Go away newbies (not really)

Options

Replies

• rpapesr
    rpapesr Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym last night at about 9pm and there were about 4 other people there max. - the previous week there were about 50, its already started to thin down.

I think it is a shame, but I am optimistic in thinking that maybe they have found the time that suits them now, or the class they like.

I must admit though it was nice being able to get to the weights area without having to cut between that n cardio waiting for areas to free up, and what was nice was seeing quite a few women in the weights area :) - but the more members the more revenue the club gets, the more new shiny equipment and resources, so happy enough that it also means having to be more creative with my routines :)

This is the way I should be looking at it. Thanks for the perspective :)
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't mind as long as people are truly working out. It's those who just stand around blocking the weights and taking up group ex floor space that make me crazy. Either break a sweat or get out of my way!!
  • Kmenczynski88
    Kmenczynski88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't mind as long as people are truly working out. It's those who just stand around blocking the weights and taking up group ex floor space that make me crazy. Either break a sweat or get out of my way!!

This. Don't curl in the squat rack bro, some of us are here to actually do some work.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,855 Member
    Options
    I can't help it. . I get kind of annoyed at people who sneer at other people who are new at something they've already learned. .
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I had been going to a gym for over a year and decided to try a new workout class in the new year just to switch things up. I was SO offended at the "newbie" remarks and being judged for being there that I never went back to that class. One lady walked in, looked at me and then said, "well I guess my bike is taken, hopefully this won't last long." I even offered to switch bikes and she of course was all "nice" and said no. We all start somewhere and I know I am guilty of making comments about the "resolutioners" but I would never say that out loud or act in a manor that would make someone want to quit. I never want to forget where I started and how far I've come. Everyone stars as a newbie.

I would have been so pissed off, I would have made sure to get there every class before her, just to take 'her' bike. What a total b*tch!
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    serious gym members go at 530am. at least that's when i go. you must be the other kind of gym member. the one that is worried about other peoples work outs.

I go in the afternoon on my way home from work and I don't care about other peoples workouts. I can't go before work since I start work at 6:30 and my gym opens at 6.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My one friend keeps complaining about that. I call them the resolutionists, and calmly remind her they'll be out mid Feb, beginning of March ahah
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    The BF kind of pitched a fit about a new person in our exercise room this week. (We use our apartment complex's gym.) He has bad knees so takes the elliptical, which is fine, but got very whiny when some dude was already on the elliptical. He made a crack about the guy being a newb, to which I responded with "And how long have YOU been working out?" (about a month himself) He looked appropriately sheepish afterwards.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I wish I could go up to them and say "Please stay!!! Keep on coming!! I'm exactly where you are right now 2 1/2 years ago and I've lost over 60lbs and if I can do this, YOU can do this!!!!" "Keep at it and don't give up!! "

:flowerforyou: Newbies: Don't give up! Keep on going!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Check dependency on treadmill. Should be able to walk/run outside on your own by now.

I would much prefer doing my cardio outside but the high temperature this week was about 12 degrees with the windchill at 10 below, not exactly safe being outside longer than 10-15 mins

Dress for it, and you'll be fine. You can run at 0F (-18C) no problem, I did it earlier this week. I only gave up outside when it got down to -24C (-11F) because the windchill was -38C (that's -36F)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I am not leaving - not now, not next week, not next month, not next year. You might want to get used to me.
    Good for you...but the truth is, most of the January 'resolutionisnts' WILL fade away...so OP, give it time. Some of us DO get that you're mostly kidding

I feel the same way at my gym - I go early in the morning and that crowd tends to drop off faster thatn the evening ones, because getting up at 4AM to head to the gym just isn't for everyone!! The weekends, however, are still packed with the jeans-wearing, strolling around the track kind of people, who might as well have "newbie" stamped across their foreheads...:laugh:
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this. It used to really annoy me new people coming in in January when I knew most of them wouldn't last longer than a few weeks but they get in your way and you can't get on the equipment becuase of them lol

But now I haven't been to the gym in years and if I ever get the energy or the motivation to start back again I will be a newbie and I will know exactly what the regulars will be thinking lol
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    wow your gym is still packed at this time of the month? mine went back to normal within two weeks!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Lol, whatever man. I always wondered when I joined a gym WHY I would get the looks I would get.. I used to think it was because I was fat...nope, its because my FAT *kitten* was taking up THEIR gym space.

Seriously.. get a grip people..we all start somewhere..AND.. it's only temporary right? So just keep thinking that.. in no time, your precious treadmill will be available!

So glad I work out at home now.
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    I see people say this but actually hard luck you don't have a monopoly on your gym.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    We were all newbies once! Sheez!

I actually am a personal trainer but I tend to try and workout incognito...and work out alot at home. Lately I've gotten alot of clients due to New years resolutions and because I am so busy..I have to work out at the gym now instead of home.

I love it when *kitten* holes who have been working out for a year or so, see me ,and think I'm a newbie. Today this one girl was sighing pretty loud when I asked if the empty spot next to hers was taken. You see I needed a place to warmup.

I could tell ,since I am a pt..that she was giving me the..."get out of my way noob" look. Stomping in front of me to get weights while I was doing some arm circles just for the fun of it..hee hee.

All the while she was giving me the evil eye for invading her "space".

so then , I threw in some one arm pushups , a few handstand pushups, and made sure to do a couple deadhang pullups and one muscleup(because I can only do one muscle up!) to remind the "veterans" not to judge the "new" people they see at the gym.

LMAO love your style!
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just curious: have any of you whiners gone up to the person and asked if you could work in/ see how many sets they have left? I get peeved when I see the squat rack and power cage being used, but I need to get my squats in, so I approach them and see how long it is before I can lift. I never have wait more than 10 minutes this way, and I'm happy to help anybody want to do full-ROM squats with good form.

And, in the case of cardio equipment, one can simply "lunge walk" behind everybody and scope their remaining time :P
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I wish I could go up to them and say "Please stay!!! Keep on coming!! I'm exactly where you are right now 2 1/2 years ago and I've lost over 60lbs and if I can do this, YOU can do this!!!!" "Keep at it and don't give up!! "

:flowerforyou: Newbies: Don't give up! Keep on going!

Maryaly YOU ROCK!!!!!!:drinker:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,048 Member
    Options
    Just curious: have any of you whiners gone up to the person and asked if you could work in/ see how many sets they have left? I get peeved when I see the squat rack and power cage being used, but I need to get my squats in, so I approach them and see how long it is before I can lift. I never have wait more than 10 minutes this way, and I'm happy to help anybody want to do full-ROM squats with good form.

And, in the case of cardio equipment, one can simply "lunge walk" behind everybody and scope their remaining time :P

Yes I do work in.. sometimes with as many as 8 guys.. sucks! Much better to get there when the gym opens and have it to myself for a bit...
  • chica6578
    chica6578 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i kinda get this - i hate the girls who go to the gym to say they went, and do their ten minute walk on the treadmill then their 30 min stand-around-and-gossip-but-don't-use-the-equipment-they-are-blocking session. luckily they never last

hahaha i used to do this, but its cause i never knew what else to do, i felt like i should be using something and i never had a routine. nor did i even know how to use the machines 90% of time time lol. i've really struggled alot with direction ive done a little of this and that. so now i've just stated working at home using youtube videos. lol so at least theres one less newbie at your guys gyms ;-) lol