Go away newbies (not really)

Options
I'm sorry, but I just CAN'T HANDLE the amount of people at my gym anymore. All of these new people with NY resolutions need to GTFO of my gym.

I'm really just kidding, I'm glad people are trying to be healthier and change their lifestyles. But cmon, I can't even hop on a frikkin treadmill anymore and my gym is always packed. >.<

Replies

• orangelobster
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I just CAN'T HANDLE the amount of people at my gym anymore. All of these new people with NY resolutions need to GTFO of my gym.

I'm really just kidding, I'm glad people are trying to be healthier and change their lifestyles. But cmon, I can't even hop on a frikkin treadmill anymore and my gym is always packed. >.<

Give it a couple more weeks and you'll see the crowds thin out. It's the same thing at my gym.
  • browneyes97
    Options
    HAHAHA! I was thinking the same thing only about Kickboxing. I was partnered up with a newbie last class and I thought I wasn't getting as good of a work out as normal; but I came home and checked my Bodybugg and I burned more calories than usual!

Pretty crazy!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    We were all newbies once! Sheez!

I actually am a personal trainer but I tend to try and workout incognito...and work out alot at home. Lately I've gotten alot of clients due to New years resolutions and because I am so busy..I have to work out at the gym now instead of home.

I love it when people who have been working out for a year or so, see me ,and think I'm a newbie. Today this one girl was sighing pretty loud when I asked if the empty spot next to hers was taken. You see I needed a place to warmup.

I could tell ,since I am a pt..that she was giving me the..."get out of my way noob" look. Stomping in front of me to get weights while I was doing some arm circles just for the fun of it..hee hee.

All the while she was giving me the evil eye for invading her "space".

so then , I threw in some one arm pushups , a few handstand pushups, and made sure to do a couple deadhang pullups and one muscleup(because I can only do one muscle up!) to remind the "veterans" not to judge the "new" people they see at the gym.
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    We were all newbies once! Sheez!

I actually am a personal trainer but I tend to try and workout incognito...and work out alot at home. Lately I've gotten alot of clients due to New years resolutions and because I am so busy..I have to work out at the gym now instead of home.

I love it when *kitten* holes who have been working out for a year or so, see me ,and think I'm a newbie. Today this one girl was sighing pretty loud when I asked if the empty spot next to hers was taken. You see I needed a place to warmup.

I could tell ,since I am a pt..that she was giving me the..."get out of my way noob" look. Stomping in front of me to get weights while I was doing some arm circles just for the fun of it..hee hee.

All the while she was giving me the evil eye for invading her "space".

so then , I threw in some one arm pushups , a few handstand pushups, and made sure to do a couple deadhang pullups and one muscleup(because I can only do one muscle up!) to remind the "veterans" not to judge the "new" people they see at the gym.
    LOVE THIS!!!!! I'm fairly new at my gym, actually I'm a returnee. But sometimes I get those looks from the "beautiful people ". It's as if I shouldn't be allowed to try to better myself because I'm not a size 3.
  • jflori
    jflori Posts: 25
    Options
    This is so true! My school's gym is fairly small, and there's never enough equipment to go around in January. Can't wait till the new years resolutions people start giving up! :P
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Haha... I used to think that every January & February. Just gotta hold out!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i kinda get this - i hate the girls who go to the gym to say they went, and do their ten minute walk on the treadmill then their 30 min stand-around-and-gossip-but-don't-use-the-equipment-they-are-blocking session. luckily they never last
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It should clear out by March. Hopefully, lol.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If it's YOUR gym, you should set up a "no new people" policy.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure the "regulars" were thinking the same thing about you.
  • theRubberBlubberWhale_Slinky
    Options

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure the "regulars" were thinking the same thing about you.
    Exactly!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Go early in the morning or late at night to avoid the newbie crowd.
  • SugarBoomBoom
    Options
    So, you were never new?

One January, two years ago at Body Pump when I was a newbie I overheard two regulars moaning about the class being full because of "those Christmas Pudding People"! So offensive.

Everyone has to start somewhere - lighten up. Live and let live. Or get a home gym.
  • Sophlilcady
    Sophlilcady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a 'new years resolutioner' and have been working out 5 days a week, I'm lucky my gym is so friendly! One of the pts set up a workout for me (and will re check as often as needed) and my commitment is unwavering. I'm LOVING it.

So if you're going to my gym (only likely if you're east of Melbourne, aus, lol) get used to me coz I ain't quitting!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I found a great solution to that.. Switch gyms.

I find that the box gyms tend to be super crowded and full of new-year resolutionists, mainly because they are cheap and easy to access.

My new gym is a wellness center, and they have a rule about no cellphones on the floor unless they are for music... and I have yet to see a person breaking those rules. It's awesome!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    serious gym members go at 530am. at least that's when i go. you must be the other kind of gym member. the one that is worried about other peoples work outs.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I started running about a year ago, and I much prefer to run outside. However, when it's 19 degrees out and windy (which it was the other night), I go to the gym and use the treadmill. I go there so rarely that people don't recognize me, and I got "the look" when I stepped onto the last available treadmill.

I did 5k faster than the people on either side of me did 2 miles though.

Sorry for crowding up the gym. :)

ETA: I was thinking about this piece of it too: It's the people who pay for the membership, but rarely or never go who are the best for the gym financially. Even the NY resolutioners probably pay for the full year. :)

I've had a membership at my gym for about 12 years, and I think I've probably been there about 50 times (total).
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Check dependency on treadmill. Should be able to walk/run outside on your own by now.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Haha I love all the feedback guys :D. (IT SHOULD be my gym, then I'd be rich!)

Happy friday
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    serious gym members go at 530am. at least that's when i go. you must be the other kind of gym member. the one that is worried about other peoples work outs.

This. Though it helps working nights and being off of work in the early mornings. :bigsmile: