Why running makes me gain weight??

Options
2»

Replies

• Rachelsleigh
    Rachelsleigh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have to run on a treadmill since I'm a stay at home mom with a toddler that does not tolerate a jogging stroller. The gym has child care :) I track the calories that the treadmill says I have burned, and I do put my weight in while programming it so I think it's probably pretty accurate. I am not diligent with weighing foods, and I will eat back some calories but not all. I know I need to just stick it out and it will pay off, it is just very disheartening to see the number go up when you work so hard! Today I ran a mile at 5.0 mph and I said I burned 170 calories. I am no where near my goal weight, so I know being heavier I will burn more than someone that is smaller than me.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    it is just very disheartening to see the number go up when you work so hard!

It's not! It shouldn't be! Get over it!

When you see a lean fit person, does it even cross your mind what they weigh? It's virtually irrelevant.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have to run on a treadmill since I'm a stay at home mom with a toddler that does not tolerate a jogging stroller. The gym has child care :) I track the calories that the treadmill says I have burned, and I do put my weight in while programming it so I think it's probably pretty accurate. I am not diligent with weighing foods, and I will eat back some calories but not all. I know I need to just stick it out and it will pay off, it is just very disheartening to see the number go up when you work so hard! Today I ran a mile at 5.0 mph and I said I burned 170 calories. I am no where near my goal weight, so I know being heavier I will burn more than someone that is smaller than me.

It's most likely the food weighing issue. Crack down on portion control for a while- don't eyeball-portion anything. Do that for a couple of weeks and see if it helps.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Well that's the first problem then. The calibration of the majority of treadmills, ellipticals, etc. in the gym are OFF. They are NOT recalibrated every day, and maybe once a year if that. You're actually better off with getting your own HRM.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back whatever I've burnt, as long as the net amount does not exceed my goal (1200 calories in my case). Again, I just lose 1/2 lbs per week or so this way, but it's always losing, never gaining! Is your profile customized (i.e. did you let MFP suggest you how many calories you can eat daily according to your life-style, workout routine,and goals?) If if you do that and you stick to it, you should see the results...
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    How long are you giving it to see if it starts going back down? My scale is finally starting to go back down after about 4 weeks of ups and downs and no real progress. I'm actually still at a higher weight than I was 12/15, but it is now slowly going back down but more importantly I've lost: 1.5" under bust (bra band size), 2.5" off my natural waist, .5" off my belly button, 2.25" off my hips and 1" off my thighs! Very rapid gains like 5 lbs in one week are almost never true gains. When my TOM is approaching, I tend to gain 1-2 lbs a day for about 4 days straight, then my weight stays up for about 4-6 more days, then it starts coming back down. I tend to hit a new all time low right before this trend starts and as long as my low is getting lower, I'm happy!

One thing I have noticed is that I am more hungry now than I used to be, so do be sure that you are properly logging and tracking everything you are eating.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I am also training for a 1/2 and I know for me, the day after my long run or speed intervals, I am holding extra water but usually after a rest day it's gone.

Best of luck trying to figure this one out.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    After any exercise, you'll retain more water as the body repairs the muscle fibers used in that exercise.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Anyone who starts to run any significant amout will quickly increase weight (over several weeks) by around 4 to 6 pounds.

This is dues to increased glycogen storage and increased blood volume. Hot environments will give a higher weight gain due to a higher increase in blood volume.

These training adaptations go away quickly if you stop running.

The training adaptations and cooresponding weight gain are a product of increasing fitness. They are good things unless your sole objective is scale weight.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Running doesn't make you gain weight, other than minor adjustments your body makes to aclimate to running.... bringing in more calories than you burn makes you gain weight.

Suspect that you are over estimating your calorie burn from running and underestimating how much you are replenishing.

It is basic math.

Good luck.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I gained weight with running. I even talked about it for a fitness podcast. My problem was i overate my training. Also the better I got with running, the less I burned.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and a measuring cup.

I run with an HRM and in a 10K (6'1' 210) I burn about 1000 calories in an hour. That's 500 for a 5K. A half-m would be 2000.

Based on all the race junk you can eat, and some of the post race goodies, it is EASY to overeat on race day too.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of factors at play here and I don't know what your stats are but just going by your profile pic, it looks like you don't have much weight to lose. So I'm guessing first of all that it's very unlikely that you're burning 170 calories for a mile at 5mph. When I run closer to 6mph, I get at least 120 calories and I'm 5'7" and about 170 pounds (so about 20 pounds overweight). If I had to guess, I'd say you're probably getting closer to 120 calories.

Another possibility is that if you're not running consistenly, when you do, your muscles are retaining water as part of the natural healing process. This can definitely add on a pound or two. And if you're eating a high sodium content diet on top of that, the water weight will increase. I think if you're consistent with your running and you watch your sodium intake and drink plenty of water (meaning 12-14 cups on an active day), you'll see that water weight come back off.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    1. If you love running- keep it up.
    2.Stick with your eating goals.
    3. STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF EVERYDAY!!

(Maybe just weigh yourself once every week or every 2 weeks. My weight goes up after each workout!)
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Minnie that it's unlikely you're burning 170 calories for one mile at 5mph. Obviously a HRM is the most accurate way to track calories burned but I always work on the assumption that the average woman burns around 100 calories per mile. This number will be slightly higher depending on your weight or if you run really fast but its not going to be wildly different from this number.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    The first year or so I was running I couldn't lose any weight. Turns out I was NOT EATING ENOUGH. Okay calories in calories out is still valid. But I was trying to survive on 1300 calories (and not eating back exercise) which was causing me to binge on weekends etc. Which meant that even though I THOUGHT I was staying within goal and eating only 1300 calories, I was averaging much higher. Now I eat closer to 1600 calories (as my TDEE) and my runs have been much better and the weight loss, though slow, is at least trending downwards. Also agree with others on measuring carefully. I'm sure before I got my food scale and joined MFP even though I was calorie counting that 1300 might have been more like 1700 some days.
    I have to agree with Minnie that it's unlikely you're burning 170 calories for one mile at 5mph. Obviously a HRM is the most accurate way to track calories burned but I always work on the assumption that the average woman burns around 100 calories per mile. This number will be slightly higher depending on your weight or if you run really fast but its not going to be wildly different from this number.

This too. I wear a HRM while I run and find that a 12 minute-mile (5 mph) is about the tipping point for this. If I run a little faster than that, it's about 100 calories per mile. If I ran slower than that, it'll be less.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    When I used to do daily 5K speed walks I'd eat afterwards like a reward & thinking it wouldn't hurt me. Boy was I ever wrong! For a long time I wasn't losing per the scale but was losing inches on my body. Most women (OK, ME lol) have to see lower numbers on the scale to know we're doing better vs. knowing our clothes are getting baggier.
  • rabt6f
    rabt6f Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a nice treadmill that tracks calories. However, once I bought a HRM, I realized my treadmill was estimating my calories at about 40 to 70 more a mile than I was really running.
  • emills1970
    emills1970 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump