kettlebell ladies

Options
2»

Replies

• 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    wow, amazing feedback. i am definitely looking into the adjustable. and i think majority of you say not to use too li9ght a weight. thanks all!
  • RobbieKCPhT
    RobbieKCPhT Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I heard a lot of great info about Kettlebell workouts. I bought an 8lb bell http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HOKCIE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00 and then a video http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FRWTSO/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00 and I did my first workout tonight! :bigsmile: I'm still alive, my legs are burning & I love it! I only made it thru the warm up & first round of the circuit. But I had ran 1.5 miles on my elliptical before I started that because I was warming up. ANYWAY, I really want to know how to log this type of a workout. I only did about 20-30 minutes of Kettlebell circuit. I felt like I burned a million calories because I am ringing wet, but I really wonder if anyone really knows how many calories you burn??? Anyway, I'll figure something out. Just curious! I'm excited about my Kettlebell & video. I hope I'm doing it properly, as I really cannot afford an injury. Suggestions anyone who is a pro??? FRIEND ME!!! Thanks everyone!
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in training with kettlebells, the hands down single most important thing that you can do is make the investment in at least one session with a certified instructor. And I don't mean the guy/gal at the local big box gym that claims to know what they are doing because they are a personal trainer.

Videos, books, youtube, etc. all have their place, and are great for workout routines and ideas. However, a visit (even one) with a certified instructor will give you the knowledge of proper form to train with maximum productivity and minimal risk of injury.

SFG, RKC, IKFF, WKC....it doesn't matter which organization they are associated with, as a beginner, any certified instructor will be able to get you started down the right path.
  • RobbieKCPhT
    RobbieKCPhT Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have thought about that. There is a gal who lives close to me and she is certified. I may contact her for instruction. Thanks!
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been kettlebelling for a couple weeks. I started out with a 7 pound and quickly returned it for a 10 pound. Am thinking of also getting a 12 or 15 pound one for some of the exercises. There are lots of free workouts online - google Kettlebell workouts.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I saw that someone was asking how you log calories. I found a couple websites that say you burn .09 calories per minute per pound of body weight. Someone told me they thought that might be a little high so I only eat about 1/2 my exercise calories back.
  • cksummer2013
    cksummer2013 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How are you all logging it in mfp? I can't find kettlebell anywhere to get calories etc? Any ideas? I'm new here and have started doing kettlebells. I started with 10lb in order to get correct form to avoid injury. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Be careful when using one that's too light. It actually makes it MORE difficult to learn proper form because when it's too light you end up not incorporating muscles that are supposed to be doing the lion's share of the work. In the case of compound movements, which are supposed to be multi-muscle, such as with kettlebell training, many muscles that are supposed to be doing the work don't bother getting involved if the weight is not sufficient. Your legs aren't going to be getting into it properly if the weight is light enough for the upper body to accomplish the lift without assistance from the legs. This makes you MORE prone to injury. Using a weight that is lighter than the recommended starting weight to "learn proper form" is COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE because the form you end up using when working with a weight that's too light is NOT the form you will be using when working with a weight that is sufficient enough to challenge the intended muscles. It may LOOK like you're doing the exercise right, but you're not.

Ok, thank you for the info!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Stats: 5'4", 158lbs down from my high of 185.

I've been doing kettlebells for a couple of years now and as I recall, I used to use 15 lbs weights for some of the harder exercises when I first started out but for other exercises, I'd use anywhere from 20 - 25 lbs. Now I use 20-25 for the harder ones and sometimes I even use my 45 lbs ones for others. Each exercise will be different. Start out with the smaller weights and work your way up as your muscle strength increases.

As far as calories burned, that's tricky. I do circuit sets of 5 exercises, 5 reps each with about a minute between each set. I do as many sets as I can manage before my form starts to deteriorate. Depending on the circuit, that's 4 - 6 sets. I just figure that for every 10 minutes of circuits, I'm burning 85 calories.

Edit: You tube is actually a great resource for kettlebellers.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in training with kettlebells, the hands down single most important thing that you can do is make the investment in at least one session with a certified instructor. And I don't mean the guy/gal at the local big box gym that claims to know what they are doing because they are a personal trainer.

Videos, books, youtube, etc. all have their place, and are great for workout routines and ideas. However, a visit (even one) with a certified instructor will give you the knowledge of proper form to train with maximum productivity and minimal risk of injury.

SFG, RKC, IKFF, WKC....it doesn't matter which organization they are associated with, as a beginner, any certified instructor will be able to get you started down the right path.

I agree with this. I'm about 5'8" and weigh more. I use kettlebells with a trainer and he started me on a 35 pound one. I turned out to be stronger than I thought I was. I wouldn't use ones that are too light, but definitely try something challenging that won't hurt you.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I saw that someone was asking how you log calories. I found a couple websites that say you burn .09 calories per minute per pound of body weight. Someone told me they thought that might be a little high so I only eat about 1/2 my exercise calories back.

Since I (5'10'' 250 and no lady) just did a 40 min (counting rest in between rounds) kettlebell workout with my HRM the other day I thought I'd work the numbers and I came out with .05 / min / pound. Of course ymmv.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am very curious and interested in purchasing some kettlebells. I am a 5'2" woman 155 lbs. What weight and how many do I need? Any woman on here use them and if so, do you just buy one weight or more than one? My husband said not to use any 20 lbs or over? Is this true? I don't want to necessarily be super buff, but I do want to have lean muscle and don't mind having cuts/rips on my body. Any good sites, videos for workouts using them? Any input is appreciated!!
    I deadlift a 62 lb one, swing with a 31, goblet squat with a 22, and half get-up with an 18.

I've been doing it for 2 months. I just use the bells at the gym at the moment because I'm quickly growing out of the lower weights. I have a 15 lb at home that is too light for me already.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I've been doing workouts from this site (free) for almost a year. I'm up to two 50-lb bells for some of the lower body exercises, but still at 25 lbs for overhead presses. You might advance faster than you expect for your first couple of bells.

http://livefitrevolution.org/

I would guess that a small person with a low weight would burn maybe 5ish calories per minute. My HRM tells me that I burn almost 10 (6', 265lbs).
  • NesiyR
    NesiyR Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use a combination of 10 lb and 15lb kettle bells, I know many ladies then only use a 5 lb one which I find is too light. I am 5' 2" as well :-)

Look on you tube for video's there are plenty on there, I also found this calculator to figure out the calories and I added in my own exercise.
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp