Got over my fear of the gym!

Options
I guess this is a NSV, not sure if it fall under the category.

I've been doing in home workouts on and off (because I get bored with them, like day one) for about a year.

I was complaining to my mother about I thought I'd lose more weight if I worked out more and she said "Not sure why you are making this so complicated when there a fitness center on campus"

I knew this for over a year but I didn't want to be the big girl in the gym. I know people say that no one is paying attention and that all kind of people go to the gym but I have social anxiety and all I could do was imagine people pointing and laughing at me.

After class I got the courage to visit and take a tour and I really liked the environment.

I think it just took seeing things for myself to realize that I was making a mountain out of molehill.

I returned and worked out. Not only that but I LOVE IT! I find that I am more willing to workout longer and I feel like I am putting forth more effort.

Most of all, I feel great after every workout. I woke up this morning and my first thought was "I can't wait to go to the gym."

So, I am pretty proud but I do feel silly for making such a big deal out of it in the first place. I look forward to seeing results and getting in shape.

Did anyone else have this fear?

Replies

• ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    SOOOOO proud of you!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I think most people have this fear! Good for you for overcoming it!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I still have this "fear"; for whatever reason I love going but feel like ppl are watching me bc i am overweight...I'm sure it's just ME
    Glad you overcame your fear :):):)

I will get there
  • trichards170
    trichards170 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I thought the same thing, People are going to laugh at the fat girl (me) in the gym!! I have been going for one week straight now and I love it! I think I will actually feel anxiety if I have to miss going!
  • alfredapittman
    alfredapittman Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of you because you overcame that fear and now you are better for it. I'm not gym girl so I don't have the fear. I'm just cheap...lol. Keep up the good work! The results are gonna amazing.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That's a GREAT NSV!

(Don't forget to thank "Mama" for breaking it down for ya! :wink: )
  • Dame_Venus
    Options
    @jakinesmith

I hope you will ^_^

And thank you everyone!
  • maglrod
    maglrod Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! Keep it up! :)
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I guess this is a NSV, not sure if it fall under the category.

I've been doing in home workouts on and off (because I get bored with them, like day one) for about a year.

I was complaining to my mother about I thought I'd lose more weight if I worked out more and she said "Not sure why you are making this so complicated when there a fitness center on campus"

I knew this for over a year but I didn't want to be the big girl in the gym. I know people say that no one is paying attention and that all kind of people go to the gym but I have social anxiety and all I could do was imagine people pointing and laughing at me.

After class I got the courage to visit and take a tour and I really liked the environment.

I think it just took seeing things for myself to realize that I was making a mountain out of molehill.

I returned and worked out. Not only that but I LOVE IT! I find that I am more willing to workout longer and I feel like I am putting forth more effort.

Most of all, I feel great after every workout. I woke up this morning and my first thought was "I can't wait to go to the gym."

So, I am pretty proud but I do feel silly for making such a big deal out of it in the first place. I look forward to seeing results and getting in shape.

Did anyone else have this fear?

I'm sure we all did at one time or another. They key is getting over it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!