Under calories for two weeks and up 1.6 Pounds!

Options
Ok I'm not super concerned yet but I thought I would make use of the massage board for some help. I have been under my calorie limit every day for the last two weeks and I'm up 1.6 pounds.

I would like to think...

This is because I am shocking my body with heavier weights than I've done in over a year, and getting in some intense cardio with my road bike and handball.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I think you're under eating by 25%. Your target looks good but you're going under target. You need to eat enough so that your body can heal and you can recover - - you don't just 'burn fat' by eating too little.

I've been citing this a lot recently as an example and good description from a biologist/researcher turned personal trainer:
    http://nbsfit.com/nutrition/weight-loss-isnt-always-about-eating-less-and-exercising-more/

As far as what you *should* be doing? TDEE - 20%. Check this out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You're putting in ALL the effort, you should be seeing some reward. So tweak your exercise and intake targets to make things a little easier on yourself, and you'll ALSO see better results! Cheers.
  • BrianBarrett79
    BrianBarrett79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That is interesting man. Did you use a site to set your BRM and then use MFP to calculate the TDEE each day?
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Initially I stumbled my way through it. I started below my BMR but was cold, tired, and starving all the time. I decided I had to up the calories. I was still eating a fairly low level of calories but was at least surviving.
    As a runner, I would eat food soon after sessions in order to replenish muscle glycogen stores - - but that had the side benefit of 'eating back exercise calories'.

I switched over to MFP in April because the food database was better and the interface was easier than what I was using before. It was here in the forums that I fine tuned what I had sort of stumbled into with their terminology and math.

I've currently calculated my BMR [1] and TDEE [2] at those sites for rough numbers. I don't include my exercise in the TDEE modifier - - my baseline is just lifestyle, so that when I log my exercise, the additional calories MFP thinks I should get aren't actually double-counted with the TDEE if that makes sense.

[1] http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    [2] http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • BrianBarrett79
    Options
    Holy Crap man that fitness frog site says my TDEE is 3456 and I set it to Desk Job! Can that be right??? That would mean I should eat like 2765 Calories before adding my workout calories????
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    That sounds pretty significant. Are you 6'0 and 350 pounds? (Sure you selected pounds and not kilograms?)
  • BrianBarrett79
    Options
    Sorry I'm an idiot. It's like 2400 so -20% is 1956.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Now that sounds reasonable. Try that for a month or so before coming to any conclusions. As you go along your path, toy with your meal size, frequency, and timing to find what gives you the best day-long satiety. Get plenty of protein and just try to stay honest with your logging (FOOD SCALE) and consistent!
  • LoveMyLiv
    LoveMyLiv Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It could also be muscle gain if you are strength training which is a good thing. i would assume you will have a big loss in the next two weeks to come :)
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    1. Are you measuring portions? If you don't lie to MFP, it won't lie to you.
    2. You are getting in too few calories and your body has gone into starvation mode, meaning it's going to hold on to everything its got.
    3. When I plateau, I measure....you just might be surprised to find that when you are not losing pounds you are losing inches.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    It could also be muscle gain if you are strength training which is a good thing. i would assume you will have a big loss in the next two weeks to come :)

If this guy is gaining muscle after days like yesterday, then everything I know about algebra, biology, and fitness is wrong*.

Total In: 1,540 Daily Goal: 3,089 Total Remaining: 1,549

*which is possible but unlikely.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Now that sounds reasonable. Try that for a month or so before coming to any conclusions. As you go along your path, toy with your meal size, frequency, and timing to find what gives you the best day-long satiety. Get plenty of protein and just try to stay honest with your logging (FOOD SCALE) and consistent!

Good advice from this guy :)

I eat about as much as you do (original poster), and I'm a 5'6" woman. Get your calories in, you'll be way better off in the long run! And don't stress too much over a couple of weeks, intensifying your routine can upset your weight loss, short-term. Your body tends to retain some water when it's repairing your muscles, so I think there is some legitimacy to "shocking" your body when you make drastic changes to your workouts. Good luck!
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sensible advice from this one!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Holy Crap man that fitness frog site says my TDEE is 3456 and I set it to Desk Job! Can that be right??? That would mean I should eat like 2765 Calories before adding my workout calories????

It's all in how much you weigh and workout, a desk job just makes it harder to hit those numbers. I am 195 lbs, 30 years old, 5'11, I have a desk job and my TDEE is 3000 as I workout for an hour 6 days a week. I will note, that I lost more weight and fat at 2500-2700 calories than I ever did at 1800 calories, so just make sure you follow the method and eat properly, emanyalpsid is right on with his recommendations. So eat at 1900-2100 calories, I would suggest higher protein and fat and you should be good.
  • BrianBarrett79
    Options
    I am measuring my foods. And I'm under everyday (way under) most days. And I'm hitting the gym pretty hard. To the point where my body aches just move around depending on what I worked out last.

I'm going to try increasing the calories to that 1956 number with good food. I'm guessing making up the difference in beer is a bad idea? =)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am measuring my foods. And I'm under everyday (way under) most days. And I'm hitting the gym pretty hard. To the point where my body aches just move around depending on what I worked out last.

I'm going to try increasing the calories to that 1956 number with good food. I'm guessing making up the difference in beer is a bad idea? =)

Occasionally, it's ok, but if you want to drink, you are better off with wine or hard spirits.. lower calories. Here is a good article on drinking while losing fat.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Also, did you include exercise in your TDEE?
  • shrinkydink_mg
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Started logging food 4 weeks ago, maintaining between 1200 and 1300 calories a day. I've been watching portions, and logging everything.
    Started working out at the gym 3 weeks ago. Monday-Saturday, doing 20-25 mins on the elliptical running the intervals program. Really great, sweat producing workout for me! I also strength train for a half hour alternating arms/legs on different days.

I haven't lost a single pound since weigh in. I'm smart enough to know that something isn't right. My body will only hold onto what it needs, and it apparently needs all 1300 calories!

So, I figured that I needed to up my calories. So, here I am reading through the forums and I happen upon this jewel of a thread.
    Here's my stats: 34 year old female, weighing 220 lbs, 5 foot 6.
    I calculated my BMR at 1762
    My TDEE (not including exercise) is 2108.

If I do TDEE -20%, that would be 1686. That's all well and good, but that's less than my BMR.

I'm afraid that eating less than my BMR wouldn't be any better than what I'm doing now.

So confused.....should I eat my BMR or TDEE -20%
  • BrianBarrett79
    Options
    My guess is that either way you are uping you calories by 350 to 400 a day so either would be better than you are now? Maybe try the 1686 number for a while and see what happens?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Started logging food 4 weeks ago, maintaining between 1200 and 1300 calories a day. I've been watching portions, and logging everything.
    Started working out at the gym 3 weeks ago. Monday-Saturday, doing 20-25 mins on the elliptical running the intervals program. Really great, sweat producing workout for me! I also strength train for a half hour alternating arms/legs on different days.

I haven't lost a single pound since weigh in. I'm smart enough to know that something isn't right. My body will only hold onto what it needs, and it apparently needs all 1300 calories!

So, I figured that I needed to up my calories. So, here I am reading through the forums and I happen upon this jewel of a thread.
    Here's my stats: 34 year old female, weighing 220 lbs, 5 foot 6.
    I calculated my BMR at 1762
    My TDEE (not including exercise) is 2108.

If I do TDEE -20%, that would be 1686. That's all well and good, but that's less than my BMR.

I'm afraid that eating less than my BMR wouldn't be any better than what I'm doing now.

So confused.....should I eat my BMR or TDEE -20%

You can either eat 1900 calories daily and Not worry about exercise calories or eat 1700 calories and 2000 on exercise days.
  • sukielovesveggies
    sukielovesveggies Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Add in your exercise to the TDEE, then reduce by 20%, and see what it looks like. You should eat back most or all of your exercise cals. (just started doing this myself, experts chime in if Im wrong here...)
  • Shawneb66
    Shawneb66 Posts: 124
    Options
    My only add is that you said you are measuring your food...a scale is a lot more accurate! I weigh everything I put in my mouth and it made a huge difference!! Example...2 tbls of peanut butter, from a measuring spoon, is A LOT more the 28g on a scale. It may be worth a try!! Best of Luck on your journey!! :glasses: