What's wrong with my scale?!!!!!

Options
Okay so maybe someone can help me figure out why my scale keeps showing different numbers? I weighed myself this morning and wasn't happy with the number so I got on there again a few seconds later....and it was a different number. I did this like 5 times and even moved my scale...every singe time showed a different number! ahhhh so frustrating! How am I suppose to know what my correct weight is???

Has this ever happened to anyone else??

Replies

• flibertyjibet
    flibertyjibet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ive noticed this problem with a lot of electric scales. The only scales that work consistantly are the medical weight scales (like at the doctors office). Even the scale at my gym will show different numbers even if I weigh seconds apart.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My question is why would you weigh again? You shouldn't live or die by the number on the scale. I may not like what it shows but that is just what it is.

To answer your question though it maybe where you are standing on the scale. There is no way you are going to stand on the scale in the EXACT same place every time. Unless you have some line drawn on it to line your toes up to or something.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The battery could be dying? Or your scale is broken?

If the weights are all within a pound or two of each other, it's probably within the normal error range of digital scales. I'll weigh myself, and basically no matter what, if I weigh myself 5 min later it tells me I've gained half a pound. I just consider it punishment for trying to weigh myself too often :P
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yeah, change the battery. I never trust the first number, and besides, the way you stand and distribute your weight can affect the number. I weigh at least twice, and if I get two different numbers the first two times, I weigh again. If I see a duplicate number, I assume that that one is the correct weight.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I find on my scales, if I lean forward or back, the number can change quite dramatically. So now I step on the scale, try and balance my weight evenly on my feet and look forward. I only look down once the number is set. This seems to give the most consistent reading.
  • my_so_called_life
    Options
    My question is why would you weigh again? You shouldn't live or die by the number on the scale. I may not like what it shows but that is just what it is.

To answer your question though it maybe where you are standing on the scale. There is no way you are going to stand on the scale in the EXACT same place every time. Unless you have some line drawn on it to line your toes up to or something.

I weigh myself once a week and my scale is set up to tell me body fat %, Muscle %, and water weight. So the first time I step on the scale it gives me my weight in lbs. The second time I step on the scale it gives me my weight plus body, muscle and water weight. So that's when I noticed the numbers were not the same. Once I notice they were different, I started trying it multiple times to see if i could get the same number twice, but i never did.
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I believe this is a typical electronic scale issue. Happens to me all the time, even when our scale was brand new. It fluctuates +/- 1 lb all the time. And yes, there are days (like this morning) that I refused to belive the first numbers the scale gave me.

As one member stated, I will not live or die by that number. And in the long run, that +/- 1 pound is really lost or really gained. However, if I'm recording my weekly process, I have been known to weigh myself 2-3 times while doing my morning routines and recording the average/middle. :happy:

This morning, I expected to weigh 231, but weighed three times at 222.8 to 233.6. I recorded 233, knowing in my head that those 2 pounds will be gone with 1-2 others when I weigh myself next week. At least that's what I'm convincing myself right now.
  • my_so_called_life
    Options
    I believe this is a typical electronic scale issue. Happens to me all the time, even when our scale was brand new. It fluctuates +/- 1 lb all the time. And yes, there are days (like this morning) that I refused to belive the first numbers the scale gave me.

As one member stated, I will not live or die by that number. And in the long run, that +/- 1 pound is really lost or really gained. However, if I'm recording my weekly process, I have been known to weigh myself 2-3 times while doing my morning routines and recording the average/middle. :happy:

This morning, I expected to weigh 231, but weighed three times at 222.8 to 233.6. I recorded 233, knowing in my head that those 2 pounds will be gone with 1-2 others when I weigh myself next week. At least that's what I'm convincing myself right now.

Sounds like a good idea :) Thanks!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale and the only time the numbers will jump is because the battery needs to be changed. If your battery is fine then I'd buy a new scale.