Low carb number

Options
Hi i had reduced my carbs to 20g. but not increasing it. this week its been between 25-30g.
What do you consider is a normal dietting number?
50g?
not sure if i have lost weight but i need to make this a lifetime change and on 20g i can not live forever

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you want to make a lifestyle change then dont do low carb if you cant sustain it...

i eat 200g of carbs, so i cant really help! plus i like crabs too much to only eat 20g a day!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    That's really low!

Some people enjoy eating almost no carbs, but that doesn't work for me. Personally, I've had all my success having my setup be 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. I found that even 40% carbs is less than I used to eat. But really, those are just guidelines, the real important number is how many calories you're consuming overall. Some people here have had success paying no attention whatsoever to how much carbs/protein/fat they're consuming, and just watching the overall calorie count. I've found that I'm somewhere in the middle :)

Good luck!
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    if you want to make a lifestyle change then dont do low carb if you cant sustain it...

i eat 200g of carbs, so i cant really help! plus i like crabs too much to only eat 20g a day!

Crabs are actually low carb, there are 0.05 grams in one serving!

Sorry Tavistock, I just couldn't resist on that one!! :wink:
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Like other people are saying, there is nothing with lowering your carb intake if:

- you can live without pasta, bread, potatoes, and other notoriously high carb foods
    -you compensate and get your carbs elsewhere, like in dairy, nuts, etc
    -you compensate with ensuring you have enough protein, this is critical for keeping your lean body mass when you are losing fat.

I'm at 25% carbs, 40% protein, 35 % fat, and this has been working wonderfully for me so far. Keep in mind, I really eat ZERO pasta, bread, sweets, anything sweet for that matter, potatoes, and very little fruit. Just the occasional portion of melon and so on. This forces me to really focus on my protein intake.

But I have to say, this set up has really been moving stubborn fat my body has been holding onto.

After some time though, I will gradually increase the carbs and cut the fat, but this only around 5%-wise to let my body adjust. I'm only 10-15 lbs away from my goal, so it's not about weight but body recomp.

Heavy lifters, for example, tend to poo-poo low carb because they really need a higher carb intake for their performance. If you are doing a lot of cardio, 25% is the bare minimum I'd say.

EDIT: I just saw your profile and it is exactly that stubborn pregnancy weight that I am trying to get rid of as well!
  • mitatailor
    mitatailor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thank you..i know that high carb but low cal diet doesnt work for me. i need to lower carbs to be able to loose weight. maybe when i get to mantance it will be differnet.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    thank you..i know that high carb but low cal diet doesnt work for me. i need to lower carbs to be able to loose weight. maybe when i get to mantance it will be differnet.

Are you following a specific plan? I stick to Atkins, and I'm at 20 net carbs a day--total carbs will vary between 40-60, depending on the food. Investigate different low carb plans to see what works for you, because these will be life-style changing. You'll want to live with this forever. Atkins, South Beach, Paleo-Primal are just some off the top of my head. Read up!
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    That's really low!

Some people enjoy eating almost no carbs, but that doesn't work for me. Personally, I've had all my success having my setup be 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. I found that even 40% carbs is less than I used to eat. But really, those are just guidelines, the real important number is how many calories you're consuming overall. Some people here have had success paying no attention whatsoever to how much carbs/protein/fat they're consuming, and just watching the overall calorie count. I've found that I'm somewhere in the middle :)

Good luck!

Ditto* actually I've only just started watching carbs n sugar...my weight loss was just from keeping cals under and moderate workouts..