Stuck at 80kg.

Options
Hi y'all.

I started using MFP again in September 2012 after a failed attempt in June 2011 and since then I've lost 20 pounds.
I'm incredibly proud of myself but for the last 4 weeks now my scale has been stuck at 80kg.
I've tried upping calories and going to the gym (for the first time in my life, how scary!)

Any tips for a stall? Will drinking more water help? I usually get around 4-5 a day.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi y'all.

I started using MFP again in September 2012 after a failed attempt in June 2011 and since then I've lost 20 pounds.
    I'm incredibly proud of myself but for the last 4 weeks now my scale has been stuck at 80kg.
    I've tried upping calories and going to the gym (for the first time in my life, how scary!)

Any tips for a stall? Will drinking more water help? I usually get around 4-5 a day.

Drinking more water will not help. How many calories are you eating? When you go to the gym, do you eat more? What type of exercise are you doing?
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring also?
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Can't see your food log so and to assess possible reasons for the stall!
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Can't see your food log so hard to assess possible reasons for the stall!
  • raichhype
    raichhype Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all.

Drinking more water will not help. How many calories are you eating? When you go to the gym, do you eat more? What type of exercise are you doing?

1480 calories a day. I eat back half of the exercise calories, sometimes not. I only really do crosstrainer, some treadmill and some exercise bike.
  • raichhype
    Options
    Are you measuring also?

I don't have a measuring tape >.<
  • raichhype
    Options
    Can't see your food log so and to assess possible reasons for the stall!

If you want to add me as a friend and view my diary then you are free too. I just don't want my diary to be public.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Set your account to maintain for a week.. essentially, it's a refeed. Make sure you eat plenty of protein. When you come back, set your account to a lower per week loss. Also, if MFP is estimating your exercise calories, then only eat 50% of them. It can be high. But more importantly, open your diary so we can provide constructive criticism.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Is that your hair? Those colors are awesome :)

And congrats on your progress so far!

How long have you been going to the gym? I've found that any time I change up my routine, I tend to stall out for a few weeks. It sounds like if you've upped your calories a bit and are eating back at least half of your exercise calories, you're really doing the right things. My main suggestion would just be to wait it out for a few more weeks, at least

One thing to consider (that works for some people) is making sure you're getting plenty of protein, and somewhat cutting back on carbs. I've set my goals to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat, and I make a conscious effort to get close to that protein goal. I'm not a fan of anything extreme (like going paleo/atkins/whatever), but I do have better results and feel more full when I get enough protein. Just a thought :)

Good luck!
  • raichhype
    Options
    Yes, that is my hair :D

I've been going to the gym for around a week now so it may be down to that as well.

I found out today that my scales aren't right either. I got weighed at the nurses office and it turns out I'm 3.5kg heavier than my scales were saying... that's what I get for buying super cheap scales!

Thankyou everyone for the advise, I only eat back half my exercise calories anyway because I know that MFP overestimates them. Plus at the gym it tells me how many calories I've actually burnt.

I will try to get more protein, as a vegetarian I do have a lack of it in my diet.