Frying in oil affecting calorie counts?

Hello everyone =)

I am wondering how much frying something in oil affects the calorie count of foods, and whether or not it's advisable to actually count the calories from the oil?

For example.... scrambled eggs, when I look at the nutrition facts , are the calories from the oil required to fry them assumed to be included? if I fry them in oil, or butter, should I add this in? There are a lot of foods that require frying or a bit of oil to cook them in, and it seems like it should be a given that they be included.... but when it comes to certain foods, that tend a bit extra greasy, I'm wondering if I should account for it...

After all, potatoes deep-fried are supposed to pack on a huge amount of calories vs them baked in the oven right?

Or perhaps I'm over-thinking things a bit?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Uh, yeah. It counts. Never heard of fried scrambled eggs. But, yeah you count all the butter and oil.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Definite add what oil/butter/margarine you add to the pan.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    sometimes if I dont use a non stick I use a teaspoon of olive oil with my eggs so they dont stick. Olive oil isnt too bad for fat/calories. Sunflower oil is better i hear.
  • sara1029
    sara1029 Posts: 18 Member
    If you eat it track it......... try Pam and save your olive oil for salad or steamed veggies. Spray butter can also be used with a good nonstick pan.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    I use pam spray for a lot of things. Zero calories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    Just make sure when the can is empty that you add the 525 calories somewhere.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

It's not actually zero calories, because there's a loophole in the law in the USA that allows companies to list something as zero if the serving size is below a certain number. The serving size for those things is usually one spray for 1/4 of a second or something like that, so if you do a long spray or several sprays, the calories will start to add up. I totally don't agree with this rule because it's misleading. Zero times any number equals zero, so listing zero calories implies you can use as much as you like and it'll still be zero calories. In the UK, very low numbers of nutrients are listed as "trace" not zero.

If you're genuinely only using one or two short sprays of this stuff, it's not going to add up to enough calories to make a difference, however I know of cases where people have used a lot at one time repeatedly for different meals, and it's hindered their weight loss.

I sometimes use my own DIY oil spray (i.e. just oil in a regular spray can) but I weigh it and count the calories in it. Even just 2-3g of oil has quite a few calories. (I put the pan on the kitchen scale, zero the scale, spray in the oil and record the number of grams of oil)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I count all the oil i used to cook it in, or butter or olive oil, etc.

If I put two tablespoons butter in the pan fried my eggs in that i count 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons butter, bad example but you get the idea.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Well, I do use it daily. One quick spray to scramble my egg with in the morning. A quick spray in the saute pan if I'm making up a veggie burger. I used to make pancakes with them, but haven't had pancakes for quite some time.

OP, you can find Pam in the database that does have a clorie count, maybe 2-3 calories? I don't take the time to log that, though maybe I should. Anyhow, it's an option to reduce the calories as compared to frying in oil. HTH!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Most definitely log the oil. It all adds up!
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    :flowerforyou: i do not fry anything at all. if you have to use oil it is not good for you. get some green pans that are stick free & do not have bad components in the pan to come off. you will never have to use pam again. have you ever tried dropping an egg in boiling water to poach it. zero calories added.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Well, I do use it daily. One quick spray to scramble my egg with in the morning. A quick spray in the saute pan if I'm making up a veggie burger. I used to make pancakes with them, but haven't had pancakes for quite some time.

If it's just a quick spray each time then it won't add up to very many calories. I just wanted to mention it because it's misleading and I know of people who have used way too much thinking that it really doesn't have calories in it.
  • animemoon5
    animemoon5 Posts: 55 Member
    Thanks everyone =) It was something I've been taking for granted... Slightly embarrassed now since it's sounding like it should have been obvious, but ah well, I'm learning! Thank you again =)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    It's zero calories because the serving size is infinitesimal small, so small that it's physically impossible to spray that amount using that can.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    :flowerforyou: i do not fry anything at all. if you have to use oil it is not good for you.

Lol.

Good oil, such as olive, IS good for you. Lol. Geez. Where do you get your info?
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Yes, log it :-) I have started using coconut oil for frying eggs, sauteing vegetables and things like that. It doesn't take much and has a lot of good nutritional value. Pam would be okay too, but personally, I try to stay away from processed foods with tons of ingredients I don't recognize.
  • backpackerchik
    backpackerchik Posts: 3 Member
    Does that also mean that if you use oil in a muffin pan to serve as "non stick" that you should count that also? Assuming the answer is "yes" then I guess using muffin liner cups is healthier/ better for you, right?
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    I use cast iron to cook with and always use oil or usually butter. But I am not afraid of fat, I am afraid of grains because that causes problems with my triglycerides.. I just count it. Typically one or two two eggs in my mini fry pan (I like to make perfect little egg patties for my sandwiches) takes a half to one tablespoon of butter. There is some oil left in the pan, I just count in what I put in the pan regardless of if I actually consumed it.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Does that also mean that if you use oil in a muffin pan to serve as "non stick" that you should count that also? Assuming the answer is "yes" then I guess using muffin liner cups is healthier/ better for you, right?

Only if you eat the paper to get the fiber ;) Don't eat muffins though, they are bad for you :D
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    :flowerforyou: i do not fry anything at all. if you have to use oil it is not good for you. get some green pans that are stick free & do not have bad components in the pan to come off. you will never have to use pam again. have you ever tried dropping an egg in boiling water to poach it. zero calories added.
    Fat does not make you fat. Your body needs fat to survive. Do not fear the fat.