headaches after excercise

Options
Ive recently started doing a few quit intense classes at my gym 3 times a week and and the next morning after doing these i always get up with headache has anyone else heard of this, i have to admit im not the fitest of people but i dont suffer from blood pressure or any othere medical conditions, the classes are two circuit trining type classes involving lots of weights and cardio and the 3rd is boxercise and the on top im doing a half hour toning class.
Any body got any suggestions.

Replies

• cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Dehydration can cause headaches. Are you getting enough liquids? You need to up your water/liquid intake when you start an exercise regimen, unless you already drink a lot.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have migrains but not usually from exercise. I wake up with them almost everytime. They come if I eat garlic or red wine (but only sometimes) and they always come if I am dehydrated (central heat is super drying). Maybe your workouts are dehydrating you? Increased blood pressure to the brain can set them off too. I don't know how to avoid that other than aspirin which thins the blood, but also has side effects.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, especially after a workout :)
  • whyldebear
    whyldebear Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i do drink whilst im working out maybe i need to drink more and maybe keep it up once i get home, ill try this next week thanks for the tips x
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Your food diary is closed, but are you getting enough calories? If you not getting at least 1200 calaries, then you could be starving your body and that will give you headachs. Also as other stated, you need to make sure your getting at least 8 - 8oz glasses of water a day. You said you have high blood pressure. are you taking medicine for this? If not , you need to check with your Dr. it could be your blood pressure getting too high.

I hope this helps
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm prone to migraines as well, and if I don't get enough water my head just kills me after a workout. Get at least 64 ounces a day, more when you work out harder.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I dno but i had my first strenuous workout today that was strenght training, i got a mild headache from it and had to rest after.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned, check your fluids and make sure you are eating enough. Load up on potassium/ magnesium. If headaches do t go away GO TO DR!!! You may have an underlying issue. Most likely not, but better safe......you know.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You might not be drinking enough water & you also might be working out harder than you think you are. I started working out a couple of weeks ago after not being very active for a couple years, when I used to be very active all growing up. I didn't realize some of the side effects that can happen in that situation. Part of it will probably go away the more your body gets used to working out, but I still think you might need to drink more water. I don't drink enough cuz I don't get very thirsty often, but I'm trying to work on it.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If I start with a semi-headache or if I have that headachey feeling (as if I'm about to get one or something) I notice that working out makes it worse. But going from not having a headache at all to a headache after working out rarely happens unless I work out TOO hard
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    One more thing i judt remembered from my athlete days. It could be that you are sweating out alot of fluid( minerals) and are you just drinking loads of plain water?? Could be you are lacking salt, electrolites sp??? I know if i run alot in summer, plain water will give me a headache
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yea as said above the main cause of headache while training would be dehydration
  • aalpass
    aalpass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Even at my fittest I experienced this after an intense workout. I tried everything and worked out it was as simple as tension in my shoulders/neck. Doing basic shoulder rolls and neck stretches after my workout and for that day made a HUGE difference.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    And if you are working hard or in the heat you might need to consider your electrolytes. One drink of something like Gatorade on top of your water could help.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    What sort of classes are you doing?
  • sazidelbi
    sazidelbi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dehyrdration and the loss of essential body salts.
    I see you're from UK, so pop down to Boots and pick up Dioralyte (it's normally associated with a hangover cure!!). One sachet with water and within 15 minutes you should feel fine again. If it doesn't work, then perhaps see your GP.
  • whyldebear
    Options
    Your food diary is closed, but are you getting enough calories? If you not getting at least 1200 calaries, then you could be starving your body and that will give you headachs. Also as other stated, you need to make sure your getting at least 8 - 8oz glasses of water a day. You said you have high blood pressure. are you taking medicine for this? If not , you need to check with your Dr. it could be your blood pressure getting too high.

I hope this helps

Im not currently filling my diary in on hear so there wouldnt be much to see any way as im doing slimming worl and so i have to fill a diary in for that and didnt want to do it twice, i think you miss read my post i dont have blood pressure low or high so its not to do with that.
    im thinking i need to drink more fluid after my work out i drink plenty befor and during but not really after. ill try this thank you
  • whyldebear
    Options
    You might not be drinking enough water & you also might be working out harder than you think you are. I started working out a couple of weeks ago after not being very active for a couple years, when I used to be very active all growing up. I didn't realize some of the side effects that can happen in that situation. Part of it will probably go away the more your body gets used to working out, but I still think you might need to drink more water. I don't drink enough cuz I don't get very thirsty often, but I'm trying to work on it.

im just like you i have to force my self to have a drink as i dont feel thirsty often but i am making sure i drink water not pop even if i do have to make myself opefully it will get better.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I recently started getting headaches during exercise... I have been doing the same thing so for a few months so it is new that it just came on. I am trying to make sure I drink more water during my workouts.. I was guilty of not doing that all the time. i also took a couple days off and ate a little more just in case I wasn't eating enough. (i always eat more than 1200 cal, sometime way more) Today i am going to try again with a protein bar before I go and water in hand..

Oh and I do eat before I workout on majority of occasions..