Zumba

Options
I will be the first to say that I am the most rythmically challenged person in the world, I cannot dance to save my life and yet I find myself joining a Zumba class (mostly because I want to lose weight and this offers great support as there are 4 of my friends going with me).

So ladies and gentlemen give me your opinions and advice. What do you guys think of these classes?

Oh by the way I am new and my name is Brandi.

Replies

• LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It's SO MUCH FUN! We have a few people who hang out at the back of our class and they are rythmically challenged, so they just go their own thing for a lot of the class.

They're moving and getting motivated by the teacher/music/class so I say go for it, focus on yourself and have FUN.

It's the best workout ever!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Brandi~

You will be addicted!!! no joke, I'm in the same rhythm boat as you are and I went once and joinced that day. I've been doing it for about 3 months now, on average 1-4 times a week. I've lost 10+ pounds and 15+ inches! It is awesome, so fun and doesn't even feel like your exercising!! Enjoy it! Ariba!!!

Had to add, I'm about 5 feet and 145 pounds now, and burn about 600 calories per 1 hours class. I have the polar, it's a good investment for classes like this since it really depends on your weight, height and health to get the closest amount of cals burned. I paid about $120 for the polar F6 and so happy I did, I use it for every exercise and I think it's helped tremendously with my weight loss! Good luck!
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! I've been going for about 6-7 months. I normally burn 700+ cals in that one little hour, but I'm also 230 pounds. I used to burn 1000+ when I was around 260. I like how there are different levels of difficulty for every move. I have bad knees so I modify the high impact moves...but as long as you keep moving and keep pushing yourself, thats all that really matters. :smile:
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm sure you will love and appreciate the help it will be in your fitness journey.

About Zumba, I love it. It's ok if you are rythmically challenged...this will be a way to learn.
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Welcome Brandy! I have never done the Zumba, so I am interested in what they say also!
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Welcome Brandy! I have never done the Zumba, so I am interested in what they say also!
  • smileyface45
    smileyface45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    WHAT IS ZUMBA?
  • ZekeandKyliesMom
    ZekeandKyliesMom Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am really excited about it but to confess I am really excited about leaving the kids with the men for an hour a week and spending some time with the girls! There are 3 girls from my church 2 that are my age and one that is in her 40's (she is actually one of the other girls mom) and then her daughter in law and 3 of us are all about the same size in height and pant size. They are not much better than me when it comes to rythm and dancing so it is kind of a running joke with the girls "what happens at Zumba stays at Zumba"
  • ZekeandKyliesMom
    Options
    Oh and by the way how do you keep track of how many callories you burn during a class?
  • freehold1979
    Options
    This so funny because I was about to start a Zumba post. I am a natural born dancer but usually get bored by hip hop tapes because I start making up my own moves. I havent done a class but I did download 2 workouts to my computer that Im putting on a dvd right now. Hope I get as good results as everyone else.
    If anyone wants a copy, Im more than happy to send one out.
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi,

Welcome...I am waiting for my DVD to arrive to shake what my mama gave me...lol...looking forward to having fun and losing weight.

B
  • melmel0181
    melmel0181 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I took a few zumba classes about a year ago and loved them! I sometimes could not follow the step but just kept going and was fine. Bring water and a towel though. It is super fun and doesnt feel like exercise at all. You burn so many calories. I just found a zumba class by my home and keep saying I am going to join. You guys have motivated me to just do it!!!! Let us know how you like it.

-Melissa :)
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    Brandy

Longmom and I go together. We LOVE it. I'd go more then just once a week if I could afford and and find babysitting. I've even downloaded a bunch of the songs and do "ghetto zumba" at home. We do have some people who are not that co-ordinated and they do fine. I think a big part of it is the instructor. Our is Amazing, she makes it fun and shes challanging without loosing those who haven't done the dances before. Put it this way, with two little ones my hubby and I each get one night a week (not including weekends) that is "our night" where the other has to be avaliable to watch the kids. I give up my one night to go to ZUMBA :love:
  • ZekeandKyliesMom
    Options
    So I went last night withsome friends and it was amazing! I am so not a dance person but I loved it and will definatly be going back next week!
  • mistyvw
    mistyvw Posts: 3
    Options
    Zumba is the newest hottest thing in excersize. 90% of the music you hear is latin based, and the rest is an assortment of other world music and hiphop. You will do everything from salsa, to meringue, reggaetone to calypso, and you will have a blast with different routines throughout the hour.
    This is how Zumba works. After your warm up you increase your heart rate only to bring it back down, and so the pattern goes heart rate up, heart rate down. The next time you get on an elyptical hit the fat burn button, and it will do the same thing. If your Zumba instructor is not rotating the rhythms between highs and lows in order to create this pattern then she isn't doing it right. This is the key to the high calorie burning results of Zumba. The other way you know that you have a good instructor is when the class is full and people are having fun. If you aren't having fun then you need to search out other instructors.
    As an instructor my largest class is 70 people. They are all having fun while losing weight, and it is the most rewarding thing ever. I have two rules for my class, 1) have fun, and 2) if you don't know the steps, just shake your butt. I have one thing I tell every new student: if you don't get the steps the first time, come back at least one more time, you will be amazed at how much better you are and how much you remember. Don't be intimidated if you are standing next to somebody who has been taking the class for a long time.
    Lastly the calories you burn vary, I have different people show me there heart rate monitors after class, and I've seen anywhere from 500 to 1000 calories burned in one class. So get out there and Zumba, do it as much as you can and watch the weight fall off. If anybody has more questions about what Zumba is, let me know.