HRM at gym

Options
Ok so i have a heart rate monitor NON CODED. so it will linke with any machine pretty much.

MY question is people that go to the gym and have non coded transmitters. do u find mixed signals alot? also i hear people say they can get more accurate calories burned off HRM? how? or is that the watchs? lol i know im stupid i just recently signed up for the gym and still trying to get courage to go

Replies

• FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    damn guess no one lol
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I can't answer on coded vs non-coded I'm afraid , BUT I believe the HRM is more accuratge as its asteady, constant feed direct from your body. I use a chest strap and so its always reading and more accurate. Otherwise I have to hold onto the machine sensors and thats just intermittantly.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared of the gym. You signed up for you now get to it! Choose a day and time and follow through. Once you get into the swing of things I bet the nervousness will pass. What might help is to formulate a plan. Know what you want to work on before you walk in. Start by warming up for a few minutes (or as long as you want). If you're unfamiliar with the equipment you could ask the gym for a tour. If you're new to working out consider investing in a personal training session or two and have your questions answered that way. I've seen aps for androids and apple for training, there are web sites that will give you exercises and tips on form.

As for the HRM, I've never had a problem with someone else's signal.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Ok so i have a heart rate monitor NON CODED. so it will linke with any machine pretty much.

MY question is people that go to the gym and have non coded transmitters. do u find mixed signals alot? also i hear people say they can get more accurate calories burned off HRM? how? or is that the watchs? lol i know im stupid i just recently signed up for the gym and still trying to get courage to go

the only issue I have ever had with my HRM at the gym is that for a while it would randomly be picked up by both the treadmill I was on AND the one to the left ( but never to the right!).

A HRM with a chest strap is going to give you a more accurate calorie burn on the machines because it has constant HR input. Otherwise, you have to hold onto the sensors the entire workout....

you signed up for the gym, get your butt IN THERE and do it. When I started at the gym a year ago I was about 90# overweight and just coming off a 4 month case of bronchitis and asthma flares.
  • whyldebear
    whyldebear Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i have only purchased my HRM today and await its arrival in the post so unfortunatly i cannot comment im just hoping ive bought the right one the reviews looked good but ya never know.
    congrats on joining the gym thats a big step in the right direction, id def ask an PT to work out an excercise plan gives you some structure, i however have recently discoverd a love of classes didnt want to do them before due to my inexperiance and worry that the otheres in the class would be so much better than me and no what there doing but its not like that every one works at there own pace anyway and although i see the old faithfuls week in week out theres always a new face in there 2 my poin to this is why not look at some classes see if any of them might spark an intrest that way youll make friends at the gym who eventually youll want to keep going to too meet up with them every weeek x
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You're not stupid. Just a procrastinator. Stop fiddling with your HRM and get yourself to the gym. All the gadgets and membership dues in the world don't help unless you're going to cross your gym's threshold on the regular. No gadgets required
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    Don't be scared of the gym. You signed up for you now get to it! Choose a day and time and follow through. Once you get into the swing of things I bet the nervousness will pass. What might help is to formulate a plan. Know what you want to work on before you walk in. Start by warming up for a few minutes (or as long as you want). If you're unfamiliar with the equipment you could ask the gym for a tour. If you're new to working out consider investing in a personal training session or two and have your questions answered that way. I've seen aps for androids and apple for training, there are web sites that will give you exercises and tips on form.

As for the HRM, I've never had a problem with someone else's signal.

is ur uncoded.

I dont have the watch its just a chest strap that the machines pick up cause i have a machine at home that only accepts uncoded.
  • DavPul
    Options
    have you set foot inside the gym yet? once you get there, try your hrm out (if you must) and then tell us if it worked or not.

GO TODAY
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    have you set foot inside the gym yet? once you get there, try your hrm out (if you must) and then tell us if it worked or not.

GO TODAY

im trying but im a wimp and self contoius and dont like the idea of people staring at me. im better to not go alone and i have plenty of people to go just times and working alot doesnt help
  • DavPul
    Options
    No one is going to stare. I've been going to gyms half my life and all I'm there for is me. I go to Starbucks if I want to people watch, not the gym. Go download the SS 5x5 program and get inside the gym and start moving some iron.

Everyone lifting in the gym that you go to will help you. Ask them questions. Ask them for a spot. I guarantee they will be nice to you.

You can do this