Quinoa recipes!?!

Options
MPH2
MPH2 Posts: 36 Member
A pound of Quinoa in the pantry, need some ideas. Is there a risotto quinoa recipe out there?

Replies

• cmccune712
    cmccune712 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like to mix my quinoa with some black olives, a litle feta cheese, red onion, and some red wine vinegar. It is very tasty!
  • jessicakate26
    Options
    I have to say that I LOVE quinoa!!! I get the Biggest Loser emails and this recipe actually came across my desk last week (I think I am going to try that this week and sub chicken for the turkey):

Quinoa Tabbouleh with Roast Turkey and Tomatoes

You can eat this as a salad, wrap a serving in lettuce leaves, tuck a serving in a whole wheat pits, or serve it as a side dish.

MAKES 4 (1-1/4 CUP) SERVINGS

Ingredients:
    2 cups water
    1 cup dry quinoa
    2 cups halved cherry tomatoes (or 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced)
    1 cup diced, seeded, peeled cucumber
    1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 Tablespoon grated lemon peel
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 scallions (white and green parts), finely chopped
    2 cups shredded or diced roast turkey breast (without skin

Instructions:
    Place the water and quinoa in a 1-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and turn down the heat to a low simmer. Let the quinoa cook for about 15 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat and allow the grain to cool.

Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, lemon juice, oil, lemon peel, salt, pepper, and all but 1 Tablespoon of the scallions. Add the cooled quinoa to the mixture and stir just to blend. Cover and chill.

To serve, divide the tabbouleh among 4 plates. Top with the turkey. Garnish with the reserved scallion. This dish can be made 1 day in advance.

Nutrient Analysis Per Serving:
    310 calories, 27 g protein, 35 g carbohydrates (3 g sugars), 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 35 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 420 mg sodium
  • thunderhorse
    Options
    The below recipe is from our LCBO Food & drink recipe website, from the Spring 2007 edition. I didn't make it myself but I have had the below dish and it is quite delicious. There seems to be many steps but if you have time I think it's worth it.

Mountain Quinoa Risotto by Lucy Waverman

Utah's Red Mountain is an adventure spa where hiking and biking are the main pastimes in addition to exercise classes and spa treatments. It is located in a magnificent part of the United States where the spectacular Red Rock Canyons take your breath away and National Parks such as Zion are filled with hiking trails and beauty at every stop. This Quinoa Risotto is adapted from Red Mountain. It is served on its own or a half portion as an accompaniment to fish or chicken. The chef, Chad Luentje, says the truffle oil is to give a mouthfull of richness when you eat the risotto.

1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
    2 tsp (10 mL) chopped garlic
    1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
    1 cup (250 mL) arborio rice
    ½ cup (125 mL) Chardonnay or other white wine
    3 to 4 cups (750 mL to 1 L) hot vegetable stock or water
    ¼ cup (50 mL) each shiitake and oyster mushrooms, slivered
    1 cup (250 mL) baby spinach
    ½ cup (125 mL) red bell pepper, chopped
    ½ cup (125 mL) edamame beans or peas
    1 cup (250 mL) cooked quinoa
    (combine ¼ cup/50 mL raw quinoa with ½ cup/125 mL water
    and simmer covered for 15 minutes)
    ¼ cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 tsp (10 mL) white truffle oil

1. Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 2 minutes
    or until softened. Add dry rice and continue to sauté for 4 minutes or until the rice is lightly browned.

2. Deglaze the pan with wine and continue cooking until the liquid is evaporated. Add the vegetable stock, 1 cup (250 mL) at a time, stirring often, until the rice is cooked.

3. Add in the remaining vegetables vegetables and cooked quinoa, along with another splash of stock. Stir until they are fully incorporated
    and the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Season to taste.

4. Serve hot with a small drizzle of white truffle oil.

Serves 8
  • jmllight
    jmllight Posts: 2
    Options
    Quinoa Pilaf
    One cup Quinoa (uncooked)
    2 cups vegetable broth
    EVOO
    1/2 cup diced carrots
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1 cup diced red peppers
    1 cup diced green peppers
    approx 10-12 snow peas
    garlic (as little or as much as you like, you can also do without if you do not like garlic)
    sea salt
    oregano
    1/4 cup roasted Pine nuts

Cook quinoa and vegetable broth in a 2 quart saucepan bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until all of the broth is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes, the quinoa will look translucent.
    Saute garlic in EVOO for 3 minutes
    Add carrots, celery, red peppers and green peppers to the garlic and saute for 5 minutes
    Add sea salt, oregano and snow peas and cover with lid. Cook for 2 minutes .
    Roast pine nuts for 4-5 minutes in oven
    Toss pine nuts and vegetable mixture with the quinoa.
    Serve warm.

Quinoa Pasta with tomato, basil and garlic
    1 box of quinoa pasta, any type of noodle
    1 lg can diced tomatoes (no preservatives)
    10 basil leaves, chopped
    5 garlic cloves diced
    sea salt
    oregano
    EVOO
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Cook 1 part quinoa with 2 parts water...

Then mix 1 cup quinoa with 1/2 can rotel tomatoes with mild green chilis, 1/2 can black beans, and the flesh of 1/2 an avocado. It is SOOOO good and so easy. I love it!
  • MPH2
    MPH2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks, some great ideas in there and the risotto sounds amazing.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and Black Beans
    5 servings

Ingredients
    1 tsp EVOO
    1 bunch scallions, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
    1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup frozen corn kernels
    2 cups black beans

Directions
    1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
    2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
    3. Stir frozen corn and scallions into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

Nutritional Info
    Calories: 230.6
    Total Fat: 3.6 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 308.0 mg
    Total Carbs: 42.1 g
    Dietary Fiber: 7.0 g
    Protein: 9.9 g
  • gator28fan
    gator28fan Posts: 3
    Options
    I've never tasted quinoa so I don't know anything about it. Where in a grocery store would I find it and how is it usually cooked? Is it a low calorie item or has a lot of protein.

Thanks for any replies,
    Marlene
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Marlene, I've never seen this at a regular grocery store. Costco has been carrying a little bit recently or you can find it at a food coop or a health food store. They're tiny little pellet like balls that when they're cooked up have a little tail and they taste great! You boil water and throw in the quinoa for 15 minutes. Not sure about calories but I have heard it's the only grain with all the essential amino acids.

I saute some red bell peppers, fresh corn cut off the cob and cilantro. Mix that with the cooked quinoa and sprinkkle with orange juice. Refirgerate for 2 hours. YUM!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Apparently it is actually carried at most groecery stores. I have heard it is at Loblaws in the health food section. I but it at the Bulk Barn. It isn't cheap but it tastes good.
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I prepare Long Grain Brown Rice, TVP and Quinoa in equal amounts; mix them up with a package of Fried Rice Seasoning, Chopped Green Onions, Chopped Carrots, Chopped Cilantro and Chopped Jalapeno Peppers.

It's great, fills my hunger for rice while being high in Protein and fiber. You can also add any chopped veggies you happen to have laying around.

I put it in indiviual 8 oz containers and have one every day.
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump