Vegetable Pancake Recipe---how to tweak?

Options
This recipe sounds so great, but I don't eat eggs. Other than an egg replacement, what are some ideas to make this a vegan dish?

http://content.markbittman.com/node/26

Makes: 4 servings
Time: At least 30 minutes

About 1 1/2 pounds grated vegetables, peeled first if necessary (3 cups packed), and squeezed dry
1/2 small onion, grated; or 4 scallions
1 egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup white or whole wheat flour, more or less
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive or vegetable oil or butter for greasing the pan

Heat the oven to 275°F. Grate the vegetable or vegetables by hand or with the grating disk of a food processor. Mix together the vegetables, onion, egg, and 1/4 cup of the flour. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add a little more flour if the mixture isn’t holding together.
Put a little butter or oil in a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted or the oil is hot, drop in spoonfuls of the batter, using a fork to spread the vegetables into an even layer, press down a bit. Work in batches to prevent overcrowding. (Transfer finished pancakes to the oven until all are finished.) Cook, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    On the container of chia seeds it says it can be used as an egg substitute in baking... does that help? I did use it in hummus and it kept everything nice and moist (I didn't use oil).
  • Amber04
    Amber04 Posts: 6
    Options
    eggs hold the bread of the pancake together... i believe... so i don't know
  • BeckyDLC
    BeckyDLC Posts: 7
    Options
    Go to this website for some suggestions on egg-subsitute alternatives. I think using the silken tofu mixed with a little liquid may work for you. You can read about it here......good luck! http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/f/eggsubstitute.htm
  • cmurphy04722
    cmurphy04722 Posts: 254
    Options
    I don't have chia seeds...but I do have silken tofu. That may work, thanks! In baked goods it's easier to substitute but for this I need something that will hold the flour with the veggies.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I was going to say tofu, too. Let us know how it works as I am also curious!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Potatoes can help hold it together instead of eggs, but that will add starch/carbs.
  • cmurphy04722
    cmurphy04722 Posts: 254
    Options
    Potatoes can help hold it together instead of eggs, but that will add starch/carbs.

I'm alright with that. Would a potato possibly work? How about a sweet potato....hehe
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Potatoes will work because of the starch. Not sure if a sweetpotato would work as well but it's worth a shot.
    There's a great recipe on vegweb.com that's for carrot hashbrowns and it uses potato as the binder.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    This might help...
    Replacement for 1 egg:
    1 teaspoon arrowroot flour
    1 teaspoon soy flour
    1/2 cup warm water
    Directions:
    Mix everything together, and bam! A substitute for 1 egg.

Not sure how this would effect your recipe but it could be worth a try. I've always just used potatoes.