Online Tax Filing??

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
If you file your own taxes online, what website/service do you use and why??

Turbotax
Taxhawk....

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Previously, I used H&R Block's Free File... but this year I have deductions so that will be a no-go. I'll probably go into the office and let someone do it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    TaxAct
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I use Taxslayer.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Turbotax has completely screwed things up for me this year. I have used them for the last 8 years at least, so all of my history is there. But after 3+ hours with their support people, it STILL isn't right. I can now file for free with TurboTax for my troubles, but it's... still not right!! How many more hours do I put in with their Customer Service *LOL*
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    TaxAct

Yup, for the last 4 years. And I have itemized deductions and still do it online.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I pick my tax site though Free File on the IRS website- it is not the same as selecting the "free" federal filing directly from the tax site. Picking Free File through the IRS site allows you to file state for free too, provided you are within the income and age limits. In the past I have used TaxSlayer, TurboTax, and most recently H&R Block because I was over the limit for TurboTax free file.
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am finishing up my accounting degree and our Advance Tax class works on taxes for people. We don't e-file but we put everything into TaxAct and then print it out for them. But personally my family and I have used TurboTax in the past for standard and itemized deductions and it had worked well.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    TurboTax, and I itemize. Used to use H&R, but I like TT better.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I used to use Turbotax but now that I'm a CPA, it's only pencil and paper! I feel wrong using Turbotax now! :)
  • 4x4play
    4x4play Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    FreeTaxUSA... used it for years now!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I used to use Turbotax but now that I'm a CPA, it's only pencil and paper! I feel wrong using Turbotax now! :)

I have my degree in accounting, but am not a CPA. I'm STILL too lazy to do it pencil & paper, but every year I go online I feel guilty!!! *LOL*
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Turbotax has completely screwed things up for me this year. I have used them for the last 8 years at least, so all of my history is there. But after 3+ hours with their support people, it STILL isn't right. I can now file for free with TurboTax for my troubles, but it's... still not right!! How many more hours do I put in with their Customer Service *LOL*

We had this same experience with TurboTax about 5 years ago...the software (that we paid for) was missing an executable file. So something that usually took my husband about an hour, took him ALL day to do and it still wasn't right. Since then we go to an accountant. He gets it done in 20 minutes, submits it electronically, and we get our refunds within 1-2 weeks!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Turbo Tax. My father in law buys the software every year, which comes with five licenses, so he sends it to us and we file for free. My taxes are really simple, but my partner has a business and a rental property, so his can get pretty complicated.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    The problem is that I once had a business... I no longer do. But TurboTax can't seem to get a grip on the fact that I no longer need the Schedule C on the state filing. They literally don't know HOW to remove it. My taxes are now simple, itemized, but simple. It should not require hours on the phone w/ these people.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The problem is that I once had a business... I no longer do. But TurboTax can't seem to get a grip on the fact that I no longer need the Schedule C on the state filing. They literally don't know HOW to remove it. My taxes are now simple, itemized, but simple. It should not require hours on the phone w/ these people.

We once had a business too. Taxact had no problem dealing when we no longer had that business.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options

I have my degree in accounting, but am not a CPA. I'm STILL too lazy to do it pencil & paper, but every year I go online I feel guilty!!! *LOL*
    Me too! Especially now that I itemize, rent a room in my condo, AND have a side job where I get a 1099-Misc. Thing are WAY too complicated and tax law had changed so much since I took it in *mumble*mumble*. I use taxslayer. I'm just waiting for the IRS to update THEIR system so I can file.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've used TurboTax
  • odusgolp
    Options
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

It would be better if it mentioned that you can go to irs.gov and select free file and file through the same companies FOR FREE (within income limits, of course)
  • grgnelson
    grgnelson Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Taxact for the last 6 years and never a problem