Konjac (which i know as konyaku) - sharing a tip!

Options
trudijoy
trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
Hi all

From my time living in Japan I remembered this product, and i've found it in a Western style supermarket today and thought I'd share it.

The product is called konjac http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konjac but I know it as konyaku and prefer it as ito-konyaku. It resembles noodles, can be used as noodles or as pasta, has practically zero calories and is filling. SO if you're struggling to keep down calories maybe look into it? It's super common with girls in Japan as a diet food and it's gluten, soy, animal product etc free. Tonight I mixed a packet up with pomodoro sauce, precooked chicken and a bit of cheddar, with a salad, and it was yum.

Anyway, if you're interested, check it out :)

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Miracle noodles some may know them as. There have been some mega threads on them.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    i just started on the message boards today - miracle noodles? haha nice.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    sooooo....what are they actually made of then?
  • trudijoy
    Options
    i've always seen it translated as yam. It's a tuber, anyway. High in fiber but low in literally everything else.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the boards then!

I like to use them in Asian dishes in place of rice noodles. I don't eat them a lot but they are handy when you are short on calories at times.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    haha thanks.
  • graceangelina
    Options
    Wow, this is fascinating. which major supermarkets can i buy these konyaku noodles? or are they only in whole foods or can only order them online?
  • trudijoy
    Options
    i live in NZ so I'm probably not much help in that respect sorry. I got them at New World which is a standard every day supermarket here but i'm going to check my local fave Japanese shops for them too.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    In australia they are under the name of slim pasta or slim noodles located in the health food isle of coles supermarkets. They are great.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    yup thats the brand I got today. :) precooked and SO easy. not cheap at $5 kiwi a pack but still not too bad for one pack/2 meals a week
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    They are also called Shirataki noodles and are widely available (although sometimes hard to get in the winter - they can't be frozen) in Asian markets in the US.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    thats them :)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Edible =/= food, if it cannot be digested it is not nutritious so I don't know why you would post this on the Food and Nutrition board.
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    Edible =/= food, if it cannot be digested it is not nutritious so I don't know why you would post this on the Food and Nutrition board.

So, fiber is not food? Funny, the doctor keeps telling me to eat more fiber...

Sometimes getting no nutrition from something is better than the alternatives.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

I believe fibre is technically a non nutritive or indigestible carbohydrate or non starch polysaccharide, it's not classed as a regular macronutrient because it passes right through undigested and is effectively calorie free.

Hopefully your doctor is trying to get you to eat more fibre rich wholefoods (fruit, veg, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, wholegrains) - supplementing with fibre only can bind and sweep micronutrients out of the body so should usually only be undertaken with medical advice. Basically excessive fibre can sometimes act as an anti nutrient so it's not necessarily better than the alternatives.

/dry biology lesson.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I love the miracle noodles and tofu shirtake noodles to bulk up meals (when I'm not in comp. prep) and I also buy it in powder form. I add the powder to shakes and sauces to thicken them up without any extra calories... it's pretty handy!
  • graceangelina
    Options
    Thank you. I'm from the US so i'll check my local asian markets!
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Oh, I was hoping this thread was about Cognac! :D
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options

So you'd eat sawdust?

As to the OP, I tried them once. Found them to be slimy, and funny smelling (even after rinsing per package directions).
  • JUDDDing
    Options

So you'd eat sawdust?

Well, it sounds less appealing than "Cellulose" when you say it like that - but sure.