Water

What difference does it make whether I drink water, unsweetened ice tea, or seltzer?

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    I figure it can all work....
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    I guess it would all work.. but it'd still be good to have a few glasses of JUST water.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Fluid is fluid. Your body really doesn't care what form it comes in.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    just make sure that your unsweatened tea is also decaf. Otherwise, it is a diuretic and will dehydrate you... like anti-water....
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    just make sure that your unsweatened tea is also decaf. Otherwise, it is a diuretic and will dehydrate you... like anti-water....

very good point. that's like when my dad is saying his coffee counts as water... no way daddio!
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    the difference is how the body filters it out...our body is made up of something like 90% water and water is pure and not containing other things like stuff we drink, caffeine, sugar, chemicals, ect. If we drink diet pop, tea (caffeine or not...it not just water) Our body has to work at filtering it out and it's just not water.

Why don't you google it more to get the low down. I can't really explain it more than that. But like everything else...if you drink it all like with sodium/sugar food...your body will hold onto it because of the process of letting it all go.

Hope someone understand what I'm saying!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Read this thread if you want to cut through all the silly BS, myths and misinformation (it's already starting to get deep in this thread):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821181-myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements
  • maxroadrash
    maxroadrash Posts: 45 Member
    Read this thread if you want to cut through all the silly BS, myths and misinformation (it's already starting to get deep in this thread):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821181-myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements

I was glad to read this as it substantiates what I had long thought. My guess is that the "8 glasses" myth springs from the idea that drinking a lot of water will make you feel full and therefore less hungry.
    Thanks for the link.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member

Totally untrue. The amount of caffeine in tea and coffee isn't enough to cause a diuretic effect. You'd need to drink gallons of it for there to be any problem.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member

very good point. that's like when my dad is saying his coffee counts as water... no way daddio!

Untrue..... Coffee counts as water. Just make sure you also count the calories in the milk/cream/sugar or whatever else you add. If you go by the logic that coffee is a 'diuretic', you do realise that WATER ITSELF is a diuretic?

Water is water. Your body doesn't care where it comes from.