Herbalife Shakes

Options
Hi!

I'm starting my 2nd week of the herbalife program and although I've only lost 2 lbs, I'm loosing a lot of inches (which I'm so excited about). My one issue with the program are the shakes. I need to make my shakes the night before so I can bring them to work with me and I'm having trouble finding recipes that are still thick and appetizing after sitting the in fridge over night. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Marissa

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Yes. Eat food. Shakes end up being a temporary fix (all diets are that's why the average dieter goes on 7 of them in their lifetime) unless you plan to use them the rest of your life. Yeah, yeah, you hear about the "they teach you how to eat and maintain line" all the time, but if that were true, then WHY DO YOU NEED THE SHAKE?

Finish off what you have and learn NOW how to eat a calorie deficit with real food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • missa482
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback, Ninerbuff. However, I am very happy with being on the Herbalife plan and am looking for recipes for their shakes,
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Yes. Eat food. Shakes end up being a temporary fix (all diets are that's why the average dieter goes on 7 of them in their lifetime) unless you plan to use them the rest of your life. Yeah, yeah, you hear about the "they teach you how to eat and maintain line" all the time, but if that were true, then WHY DO YOU NEED THE SHAKE?

Finish off what you have and learn NOW how to eat a calorie deficit with real food.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Silly ninerbuff, offering practical and healthy solutions. I got this blog post this morning that is great, http://www.niashanks.com/2013/01/politically-incorrect-fat-loss/
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

*applauds* THIS.

My sister was on Herbalife. She lost 100 lbs. Then she went off it, thinking she could maintain on her own. She gained OVER 120 lbs., so more than she had originally weighed when she started. Now she yo-yo's around with Weight Watchers. Seriously, stop with the "quick" fixes. Just eat food, enjoy your food, exercise, and enjoy the burn. It really is that simple, I promise.
  • SoulReckoning
    SoulReckoning Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife shakes for breakfast when I wouldn't otherwise even eat breakfast! Stop judging people for using products they like.

OP, I will friend you, then message you a large list of recipes or get them posted here soon. A good friend of mine is a distributor, a he works at a nutrition store/shake shop where they mix and sell shakes for people who want to stop in and grap a quick healthy meal and he has a ton of different shake recipes, some of which would probably hold up overnight.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback, Ninerbuff. However, I am very happy with being on the Herbalife plan and am looking for recipes for their shakes,
    You think you're happy on them. You may lose a little weight here and there, but really all you're doing is a calorie deficit, which can be done for FREE. If you're not interested in saving your hard earned money, then hopefully someone will chime in with a recipe.
    Good luck.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I like shakes for the following reasons:
    1) They make it easier for me to hit my protein target for the day
    2) I can make a large quantity very quickly, and they require much less thought than preparing a whole food meal
    3) They're easy to transport with me on the morning train and the ingredients keep well in my desk at work
    4) They're eay to consume on the train

Please note, NONE of the reasons I have listed stated in any way shape or form that shakes help me lose weight (they don't). I also didn't claim that shakes were somehow superior to whole food nutritionally (they aren't). If you want to drink shakes for reasons like the ones I listed, have at it. But recognize that you'll have to keep it up indefinitely if you want to maintain the results you're seeing.

I just use protein in my shakes, rather than a special 'weight-loss' powder or whatever. But lets say you're using a meal replacement shake.

Option 1
    Step 1: Find a chocolate flavor that's as palatable as possible.
    Step 2: Add Banana
    Step 3: Add Peanut Butter (I use PB2)
    Step 4: Add ice and milk or water
    Step 5: Play with the ratios until the shake tastes like a reeses peanut butter cup

Option 2
    Step 1: Find a vanilla flavor that's as palatable as possible
    Step 2: Add fruit that you enjoy eating
    Step 3: Add ice and milk or OJ or water
    Step 3.5 optional: Add yogurt
    Step 4: Play with the fruit combinations until it's to your liking
  • SoulReckoning
    SoulReckoning Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If people can use protein powders to increase their protein instead of adding more protein naturally through foods then why can't someone use a meal replacement shake that is easy and convenient to create a calorie deficit. It's also not just about calories, it's about keeping micronutrients in check too. And, it's not like she's replacing every meal with a shake, I would bet she's not. Probably just one or two a day. There's also other elements to the program in regards to vitamins and healthy eating. There is a maintenance plan and just because someone didn't do well on it doesn't mean that we can't! I doubt the poster who said her sister gained all her weight back plus some after quiting, kept to a healthy diet. You don't gain 100+ just because you quit eating a certain product, you gain that the same way you got there the first time.

ninerbuff: I understand you were trying to help, but you were critizing more than helping. Sorry I called you a name, it's just so frustrating to get involved in something only to be smacked down. I'm sure as a certified personal trainer you understand the impact of a negative attitude and that bullying people into YOUR way of thinking only hurts more!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If people can use protein powders to increase their protein instead of adding more protein naturally through foods then why can't someone use a meal replacement shake that is easy and convenient to create a calorie deficit. It's also not just about calories, it's about keeping micronutrients in check too. And, it's not like she's replacing every meal with a shake, I would bet she's not. Probably just one or two a day. There's also other elements to the program in regards to vitamins and healthy eating. There is a maintenance plan and just because someone didn't do well on it doesn't mean that we can't! I doubt the poster who said her sister gained all her weight back plus some after quiting, kept to a healthy diet. You don't gain 100+ just because you quit eating a certain product, you gain that the same way you got there the first time.
    She's using them to lose weight. That's not hard to see. And I've already stated that programs like these PROMISE you there's a maintenance plan, without their product, but my point is and will be, you don't need a company to teach you that. You can learn that for FREE.
    ninerbuff: I understand you were trying to help, but you were critizing more than helping. Sorry I called you a name, it's just so frustrating to get involved in something only to be smacked down. I'm sure as a certified personal trainer you understand the impact of a negative attitude and that bullying people into YOUR way of thinking only hurts more!
    You took it as a negative attitude based on your perception. I didn't "bully" her in any way, I gave concise advice on how to learn NOW how to do it correctly. Sorry you see it that way.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

I don't think a lot of people realize that they'd have to stick with it long term. Although maintenance protocols are in place and can work, the marketing scheme is to lose weight quickly (I know because my cousin used to sell herbalife, and made good money doing it too). There's nothing inherently wrong with MRPs, lots of people use them (and some to great success). Successful use, however, requires an accurate perspective on what the product will and won't do.

You can't take an MRP and forget about nutrition in your other meals, to that regard I think that looking at MRPs as basically a protein shake plue a multi-vitamin is your best bet. It's not a magic powder. Also, even if you're under your calories it's still important to meet your macros

It is important to vet the quality of the product should you decide to use it, some MRPs are loaded with worthless junk that's a waste of calories (and some are surprisingly high in calories).

Recognize that there are alternatives that are generally cheaper. If you prefer to go the route of MRPs because of conveinence or whatever, that's fine, but if the cost concerns you it might be a good idea to rethink your options.

A lot of these sorts of things aren't covered by proponents of stuff like Herbalife. I think going into it with a healthy dose of criticism is a good thing. Then if you still decide you want to, you know it's for the right reasons.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You think you're happy on them. You may lose a little weight here and there, but really all you're doing is a calorie deficit, ....

I use shakes in order to keep my protein high enough - not to create a calorie deficit. Not Herbalife shakes, but shakes none-the-less. I find it difficult to eat as much as it takes to achieve minimum protein. Shakes are a delicious treat and a healthy boost. What works for you doesn't work for me. Something else that doesn't work for me is people berating me and trying to convince me that I am stupid, ignorant, and/or inadequate while telling me that they are only doing it for my own good.

If you are as good and qualified as you say you are, surely you can find a way to get a message across without abusive tactics. if you can't then you are not as good and qualified as you say you are. The only difference between physical abuse and mental/emotional abuse is the choice of weapons. Words can be very damaging weapons.
  • Angelchristl
    Options
    Hi marisa,

I too have done Herbal life...loved it! It gave me energy and vitamins that I needed. Also lost weight! I am looking to start back on the shakes soon...once my other supplements done.
    Cheers
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You think you're happy on them. You may lose a little weight here and there, but really all you're doing is a calorie deficit, ....

I use shakes in order to keep my protein high enough - not to create a calorie deficit. Not Herbalife shakes, but shakes none-the-less. I find it difficult to eat as much as it takes to achieve minimum protein. Shakes are a delicious treat and a healthy boost. What works for you doesn't work for me. Something else that doesn't work for me is people berating me and trying to convince me that I am stupid, ignorant, and/or inadequate while telling me that they are only doing it for my own good.

If you are as good and qualified as you say you are, surely you can find a way to get a message across without abusive tactics. if you can't then you are not as good and qualified as you say you are. The only difference between physical abuse and mental/emotional abuse is the choice of weapons. Words can be very damaging weapons.
    In other words you use shakes as a "supplement" not a diet. I drink shakes too...............as a supplement to what I eat. They are accounted for in calorie intake.
    And never did I berate her. Like the other poster, your PERCEPTION is that.
    I'm more than sure that people that have tried "diets" like this have dieted before only to fall back into the same situation they are in now. And substituting another diet, is just repeating the process all over again.
    Don't be so sensitive. Constructive advice is just that, constructive.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kuntrygal
    kuntrygal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been on the Herbalife shakes, bars and supplements for 2 months now and have lost over 20 pounds. I am under supervision of my doctor and am having blood work done regularly. All of my vitamin levels are- to quote my Dr.- "wonderful".
    Don't listen to the haters, Listen to your body.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have been on the Herbalife shakes, bars and supplements for 2 months now and have lost over 20 pounds. I am under supervision of my doctor and am having blood work done regularly. All of my vitamin levels are- to quote my Dr.- "wonderful".
    Don't listen to the haters, Listen to your body.
    Of course you doctor is happy with your progress. He makes money off it and it increases his income. Ask your doctor if he can just recommend a way to lose weight without it and see what the response is.
    If a doctor tells you it's not likely you can do it without the help of Herbalife, then they may not have your best interest at hand.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kuntrygal
    kuntrygal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    He makes money off of it? He doesn't sell the Herbalife. The lab makes the money off of the bloodwork- he gets an office visit. Get over yourself.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    He makes money off of it? He doesn't sell the Herbalife. The lab makes the money off of the bloodwork- he gets an office visit. Get over yourself.
    My bad then. Your "doctor supervised" statement seem to imply it. But then again, ask your doctor if you can do the same without Herbalife. I'm more than sure that he/she would say yes.

IDEA Fitness member
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I generally don't agree with product lines like Herbalife. The better and less expensive way to lose weight is to make sure you're eating right, and maintaining a calorie deficit with exercise. Proper nutrition combined with exercise and gimmick free = weight loss, as long as you're maintaining a calorie deficit.

This is a helpful post for determining how many calories you should eat a day: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Please keep the following in mind if you intend to participate in the community.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking Topics

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

With respect,

Tom
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • akkimberly
    akkimberly Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love Herbalife! I use the Dutch chocolate mix, with milk, bananas & peanut butter. Yum!! Since I hate to cook or to even prepare meals the Herbalife shakes are perfect for me. I have lost weight & feel great!