PCOS can suck it

Options
I've put on 2lb! I calculated my average net after exercise is 700 a day for the last week and I have put on? PCOS can suck it. none of the maths work, I increased my calories a few weeks ago and gained a total of 11 lbs over xmas, cut lost it again, but now the weight goes up again? so disheartening that none of the math works. Anyone want to look at my diary and pick holes/suggest changes welcome.

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    That's too low a net, your net should not be less than your BMR. i.e. you're not eating enough. You need to eat back more of your exercise calories, you've been burning like 1500 cals then eating back only 300 or so on some days.

Personally, I use a different method for calculating how much to eat, where I calculate my TDEE (which includes my exercise/activty). Using this method you don't eat back any exercise calories, as they're already counted in the TDEE. This is more reliable as it's hard to estimate how much you're actually burning while working out and it's easier to adjust your calorie goal based on real world results. There's a thread "in place of a road map" which tells you how to calculate your BMR and TDEE. So long as you eat less than your TDEE, you should be losing weight. In order to fuel your body properly, you need to eat more than your BMR, so your target calories should be between those numbers, usually TDEE -20% is recommended.

If you're already doing that and not losing, then maybe you need to recalculate your TDEE. IMO the most common mistake when calculating TDEE is getting the activity factor wrong. e.g. someone calculating for moderately active when they're really lightly active.

Another very common mistake is not measuring the food carefully. Weighing food is most accurate, because a gram is a gram. However a cup measured by one person may actually weigh more (and therefore have more calories in) than a cup measured by someone else, because its very easy to overfill them, or squash the food down too much, etc. The least accurate way is to just guess from how big the portion looks. So sometimes people are tracking their calories, but due to inaccuracies they may be eating 20-30% more calories than they think they are. And so if they're aiming for TDEE -20%, they've basically eaten back that 20% deficit and then some.

So, my advice: 1. check that you're measuring everything really accurately, 2. (re)calculate your BMR and TDEE and eat your TDEE -20% and continue to work out the same, but don't eat your exercise calories because you've already included them in your TDEE. 3. look for a trend over time, i.e. slow fat loss (0.5-2lb a week) and ignore day to day fluctations in weight as this is water weight.

If you continue with the MFP recommended calories, then you need to eat back about 80% of the exercise calories (I say 80% because MFP tends to overestimate calorie burn)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Also another thing I just remembered, lower carb diets tend to work better for PCOS, I don't mean cut out carbs altogether, just eat less of them and pay attention to the quality of them (i.e. avoid processed carbs). You need carbs before and after a workout, but you don't need them so much in the evenings. A friend of mine who has PCOS has done very well with this approach, as PCOS and carb sensitivity tends to go together.

I didn't pay much attention to how many carbs you were eating when I checked your diary so if you're already eating fairly low carb then carry on with that :)
  • ClaireShepster
    ClaireShepster Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Are you taking Metformin - one of the key issues with PCOS (I have it) is the sugar in the blood which you end up burning first as things are not quite working correctly.

If your not speak to your doctor if you are check your dose and how regularly you are taking it.

I've previously lost over 30kg with PCOS and was most successful when I took metformin.

Having to loose part of that again as I got lazy!
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'll get flamed for this but try a low carb diet. Like under 100 g/day. Preferably under 50. I upped my carbs and am now maintaining. I have PCOS too.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I raised my calorie intake I starting losing more quickly. For a while I was stuck. Maybe play around with your calories to see what works for your body.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Your net is far too low. Ideally you should net your BMR.

Low carb can work very well if you have insulin resistance along with the PCOS. Personally I don't (I have PCOS though) and carbs aren't the problem for me (calories are).

PCOS is'nt the be all and end all of life and weight loss and really it shouldn't be blamed...start with upping your net calories.