Alzheimers / Dementia

Options
PegasusDeb
PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
Having a family crisis that all signs are looking towards Alzheimers. Does anyone have any suggestions on this subject? I've been doing some research & get a little overwhelmed (and sad). Are there any really good webs that I should check out, or support groups? She has finally admitted that there "could" be something wrong & she has agreed to see a doc. So I am hoping that is a step in the right direction. I've read that these issues could even have something to do with a thyroid issue, which she has, has anyone had this experience?
I know you guys aren't docs, and I am not asking for medical advice. I'm sure someone has had someone touched by this disease, and hoping to get some insite on what to expect or if there is anything to suggest in this long road ahead for my family.
Thank you.

Replies

• Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you & your famiily are having to go through this. I wish I had some information or advice that could help. I wish you & your family all the best while fighting this battle.
  • jobster68
    Options
    Sorry to hear of this. This disease is so horrible. I have two experiences of it. My nan has just turned 92 and is in a home - she has dementia. Bless her she is very happy on her own little planet and she does know that you are a member of her family or that she knows you when you go to see her, she just doesn't have you pegged as the right person. My mum on the other hand had early on-set dementia, she was diagnosed at 57 and she very sadly passed away at the age of 61 just over three years ago now. At the end she did not know who anyone was and could not walk, talk, feed herself, she was basically like a baby again. I don't know where abouts you are, I am in England, and the Dementia Society were absolutely brilliant with help, advice and support so you could maybe contact them. My biggest advice would be to spend as much time with your loved one as you can whilst they are still aware of who you are in their life.

Sorry if this sounds all very negative and has gotten you down a bit but this is such a mean spirited disease.

My thoughts are with you as you embark on the journey that follows.
  • teeniemarie619
    teeniemarie619 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The sooner they get diagnosed - they can get started on meds to slow the progression. My mother was also diagnosed with early onset. She is 67 right now, and is still ok, but has almost no short-term memory, and has fits of rage with my father who is her caregiver. She still thinks she is able to do a lot of things, but she really can't. It's very hard and requires a lot of patience. Unfortunately, the medicine hasn't helped my mother too much because she also suffers from depression resulting from the loss of her parents (my grandparents) within 7 months of each other - 3 years ago. Look online, ask your doctor for information and if possible, definitely seek out a support group. My thoughts & prayers to you & all who are going thru this.
  • johnstephen1
    Options
    Sorry to hear from about this problem. Alzheimers / Dementia is a big health problem these days. One of my friend's mother have faced this problem and have taken the advantages of Mas Home Care. I hope till now everything would fine. You may also search about them at mashomecare.com .
  • westerly34
    Options
    umm its usually due to not enough acetylcholine in the CNS. Im a pharmacy student and I know the drugs used to treat alzheimers are mostly directed towards increasing the acetylcholine in the brain.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Make sure the Dr does a test for B12 deficiency.
  • paine016
    paine016 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There's a work of fiction written by a doctor called "Still Alice." It's about a woman who has early-onset Alzheimer's and what her life is like. how it changes, how the disease progresses. Good example of how a patient may feel, what may happen, etc. as well as being a great read.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about this so I probably shouldn't waste your time but I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this and your loved one too. :flowerforyou: