Before or After: Eating and Running

Options
So, I will be starting the C25K today, and will be doing it in the evening. Just curious, should I eat supper before or after I run? I have never even jogged, so I do not want to get sick. I know every runner has a first run, just curious what worked best for you...
Thanks in advance,
Lindsay

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Always eat after, when your runs start to get longer, then I would eat something small like a piece of bread with PB about 30 mins prior...
  • christinagriffith
    christinagriffith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm on week four day 3 and I always eat after... I run in the AM and PM so either way I don't want all of that food bouncing around my belly! Good luck and sick to it!
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    is eating after recommended on any workout? Or just running??
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you are new to running, I would definitely suggest after. I always have to run on an empty stomach or else I get horrific cramps and feel like death. :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I would recommend it after any workout. If you are doing a long workout, have something small about 30 min prior.
  • coka1101
    coka1101 Posts: 2
    Options
    I run everyday...and I eat after. I think with any exercise you should eat after you exercise not before. Good luck!
  • «lindsay»
    «lindsay» Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks, and this does make sense. I do not want to get sick while I am starting this, or it may discourage me from continuing. I am super duper excited about this!!!
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options

I would recommend it after any workout. If you are doing a long workout, have something small about 30 min prior.

Thank you :)

Ipiwonka - Keep up the awesome attitude :) You're doing great!
  • AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    Options
    I always like to have a small snack before and then eat my meal a little while after. But that's just me...I find if I don't have anything in my stomach I tend to get lightheaded & feel like I'll pass out.
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    For me (working out on the elliptical machine), if I'm working out 30 mins or less, I just eat after. If I work out more than that I have to have something small before the workout or I'll get massive headaches and dizzy spells. Usually just a banana or apple. I do work out immediately after waking in the morning though, so that may have something to do with it.
  • auttyfrmca
    auttyfrmca Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I trained for the marathon and was doing 10-20 mile runs I would eat a english muffin with a little peanut butter. and on the bigger runs I would gu once or twice during the run. but I work out quite often for about an hour in the morning and I don't eat before those, just when I'll be doing a 2 hour run!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run on an empty stomach, unless I'm going longer than 45 minutes, then I have a peice of fruit.

There's really not any "rules" about eating and running. Just do whatever's more comfortable for you.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I always eat a snack, usually a slice of bread with peanut butter, an hour before I run because once I ran on an empty stomach and before I was finished I got really weak and shaky and faint.