat or multigrain pasta, find something you like that works for you.

In a pan I add a couple tbsp of EVOO

Drain a small can of chickpeas & add to oil

After a few minutes over low-med heat I add a bag of frozen broccoli. Cook till that's done to your likeness.

I also add some lemon juice to the pan. Around a quarter cup.

When everything is done I mix w/ pasta & top w/ reduced fat Parmesan.
  • cardswimmom
    cardswimmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I like this as a cold salad or as a "salsa" dip to go along w/multigrain tortilla chips:

black beans, chick peas, corn, tomatoes, red onion, fresh cilantro, lime juice (that is all I use - you could jazz it up with any other spices you like). Chill and enjoy! :tongue:
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite chickpea recipes!!

Mexican Style Chickpeas
    2 servings

Ingredients
    2 cups Chickpeas
    1 plum tomato, chopped
    2 1/4 tsp. chili powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 onion, chopped

Directions
    1. Saute all ingredients in a large frying pan over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
    2. Add a little water if necessary, to prevent sticking. Serve over rice or cous cous.

Nutritional Info
    Calories: 421.2
    Total Fat: 6.7 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 59.3 mg
    Total Carbs: 69.8 g
    Dietary Fiber: 20.5 g
    Protein: 21.5 g

I like these served over rice, cous cous or quinoa.
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    Hi, have you tried yellow split peas? This is another curry really but a yellow split pea dahl is delicious! Cook the split peas in boiling water for 10 minutes then add 1 tsp of turmeric and 1 curry leaf (or a bay leaf). Reduce the heat and continue to simmer for another 40 minutes. Mix 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1/2 tsp chilli, 1/2 tsp garam masala, a little root ginger and some garlic in a frying pan to 'wake' the spices. Then add half an onion and (if desired) some tomatoes (try and drain a little of the juice off first). Then add the split peas to the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes.

Also, here is a red lentil dip recipe that is popular in the middle-east (particularly egypt/lebanon). Cook some red lentils (as much as desired) then mix with lemon, garlic and fresh cilantro (add as much of each component as you wish until it pleases your palate- you may want to put a bit of salt and pepper in there too). You may also wish to add a little mixed spice and paprika/chilli. Mush it all together until it is a paste. Serve hot or cold with whatever you like to dip with: toast, carrot sticks, cucumber... xxx