Bloated after workout?

Options
Does anyone else (mostly women) get bloated after working out? Especially the core. Like your whole core puffs up, you look wider and a bit chubbier, and your stomach is pushed out more?

I looked it up, but wanted other peoples opinions: http://www.livestrong.com/article/467459-abdominal-bloating-after-exercise/

Replies

• alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yep, that happens to me. I drink a LOT of water when I work out, so I always just attributed it to that. I'll be interested to see what others have to say.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This happens to me.
    What are your eating habits?

Pre/post workout nutrition?
    What is your workout routine?
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to; after swimming for long periods. In the pool you don't get hot and sweaty or recognise you need a drink.
    I've now started taking a sports drink to the side of the pool though and problem solved. :)
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    This happens to me.
    What are your eating habits?

Pre/post workout nutrition?
    What is your workout routine?

Eating habits/Pre workout:

I'll have oatmeal with egg whites, natural peanut butter, some fruit or stevia, unsweetened cacao powder, cinnamon and cook the egg whites and black coffee with the oats in the pot. i'll drink two glasses of cold water before eating breakfast along with a cup of cold water with Metamucil for more fiber and herbal tea in a mug that can carry very close to cups of water. I can't workout before eating and I make sure I have a bowel movement before working out and I wait for at least an hour or two, sometimes more before working out. I recently been trying to lower sodium intake and i eat a lot more veggies than I have before. I eat fruit, too, but not throughout the day.

Routine:

I workout three times a week, mostly strength. I do upper body on Monday, core on Wednesday and Lower on Friday (today). Depending on the day, I don't sweat much while working out. for example, today I will probably sweat a little more than usual because I get the most cardio in when I work my lower body...same with my upper. Depending on how I feel that day, I'll do 3 or 4 sets and the highest I go for reps is 20 and the lowest is 15. Recently I've been doing 16. but again, it depends how I feel. and I mostly do body weight training mixed with some dumbbells. I make sure that dumbbells are used at least for one move or a resistant band.

Post workout:

I'll have some flake light tuna with some black pepper or my lunch after I workout. My lunches are usually tuna, eggs, chicken bacon, turkey bacon, veggies, whole grain wheat and i don't add any extra sodium...i try to use spices more now. And I use a small amount of Dijon mustard since i know that contains a bit of sodium. Sometimes I'll have non fat plain Greek yogurt with cinnamon after a workout instead of tuna or a meal. And I drink two cups of cold water after I'm done with my post snack/meal.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Hmmm no stomach/abdominal bloating but my veins everywhere really dilate and it looks a bit scary...
  • toughmudderwannabe
    toughmudderwannabe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do, always have, even when I was at school and after PE My stomach would totally bloat, it's only short term tho but really noticeable!
  • nikkincs
    nikkincs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always do, just always assumed it was normal
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Always. I never really questioned it because it happens every time and I drink a ton of water. The only reason I don't like it is because I always feel hot and sexy after a good workout and then I go look in the mirror. :grumble:
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    I feel like I do. I thought that was normal too. Is it not?
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This always happens to me, like everyone else I assumed it was normal...!!!???