how many cals should lunch be

Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
So I dont know what to get for lunch. I dont want a lean cuisine so I was thinking a subway club on a wrap from subway but that comes to 571 calories. I already ate breakfast and I already entered my dinner and an afternoon snack and that leaves me with 180 calories left for the day. oye But is that to many calories for lunch? I dont know what else to get and I really dont feel like a frozen dinner.

Replies

• ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I usually eat about 300 calories for lunch. You could make a different choice at subway - I usually get a turkey sandwich and it's about 350-400 I think with light mayo and cheese. Are you working out today?
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    I usually eat about 300 calories for lunch. You could make a different choice at subway - I usually get a turkey sandwich and it's about 350-400 I think with light mayo and cheese. Are you working out today?

No I can't make it to the gym today.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have anywhere from 400-600 for lunch, and adjust my exercise accordingly. What are you planning on for dinner? I'd calculate the calories in that and then exercise enough to balance it all out with what you have left from lunch.
    My daily calorie limit is 1350, so I budget 350 for breakfast, 600 for lunch and 400 for dinner.
  • cthomas1967
    cthomas1967 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hopefully you realize that there are tons of options to get a lunch that's less than that, but I don't think anyone can tell you how many calories to eat for lunch. Some people eat the majority of their calories for breakfast. I don't, but my system might not work for you. Some people eat really light dinners because it helps them sleep. I don't. My breakdown is roughly 250 for breakfast, 450 for lunch, 600 for dinner, then some left-over for a light snack. That said... here's my advice:

When all else fails, and I've said this to many people here, use portion control. If a certain Subway sub that you love is 800 calories for the foot-long version, get the 6" version and you've just cut it down to 400 calories. Bring something healthy from home like carrots to eat as a snack later in the afternoon if you find yourself getting hungry.

Skip the cheese, skip the sauces (like mayo or chipotle or salad dressings) and you can cut down a LOT on calories. Once you get used to how things taste without all the fat, you might actually prefer things that way.

Good luck!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    I already calculated my fmeals and snacks for the day and I actually have almost 300 calories left.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I know this is a little late for lunch but how about making your sub into a salad eliminate the bread all together? how does that work out calorie wise?
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    I think im just going to get it since i have the calories. But I'll eat half for lunch and then the other half later in the afternoon when i get really hungry again.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    I think im just going to get it since i have the calories. But I'll eat half for lunch and then the other half later in the afternoon when i get really hungry again.

and btw..I'm rounding up too because for most of the veggies on the subway nutritional menu it says they have 0 cals but i just made them 5 ea. And Im not sure if the sandwich is even that many calories because I added the cals for the sandwich which supposedly INCLUDES the wheat bread...but then I added the wrap too so i calculated the calories of the bread and the wrap together.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    The other thing to consider is often times the wrap has more calories than the whole wheat bread ... But my Subway favorite is a foot long veggie. It comes out to 600 calories, but it's incredibly filling, SO yummy and I feel like I've cheated when in fact I just get a lot of veggies in.

My calorie breakdown is usually 300, 400-500 (including any snacks before dinner), 400-500. Unless of course I earn those exercise calories :)
  • Kelseykim
    Kelseykim Posts: 19
    Options
    If you are eating out, I think Subway is your best bet, I usually get a roasted chicken sandwich with no cheese and oil and vinegar and that comes to about 400 calories. If at home I have a yoplait fruit smoothee and that is around 300 with milk figured in. Right now strawberries are in season a cup of those is around 46 calories and a banana is about 100, mix that with a light yogurt and you have about 300 calories. If you want something more substantial make a sandwich, use the sara lee bread that is 45 calories a slice and 4oz virgina baked ham is 140 calories add lots of lettuce and mustard is only about 0 calories, and try to avoid the cheese there is a lot of saved calories if you avoid it. That is just some of my tricks, I hope that helps, because I agree with you those lean cuisine and healthy choice do not stick long with me either.
  • Kelseykim
    Kelseykim Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm sorry I forgot to mention that the calorie count for the roasted chicken sub was a 6'" on wheat bread

Good luck on meeting your goals!