I'm losing my way!

Options
Help! I've been member since 1st April and did really well for about 4 weeks and since then I've been struggling to stay motivated. I think I have been "bad" 7 out of last 10 days. I don't know how to get my mojo back.

I've been logging on every day hoping some success stories will inspire, but it just seems like a bit of an uphill struggle at the moment.

Any ideas to help me get back on track?

Replies

• melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I know how you feel. When I first began I was an exercise machine and took my couting very seriously. Now I log when I can but not everyday. For the past 2 weeks I've been on "vacation" and have made some REALLY poor choices. I'm actually stressing out about how much weight I think I have gained because before we left I had finally started losing again. My advice would be to take it slow, set a daily goal for yourself and up your water intake. It's amazing how drinking more water and cutting out alcohol/sugary drinks really jump started my weight loss again. Hope you are able to find your way again!
  • lelesmama
    lelesmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try a small reward for a 5 lb loss? Like a necklace or shoes or something? I don't like buying clothes when I'm losing weight because I want to buy new outfits when I'm closer to goal.

I have been really motivated by reading the message boards (not success stories though). I find that success stories slow me down because I'm upset that 1) I'm fat again and 2) I'm not at my goal weight like those people. The other message boards motivate me though - the ones where people talk about working out, eating, etc. Just knowing that everyone else is going through the daily mundane activites while trying to stay on track helps me not lose my way. Good luck!
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    I agree with lelesmama! The success stories kind of bum me out sometimes too because I'm not where they are or it's taking me longer than I wanted/ expected. I know that everyone is diff but when I'm doing the same or more and eating better than they are but not seeing the same results, I get a lil down. So, I've stuck to the other message boards as well. Once you get back into exercising it's contagious. Sometimes you just have to break down before you finally can MAKE yourself go. Just get out and do something....I promise you will feel better and will want to do more and more. I had an "off" weekend this past weekend as well and was bummed to see no loss on the scale this morning, but the key is to just keep going and not give up. We all are here for support and that's one thing you can def count on!!! Good luck! you can do it! :wink:
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi,

Inspiration comes from within...if you feel inspired then others will inspire you...don't wait for someone else story of success...but be an inspiration to someone else...I wake up everyday with the knowledge I am one day closer to a healthier me...the support here are excellent...but you must be the first supporter of yourself...

B
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The very first thing I would do would be to get rid of any and every thing in the cabinets & fridge that aid in "being bad." :glasses: When I started this (January 4th) I first made a "conscience" decision that I was going to lose weight and be healthier and then made the announcement to my family that their world was about to be rocked. I was no longer going to cook (or buy) fattening, unhealthy foods. I did this announcement with love, of course...and I let everyone know that if they did not like what I was cooking (or buying) then they were free to go get "whatever" indulgence they wanted....meaning they had to go to the store for what they desired. I was not going to do it. :laugh: .Then we had a kitchen clean out party. Any unopened "bad" foods were sent to the local food pantry or to my son in college. The rest was pitched. I then purchased a really good "light cooking" cookbook. (Taste of Home Comfort Foods Diet. I highly reccomend!) So far I have had no complaints from my family and my hubby only goes to the store occasionally for something to satisy his sweet tooth.
    Now, 4 months and 30 lbs lighter, I feel more than great...and the compliments have begun especially from my hubby...and my last blood work was F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S! which makes this all worth while.
    And I really, really like the idea of little rewards for losing...I may have to add that to my own motivation package. :drinker:

I hope this helps to get your "MOJO" back...and I wish you the best of luck in all you do, :flowerforyou:

Jan
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I agree with lelesmama! The success stories kind of bum me out sometimes too because I'm not where they are or it's taking me longer than I wanted/ expected. I know that everyone is diff but when I'm doing the same or more and eating better than they are but not seeing the same results, I get a lil down. So, I've stuck to the other message boards as well. Once you get back into exercising it's contagious. Sometimes you just have to break down before you finally can MAKE yourself go. Just get out and do something....I promise you will feel better and will want to do more and more. I had an "off" weekend this past weekend as well and was bummed to see no loss on the scale this morning, but the key is to just keep going and not give up. We all are here for support and that's one thing you can def count on!!! Good luck! you can do it! :wink:

I read somewhere how this lady only weighed herself on Thursday morning naked in the bathroom. Reason being is because if you are going to not follow good eating it is going to be on the weekend. So she weighed herself then so it was before the weekend and also long enough away from the previous weekend that she worked off the crap she ate. Also the scale is a really horrible way to determine your progress taking your measurements is more accurate. One of my good friends wasn't losing much weight but was dropping the inches.

For me it helps to have a workout pal that way you can help motivate each other. Good luck I hope you all reach your goals.
  • maytanewfie
    maytanewfie Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi,

I'm feeling you at the moment. Today I'm trying to pull myself out of a huge spiral that has lasted the last the last two months or so. Many bad choices, and bad results to show for it. I've been makeing some better choices in last half a week or so, and as of today, I'm going to try to make MOSTLY good choices (no point in make making the unreasonable statement that I will make all good choices). One of my better choices in the last few days is to refocus on getting healthy again. I'm not sure how I fall so far into the abys when I fall, but I don't tend to things half way. Somehow finding others who are struggling is helpful for me, because I don't feel like I'm the only one who is stuck or who can't seem to overcome it. I take on a little bit of a "together we can do this" mentality. People who have made it there are almost unrelateable sometimes (although I'm immensly proud of them, and to be there one day).

When it comes to exercise, I have found that finding activities I enjoy is better than forcing myself to do the chore of exercise. If I enjoy ice skating, or a dance class, or paddling an outrigger canoe (good cardio that is), then I don't have to force myself to go, and if I actually want to go, I'm much more likely to maintain it. I also try to increase activities like walking the dog, I know how much she enjoys it, so I more likely to stick with it for awhile. (summers here are too hot for that). I have some videos that I could do at home, but I have to admit I'm not very good about it. I do better in social situations when it comes to exercise.

I'm generally good at staying focused on eatting healthy and such for about 2 weeks, then I kind of fade back into old patterns and habits. If you want to add me as a friend you can, and I'll try to check in with you and we can help keep each other on track.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm feeling you at the moment. Today I'm trying to pull myself out of a huge spiral that has lasted the last the last two months or so. Many bad choices, and bad results to show for it. I've been makeing some better choices in last half a week or so, and as of today, I'm going to try to make MOSTLY good choices (no point in make making the unreasonable statement that I will make all good choices). One of my better choices in the last few days is to refocus on getting healthy again. I'm not sure how I fall so far into the abys when I fall, but I don't tend to things half way. Somehow finding others who are struggling is helpful for me, because I don't feel like I'm the only one who is stuck or who can't seem to overcome it. I take on a little bit of a "together we can do this" mentality. People who have made it there are almost unrelateable sometimes (although I'm immensly proud of them, and to be there one day).

When it comes to exercise, I have found that finding activities I enjoy is better than forcing myself to do the chore of exercise. If I enjoy ice skating, or a dance class, or paddling an outrigger canoe (good cardio that is), then I don't have to force myself to go, and if I actually want to go, I'm much more likely to maintain it. I also try to increase activities like walking the dog, I know how much she enjoys it, so I more likely to stick with it for awhile. (summers here are too hot for that). I have some videos that I could do at home, but I have to admit I'm not very good about it. I do better in social situations when it comes to exercise.

I'm generally good at staying focused on eatting healthy and such for about 2 weeks, then I kind of fade back into old patterns and habits. If you want to add me as a friend you can, and I'll try to check in with you and we can help keep each other on track.

Something that has helped me is that even if I make a bad choice that is one day or two but not my whole life what am I going to do to change that so that I can fell good about myself. Ultimately it is what we want for ourselves and what we are willing to do for it that matters. Not what the neighbor next door thinks about it.

I too feel the same way about exercise. I have found that if I like to do the activity then I am more apt to do it rather then to bum out. My favorite exercise is going for a bike ride. Not a stationary bike I can't seem to get into that one but to actually get out and go for a bike ride. My family treats it as a family activity. We hook up the bike trailers to each bike (we have 7 children and only 3 can ride bikes at this point) and off we go the kids love it. When we ask if they want to go they all start cheering and pretty much bull dozing each other to get out the door to go. We are having fun as a family and I get an awesome workout! It's a win win!!!