Please recommend some strength training dvd's to me!

Options
I started out my weight loss journey in October 2011. I have lost 65 lbs so far (would have lost more by now but I took a big break last summer. Didn't gain weight back but didn't continue to lose). Anyway, now that I'm back at using MFP and exercising consistently, I haven't lost any more. I do not think I'm eating too much, if anything maybe too few. I'm at 1440 calories per day and I do eat back my exercise calories. I started out "allowed" to have 1570 calories in the very beginning.

Anyway, my cousin who recently lost 130 lbs and went to school to become a personal trainer told me that when you are in a plateau, change up your workout or add something to it. I told her all that I've been doing (Lots of cardio dvd's!) and she said that it's good but I need strength training too, probably at least every other day.

I agree, and I knew that before but I really do best when I can follow a video. That is what seems to work the best for me. I know others might find videos at home boring, but it's really what I need to do in order to stick to something. I like that I can do them in the privacy of my own home whenever I feel like it, looking however I want to, and without having to drag my kids all over the place or pay for them to go to a kids area at the gym. I haven't known where to begin looking for a strength dvd before now, that is why I haven't really done much strength. I do pilates, but my cousin said that is really more core toning, and I need full body strength training. I really love collagevideo.com for reading reviews on different videos and watching clips from them to help get an idea of what they are like, but in the "muscle toning" video category, there are lots of pilates type options too, so it's hard for me to figure out which videos are really good full body strength training and which are just lighter core type stuff.

Do you have any favorite strength videos? What are ones that really work the whole body? I have lots of cardio options and some of them have some toning mixed in too, so I really just need some toning alone, not cardio toning because I really think I have enough of that type of thing already.

There is one particular video I was reading about on collagevideo.com, it was some new kettleball workout for beginners. reviews say it's not for the very first time kettle ball user, is there one that is? I'm interested in trying one but I don't want to hurt myself obviously. I haven't really done too much with weights. My cardio dvd's have a lot of arm workouts and such but not with weights. So It's not that I am brand new to using my arms, but I still probably can't jump into advanced stuff off the bat either.

Thanks!

Replies

• Hericksen
    Hericksen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I like Jari Love's strength training DVD's. It's not hard core heavy lifting but for basic stuff and getting started I think they're great. You can increase the weights to whatever you can handle and I like having routines I can do at home.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Les Mills Body Pump. It's 60 min of all over strength. It's not a muscle builder but it's a great way to start
  • djseacow
    Options
    Hey!
    Ok I have completed Tap Out XT, Body Pump, Insanity, and Asylum. I am starting Rush Fit this monday. From all of these I got the most strength and tone from asylum and body pump. The other ones are amazing choices as well. I am a HUGE fan of at home fitness.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Chalean extreme is great
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Invest in Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. It's $100 on amazon and you will only need the cable that comes with it and 3, 5, and 8's. It is only 30-35 per day six days per week with one rest day. It's a 3 month program consisting of 3 phases. There are 12 workout dvd's and 3 cardio dvd's. I have just one week left. I have lost 23 pounds and gotten much more toned and lost inches everywhere. There are consistently great results across all different types of people.

I think you would like it because Jillian goes back and forth between stregnth and cardio moves throughout each 30 minute session.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Bump as I am looking for ideas too :smile:
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Nike training club application on iPhone and iPad. Free of charge.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Check out Cathe Friedrich DVDs/downloads, particularly the Muscle Max or Gym Style series'. Or if you're looking for a longer training program, look into STS - it's a 3 month full body strength training program. You will need some weights/step/stability ball/resistance bands or access to a gym though.

Edited for typo.
  • thomas127
    Options
    Check out Mark rippletoes Starting Strength Dvd and book, This will probably be the best and fastest way to gain strength as a beginner. IF you are willing to lift heavy weight. for low repetitions.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I like Jari Love's strength training DVD's. It's not hard core heavy lifting but for basic stuff and getting started I think they're great. You can increase the weights to whatever you can handle and I like having routines I can do at home.

I am a beginner, looked into her and she looks great! Thanks!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Check out Mark rippletoes Starting Strength Dvd and book, This will probably be the best and fastest way to gain strength as a beginner. IF you are willing to lift heavy weight. for low repetitions.
    This right there is what I was gonna say.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I would like 20 -25 mins max without special equipment if possible (open to the idea of a ball) - do the toning sections of other DVD s count? I did one using a pole yesterday.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    This right there is what I was gonna say.

x3
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would like 20 -25 mins max without special equipment if possible (open to the idea of a ball) - do the toning sections of other DVD s count? I did one using a pole yesterday.

Toning is a myth.

If you're looking for a program designed to truly get you stronger without the use of gym equipment you might want to check out two books:

Convict Conditioning

You Are Your Own Gym
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Need to have someone doing it to copy or I won't do it at all:blushing: And I had good results with Rosemary Conley's flatter stomach prog, but its video and I'v not got a VHS hooked up any more. I don't want to be strong per se, just firm.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Butt Bible. Its has upper and lower workouts, 3 levels each. It's free on YouTube. You will need hand weights. As heavy as you like each exercise is around 8-12 rep range.
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nrsblc
    nrsblc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Any of Jillian's dvds are awesome. I've just been doing the 30 day shred by her and in only 17 days, i can see a noticable difference! After the shred, im moving on to Jillian's Ripped in 30 and then 6 week 6 pack dvds. Highly recommended!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    www.fitnessblender.com

Free workout videos of any kind.