Guitarists?

Options
threeonethree
threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
Anyone else here play guitar? Electric, acoustic, bass? What is your axe/amp of choice? Favorite songs to play? Dream guitar?

Currently I have a PRS SE and Blackstar HT Soloist 60 as my main setup. The PRS SE is incredible for the price. I upgraded it with locking tuners and put in US made PRS pickups. It sounds and feels like a guitar that costs 3x what I paid.

My dream guitar is a PRS Custom 24. :sick:

I have a couple others including a Fender acoustic. Hoping to get a Taylor acoustic one day, they are so nice! That feeling of playing soft acoustic songs on a rainy day makes me never regret starting to play all of those years ago!

Replies

• KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm a mandolin player tried and true (6+ years), but I also play rhythm guitar when I'm singing melody.
    I have an Epiphone Hummingbird, that is my darling and I love it more than anything. And I also play banjo (don't hate), which is a good ole' Deering Goodtime! :drinker:
  • threeonethree
    Options
    I'm a mandolin player tried and true (6+ years), but I also play rhythm guitar when I'm singing melody.
    I have an Epiphone Hummingbird, that is my darling and I love it more than anything. And I also play banjo (don't hate), which is a good ole' Deering Goodtime! :drinker:
    awesome!! i've always wanted to get a cheap little mandolin to mess around on, they look fun and sound unique!
  • reggiepe
    reggiepe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I play guitar. Been obsessed with learning to play like Stevie Ray Vaughan for the last 6 months. It's an uphill battle as I had never really appreciated his music till about a year ago. Now I listen to it constantly.

Current stable of instruments are:

PRS McCarty
    Fender Strat
    Gibson Les Paul Studio
    Martin D35
    Breedlove (don't remember the model of that, but it's my beater acoustic as the Martin doesn't go out of the house)

Amplifiers:

Acoustic Acoustic amp
    (2) Blues Juniors (a version II and a version III)
    Line6 DT25 half stack w/ HD500 pedalboard

That's it so far....but I am always adding to the herd to chase that elusive tone.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm a bass player, but I started on guitar. I had a Fender Strat until I sold it a couple of months ago, but I do still have an Ovation acoustic. My bass is a Schecter Custom-5, natural finish. I've got an Ashdown 300W 4x10 amp to go with it - love that thing!
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm a guitar and keyboard player. I currently play a gibson les paul standard 05' with seymour duncan jb jazz humbucker pickups. I also play acoustic with a taylor dd3. I usually play through an egnater renegade combo amp, but have recently picked up an Eleven rack, which has completely changed my opinion on amp modellers, I am going to start using this live as there is no stage noise other than the monitor, and so many tones at my disposal.

For Keys, I use a Yamaha s90 es through a Jbl eon 510( mini PA). I also run the eleven rack through there, and it sounds fantastic.

Hmm dream guitar, that's tough because there are so many great ones! I would say if I could have any, a 59' les paul, or a languedoc (the guitar trey anastasio uses).

The band I currently play in is a variety/dance band, we play mostly motown/funk/dance music. When I'm at home I really enjoy playing blues.

Favorite song to attempt to play is Cliffs of Dover by eric johnson. Goal is to get as close to perfect as possible in 2013, some of those runs are insane even at 50% tempo!
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Dont play but im a lover of those that do.
  • threeonethree
    Options
    Current stable of instruments are:

PRS McCarty
    Fender Strat
    Gibson Les Paul Studio
    Martin D35
    Breedlove (don't remember the model of that, but it's my beater acoustic as the Martin doesn't go out of the house)

You have a solid collection! How does the Breedlove sound and feel? I havent had a chance to try one yet.
  • FGVC1188
    FGVC1188 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ibanez RG2550EX up in hurrr
    I have a Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster lyign around somewhere as well.

Crate RFX65 amp (need to upgrade here)

Dream Guitar? Either a JEM or the Universe 777 black with green hardware.

I dont really play any songs, just like to shred randomly
  • Food4Fuel
    Food4Fuel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Dream Guitar: a Taylor T3 semi-hollowbody, and a custom shop tele with lollar pickups. (Couldn't pick one)
    Dream Amp: Axe Fx II (look it up, why not have every amp :) ) I had the axe fx standard and loved it

Current Guitars: 50th anniversary American Deluxe Stratocaster, Squire Tele, and 410 Taylor Acoustic
    Current Amp: Egnater Renegade, wanted something with fenderesque cleans and Marshallesque Drive (close enough for now) More amp than I know what to do with haha.
  • Food4Fuel
    Food4Fuel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How do you like the black star? Nice set up by the way PRS makes a great versatile guitar.
  • Nekhet
    Nekhet Posts: 380
    Options
    Peavey Wolfgang EVH Special Red
    Esteban 6 string Acoustic
    Peavey Transtube practuice amp
  • randomgirlusa
    randomgirlusa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a Baby Taylor. I downgraded from a Big Baby a year ago. I've been learning for the last 2 years. I am mostly self taught from watching you-tube videos and using e-chords.com. I have about 20 cover songs in my collection that I have learned and one that I've written. I don't really have a dream guitar yet. I'm just kinda waiting to see if this is just a phase. Anyway, for now I just like to play and sing anything that I've heard on the radio that catches my ear.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

The wolfgang is epic, but very hard to duplicate the "brown sound"
  • Nekhet
    Nekhet Posts: 380
    Options

The wolfgang is epic, but very hard to duplicate the "brown sound"

Very true...so many have tried and so many have failed LOL

Only Eddie get's that brown sound and he is the master...

I do need to get a big Marshall Stack though....that would be fun.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I mostly play my Taylor 315 ce which i absolutely love, it might be my dream guitar. Although i would like a 12 string at some point. I also have an Ovation Celebrity and a Yamaha on which I taught myself to play.

I have spent a lot of time playing and singing, and left intricate guitar work up to the guy who plays along side me, but I have been recently trying to polish the nuance of my playing. To me, guitar playing is like golf - you can never be perfect. There is always something you can do better,.

As for what I play - I do a little of everything. I have played Buffett, I have played Rancid. I have played Eminem and Dave Matthews Band.

Of course I also play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Fly Firefly Fly and Rainbow connection for my son.

I also write some stuff, but you wouldn't have heard any of that.
  • threeonethree
    Options
    I mostly play my Taylor 315 ce which i absolutely love, it might be my dream guitar.

Of course I also play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Fly Firefly Fly and Rainbow connection for my son.

I also write some stuff, but you wouldn't have heard any of that.

I love Taylor acoustics! Well Martin too, but the Taylors i've played have sounded a bit brighter which I like.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Brand new guitar player here. I've been singing for a while but only playing for a couple of years. Splurged on a Taylor and hope one day to be worthy of playing it. :flowerforyou: Just putting in the time :smile:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Dont play but im a lover of those that do.

Me too! I also photograph local (and sometimes national) bands--I :heart: music and musicians.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been playing little by little for the last 5 years so I'm about as good as someone who's been really working at it for about a year :P
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I play steel-string acoustic and spanish acoustic