NEED SNACK AND FOOD IDEAS... PLEASE HELP!

Options

Replies

• Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight lose journey I was eating a lot of the same foods that you are eating now. I have slowly changed my diet and now eat clean. I haven't had a TV dinner or 100 calorie snacks for about a year and a half and I feel much better physically. I snack on plain Greek yogurt with fresh fruit mixed in with honey or stevia as a sweetener. Other snacks smoothies with spinach and a frozen banana with Greek yogurt. Also apples, clementines, almonds, frozen banana dipped in honey and cinnamon flavored Greek yogurt and chopped almonds. Hard boiled eggs, hummus with carrots.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies. Can't praise them enough! I do a HUGE batch on the weekend and eat it throughout the week. Experiment. I do red onion, carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant, cherry tomatoes. Clean and cut them up into good size chunks or slices...drizzle with a bit of olive oil, season with whatever herbs you fancy and pop into a hot oven. Give them a shake or a stir every once in awhile so they roast up evenly. I absolutely love them. I put them on wraps, ryvita slices, even put some on top of a baked potato with a bit of hot sauce and a sprinkle of cheese. I get bored eating raw veggies...and roasting them gives them a fantastic flavor.
  • chimebird
    chimebird Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump. great ideas!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    string cheese, baby carrots, boiled eggs, nuts
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options

As for the microwave meals, they would also leave me starving so I would try to ditch those too. If you are not a confident cook then invest in some good cook books, watch youtube tutorials, ask for advice on here.

Agreed. Microwave meals are not going to keep you full.

If you eat them with a side salad, it will help fill you up. Also, if you're eating every 2-3 hours, healthy snacks between meals, it will hopefully keep you from feeling hungry.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Emerald mixed nuts-cinnamon kind. They're so good, so beware. Very easy to overeat them!:tongue:
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 100 calories:

-lean 15 protein powder is 100 calories and is filling. (you can mix with 6 oz of water and it still tastes good)
    -full fat cottage cheese 1/2 cup is 116 calories (1% has less calories)

oh and I just found this link

http://greatist.com/health/88-unexpected-snacks-under-100-calories/
  • atomicdancer
    atomicdancer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    a medium size banana, 15 almonds, an average size pear are all 100 calorie snacks. If you want a salty snack, try locating chips like Terra brand Sweet potato and Beet chips. They have relatively few calories and taste great.

chop up some carrots, celery, bell pepper, broccoli. I find these keep me full and are low in calories and sugar.

To help me keep from eating an entire bag of something, I look at the serving size and dish out only that much. If the bag says 15 chips is 180 calories, well, I get 15 chips.

Granola in small quantities can be a great snack also.

If you need something with more protein, try a hard boiled egg. the protein helps stick with you and prolong the hunger.

Peanut butter, Almond butter, other nut butters are also great, but you really have to watch your serving size as it is really easy to over eat them.

Cereals -- Chex, Cheerios, etc, are also great to snack on. :)

Happy eating!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I need to figure out some low calorie healthy snacks that will allow you to eat a good bit of bc some days I am hungry before my snack and then my snack is too small bc I am buying like the little packs of 100 calorie things at the grocery store. I know there are filling things I can make but I don't know what????
    My breakfast, lunches and dinners consist of Weight Watchers frozen meals and snacks are the 100 calorie bought at the store or like a clemetine. I know I can't eat microwave food for the rest of my life!

PLEASE HELP!
    What are your choices of snacks and the calorie sizes?

The pre-packaged foods you're eating probably contain a lot of additives and will leave you with hunger pangs in an hour. Try looking at whole fruits and vegetables and lean protein. If you have a really busy week, cook in bulk. For example season 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts with salt and pepper, oregano, garlic, red pepper and lemon and bake them on Sunday evening and once they're cooled package them separately. Here you have your protein for your lunches all week. Add some greek yougurt, and precut vegetables and/ or fruit and you have a protein packed low calorie (about 300 depending on the yogurt and size of the chicken) premade lunch.

Try snacking on high protein and high fiber snacks, KIND bars are really good, also dry raosted nuts or any fruits and veggies are good.

Once you get rid of the pre packaged stuff you will see you are probably saving a lot of money too!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks (30 cals) and Greek yogurt dill veggie dip by Marzetti (60 cal/ 2Tbs)
    1/4 cup almonds (~150 cals)
    1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt (~40 cal)... add PB2 or fruit for almost no extra calories :)
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon is low in cals, high in protein!! Pile lots of it onto a Crukit or something with lite cream cheese!
  • Honeybea86
    Options
    Any kind of fruit, apples fill me up so do bananas. Veggies with hummus is also one of my go to snacks
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I heard this on "Today Show" do the apple test. If you are truely hungry you will eat an apple. If the apple is what you crave, then you aren't hungry you just want to eat. I eat 2 apples a day during snacks. Before lunch and again before dinner. So far it's working for me.
  • thelittlepot
    Options
    snacks, Chop up some pitta bread, have it with cottage cheese, or cream cheese (low fat) with some roasted red peppers, lettuce, cucumber. (about 200 calories, 20 carbs)
    Rice cakes, (30 cals each, low carb) with cheese topping (again - low fat)
  • jkaminsky
    jkaminsky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What type of cheese? What you you think about cottage cheese and grapes.
  • k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Fruit or veggies!
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    -String cheese
    -Sugar free jello
    -Clementines
    -Baby carrots
    -Celery with peanut butter
    -100 cal pack
    -Cucumber slices
    -Bananas
    -Apples

Depending on the season and prices I usually have a fruit for my AM snack and a veggie for my afternoon snack. I'm really missing summer fruits right now, that makes snacking so much easier! Can't wait for watermelon season, yum.
  • jkaminsky
    jkaminsky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Guys, I purchased almond with salt from Costco. Does salt raise your sugar levels?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I used to eat those Weight Watchers meals for lunch too. They are rubbish; full of sodium and very little else.

I now eat a salmon fillet or chicken breast with a hard-boiled egg and some salad - about 350 cals, the average WW meal, and it keeps me full for hours. You need more protein and fats to keep you full.

Snack ideas:

Fruit
    Carrot and celery sticks with humous
    Roasted edamame beans or chickpeas
    Nuts
  • Leigh012976
    Options
    Snacks; I try to keep pudding or yogurt cups in the office fridge. String cheese or trail mix are good too

Lunch: I have had problems also with lunch. Going out to lunch was a big thing with me, but I have started to only go out twice a week now. When I bring stuff from home, it has been homemade soups (chicken noodle, potato) and some crackers. Or a peanut butter sandwich and a cheese stick. Another good trick to curb my appetite is right before it's lunch time, I drink about 16 ounces of water. It is really filling and I don't eat as much.