converting icecream weight??125ml =how many grams

Options
I have been searching the web for this answer with no luck,I think I have been eatting to much ice cream per serving.I have been scooping out 125g but I am pretty sure that does not equal 125ml.Any body out there know what the real amount of grams are in 125ml of icecream?

Replies

• dtiapril
    Options
    OK next time you buy a full tub weigh it.

Divide the number of grams in the whole tub by the number of ml in the whole tub. This will tell you how many grams there are per ml of ice-cream and will allow you to calculate the calories accordingly.

Yes, there is a little extra weight because of the packaging but if anything you will be overestimating the calories slightly.

The other option is to just add the entire tub to your tracker on day one and then it's done. It only works if you look at your tracker over a week rather than strictly on a daily basis though. I used to do this with milk because I couldn't be bothered estimating all the bits of milk I put in coffee - I just tracked the full pint and then didn't track milk again until I opened a new one.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is made with milk which is less dense than water. It contains a lot of air too. Search for 'ice cream density' or look on packs (some have the weight and the volume). It varies by brand and even within brand.

If the pack only gives the volume, the way to get the density is:
    * Weigh the pack full.
    * Weight the pack empty.
    The difference is the weight of the ice cream.
    Divide the weight by the volume.

You should find the numbers for density come out in the range 0.65 to 0.85. I suspect your 125 ml will be in the range 80 to 110 grams.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I have been searching the web for this answer with no luck,I think I have been eatting to much ice cream per serving.I have been scooping out 125g but I am pretty sure that does not equal 125ml.Any body out there know what the real amount of grams are in 125ml of icecream?

How long is a piece of string, depends how much *free* air the manufacturer whips into the product to save money some products are half air. If the weight is not listed, weigh the tub full and again empty and do the maths.