Need advice

Options
I started tracking 30 days ago, and I'm not losing like I expect to. I lost 4 lbs over the holidays, and then 4 more a week or so after. But for the last 2 weeks I've only lost half a pound, which is frustrating.

Can anyone give some advice on what I can do better? I've opened my diary for a day or so, any help is welcome!

Replies

• LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    focus on the fact that you are still losing, dont focus on the number! are you staying within your daily macros? are you working out a lot which in turn is building muscle? are you eating enough calories?

I, personally, never weigh myself. I base my results purely on measurements, how my clothes fit, and progress pictures. The scale can be deceiving, especially if you are working out and building muscle.
  • Helenov
    Helenov Posts: 56
    Options
    I've added exercise to my routine - swimming laps, skating, a riding lesson once a week (don't worry it's a big horse ;). I've worked up to swimming 3/4km once a week. I've also added smaller things like push-ups, stretching, and ping-pong at work every few days. So not a gym... but active.

Mostly staying inside my macros - a couple of days last week I went over a bit, but was also under on other days.

I've lost 2 inches off my hips, but that isn't really much, yet. Ive got a lot to lose so was expecting to lose a bit more at first.

Any advice?
  • LetsMakeupXtina
    LetsMakeupXtina Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i looked at your diary and it looks pretty good from what i can tell... i know its easy to get discouraged when the lbs arent dropping off at the rate you want them to.. but if you are looking for long-term and for life weight loss... slow is the way to go!! as long as you are losing weekly then you are doing something right! look up what 1 lb of fat looks like... so you can really visualize how much it is... you should be super stoked on your progress, even if its a 1/2 lb loss a week <3
  • Helenov
    Options
    lol... just need my body to obey my goals...
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You're 10% of the way to your goal. TEN PERCENT. That's AWESOME!!

Sometimes we just have to focus on the things that are good about what we're doing. Not everyone drops 10 lbs right away when they start eating right, especially if they add more exercise. You might just be the kind of person that just loses slower than others. When I was losing over a long-term period, I lost on average less than a pound per week. It's ok, don't sweat it. Focus on how your body is SO much healthier with all the good foods you're feeding it. Even without weight loss, you're adding years of health to your life. GOOD JOB!!

You've GOT this. You KNOW how to do it. IT'S WORKING!! The tough part now is only to just keep doing what you're doing. But keep doing it... maybe for two years. But just keep doing it!
  • Helenov
    Options
    Wow, that is really motivating, thank you!!
  • brandiane
    brandiane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If it isn't happening as fast as you want, maybe go for a walk or run a day, or maybe try lowering your calories to 1400 a day and see if you can handle that. You are dong great so far, keep up the good work.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You might try lowering the calories to 1400-1500 tops. Also, take a look at protein and sugar. I can't really tell from your diary, but you may not be getting enough protein (a problem for women as we get older) or too many hidden sugars.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You dont need and help just patience :happy: your doing fine. Sometimes things just slow down, there could be no reason aside from just a small stall or it can be a change in something your eating or drinking. I notice when I'm nearing my time of month I lose NOTHING I stall for about 2 weeks and then suddenly BOOM I'm down a few pounds. So just be patient and keep at it. Just remember sometime you stall and that the body's was of adjusting and getting used to the changes. I've also stalled for a whole month for no ascertainable reason - i.e. food was fine, I was doing ok with exercise, nothing had changed foodwise, etc.
  • Helenov
    Options
    That's really helpful, thank you
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Good news is you have a whole lifetime to get this right! Keep moving foward, one day at a time, one meal at a time, one minute at a time. You'll never regret eating better and moving more.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, off topic, but I want the horse on your counter. I'm guessing Friesian (though he looks like a big boy) but since I can't see all of him... *melts*

Back on topic. As someone else said, focus on the loss and keep working. You know you're doing the right thing, that what you're doing will lead to results eventually. After all, it took a long time to gain it and it might take a long time to lose it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
  • ohhman10
    Options
    That is frustrating!

But keep going!

Your diary looks awesome. I also suggest going 1400 calories and seeing how you feel. I eat 1200-1400 a day and no I don't starve. :)
  • Helenov
    Options
    Thanks brower, I think it is a Friesian... that's my motivation - when I get to my goal weight, I'm getting my own horse. Maybe a Friesian if I win the lottery, lol. Wanted a horse all my life, now nothing but my weight is holding me back. :-)

So from what everyone is saying, I think I'll hang on where I am for one more week, and if nothing happens, I guess I'll cut calories a bit lower for a few days and see how that feels/works.