Go away newbies (not really)

Options

Replies

• CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had been going to a gym for over a year and decided to try a new workout class in the new year just to switch things up. I was SO offended at the "newbie" remarks and being judged for being there that I never went back to that class. One lady walked in, looked at me and then said, "well I guess my bike is taken, hopefully this won't last long." I even offered to switch bikes and she of course was all "nice" and said no. We all start somewhere and I know I am guilty of making comments about the "resolutioners" but I would never say that out loud or act in a manor that would make someone want to quit. I never want to forget where I started and how far I've come. Everyone stars as a newbie.
  • _LA_
    _LA_ Posts: 111
    Options
    Lol! Fortunately, my gym has a gazillion cardio machines - it's the weight machines where I'm sometimes circling if I go during the wrong time of day :) If I were an after-work workouter I'd be in more trouble, I think. :)

Good luck!

And trainer lady..showing off doesn't make you look like you 'belong' there anymore. It just makes it look like you're showing off. FYI.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I posted about this in another Board; the newbies seem to have trickled away at my gym. I try not to get too snarky- exercise is good and we can't have it both ways, trying to encourage couch potatoes to take up a fitness regime and then griping when they show up in the gym. If 1/10 of them "get it" and stay, that's good.

Our gym offers a senior discount and I do find myself thinking, "if only that old guy would run instead of walk, he'd take less time and I could have that treadmill". Then I remember that I qualify for that discount this year.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I just CAN'T HANDLE the amount of people at my gym anymore. All of these new people with NY resolutions need to GTFO of my gym.

I'm really just kidding, I'm glad people are trying to be healthier and change their lifestyles. But cmon, I can't even hop on a frikkin treadmill anymore and my gym is always packed. >.<

Thats why I prefer to workout at home :)
  • Lucia120382
    Options
    Poor newbie if they see so happy and welcoming face there like yours. :tongue: :tongue:
    Give them another two weeks and they will gone, just be patient.
    But on the other hand be supportive, you never know how this change their life.
    Next time reserve your treadmill before hand.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    some flower for you to keep you happy.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    serious gym members go at 530am. at least that's when i go. you must be the other kind of gym member. the one that is worried about other peoples work outs.

Thats when I get there most the time... but twice a week i go after work, I do not care about the stupid cardio or even the weight lifting machines... it is that my gym has only one squat rack! I have asked them to get rid of one of the 4 smith machines or on one of the three "incline bench machines" and put in another rack... no such luck.

Actually I switched to front squats for a bit until the crowd thins out
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    We didn't have much of a New Year's crowd this year. Only 12 new people signed up. The people at my gym are mostly friendly, but we have a few jerks that think they own the equipment. They also think gyms should only be for "sexy" people. Thankfully these idiots only work out 3 times a week. I'm rarely there when they come in.
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am not leaving - not now, not next week, not next month, not next year. You might want to get used to me.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Check dependency on treadmill. Should be able to walk/run outside on your own by now.

I would much prefer doing my cardio outside but the high temperature this week was about 12 degrees with the windchill at 10 below, not exactly safe being outside longer than 10-15 mins
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I am not leaving - not now, not next week, not next month, not next year. You might want to get used to me.

^^^ love this! :drinker: I started end of last year, they better get used to me!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    That is why I wait until after 8pm...and then go..I can't stand waiting for something...anything, no patience whatsoever...that being said, I don't hold it against anyone else who is trying to get fit...

:wink:
  • buudharich
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I just CAN'T HANDLE the amount of people at my gym anymore. All of these new people with NY resolutions need to GTFO of my gym.

I'm really just kidding, I'm glad people are trying to be healthier and change their lifestyles. But cmon, I can't even hop on a frikkin treadmill anymore and my gym is always packed. >.<

I love getting out of work at 3pm. I adjusted my schedule so I get there an hour early.

Start swimming. Still no people in the pool.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    op your post seem a lil bipolar lol
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Lissette_Brooks Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We were all newbies once! Sheez!

I actually am a personal trainer but I tend to try and workout incognito...and work out alot at home. Lately I've gotten alot of clients due to New years resolutions and because I am so busy..I have to work out at the gym now instead of home.

I love it when *kitten* holes who have been working out for a year or so, see me ,and think I'm a newbie. Today this one girl was sighing pretty loud when I asked if the empty spot next to hers was taken. You see I needed a place to warmup.

I could tell ,since I am a pt..that she was giving me the..."get out of my way noob" look. Stomping in front of me to get weights while I was doing some arm circles just for the fun of it..hee hee.

All the while she was giving me the evil eye for invading her "space".

so then , I threw in some one arm pushups , a few handstand pushups, and made sure to do a couple deadhang pullups and one muscleup(because I can only do one muscle up!) to remind the "veterans" not to judge the "new" people they see at the gym.

YESSSSS!! SUCKAS! :P
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. . I'll stop going. :(
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym last night at about 9pm and there were about 4 other people there max. - the previous week there were about 50, its already started to thin down.

I think it is a shame, but I am optimistic in thinking that maybe they have found the time that suits them now, or the class they like.

I must admit though it was nice being able to get to the weights area without having to cut between that n cardio waiting for areas to free up, and what was nice was seeing quite a few women in the weights area :) - but the more members the more revenue the club gets, the more new shiny equipment and resources, so happy enough that it also means having to be more creative with my routines :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure the "regulars" were thinking the same thing about you.
    :heart:
    :drinker: :wink:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    serious gym members go at 530am. at least that's when i go. you must be the other kind of gym member. the one that is worried about other peoples work outs.

Thats when I get there most the time... but twice a week i go after work, I do not care about the stupid cardio or even the weight lifting machines... it is that my gym has only one squat rack! I have asked them to get rid of one of the 4 smith machines or on one of the three "incline bench machines" and put in another rack... no such luck.

Actually I switched to front squats for a bit until the crowd thins out

That's why I started going at 5:30am too. I have a feeling everyone thinks I'm a NY newbie because I used to go in the afternoons (and in December I was doing a bodyweight circuit, so I mostly did it at home). Unfortunately one of the guys has started using the squat rack for some strange things (half squats and back bends?!). But yesterday I was a little early and beat him to the rack. Guess I'll be a 5:15 girl now...
  • cfilipi74
    cfilipi74 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've got the same issue at my gym. I usually get there between 2:30 and 3:00 pm and there weren't very many people at that time, so it was very nice. But now over the last couple weeks, there have been so many people there at that time, that I can't deal with it. It's can be very hard to get on a machine sometimes. I am looking forward to the nice weather.
  • rpapesr
    rpapesr Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i kinda get this - i hate the girls who go to the gym to say they went, and do their ten minute walk on the treadmill then their 30 min stand-around-and-gossip-but-don't-use-the-equipment-they-are-blocking session. luckily they never last

I hate to discourage anyone from going to the gym but I just shake my head and want to tell these type of people to stop wasting their time. I bet these people complain that they spend a lot of money on the membership but don't get any results.. I WONDER WHY >eyeroll<