Lifting produces amazing results, but I have a question.

Options
I've seen many posts showing the amazing results of lifting/heavy lifting. There is no dispute that it's a great way to build strength and become a leaner, meaner ; ) version of oneself.

As a person that started off needing to lose more than 100 lbs, I've lost most of it doing cardio only. Now that I've gotten a good portion of the weight off, I've started focusing more on adding lifting/muscle conditioning in regular routine in addition to the cardio.
I'm starting to focus more on body composition rather than weight. It's sometimes a bit of a process to make that mental shift.

So, herein lies my question: Are there any of you people out there that have lost 100+ lbs or more through lifting alone (no cardio)? I'd really love to hear/see some success stories. Please share.

I've seen a lot of results from extremely well-sculpted individuals that only lift weights and do no cardio whatsoever. I've seen people lose a lot of weight and become 'skinny fat' (or start that way), then start lifting and completely change their physiques.

I personally think that a balance of both is what is going to work best for me.

Replies

• mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Bump. Am in a very similar boat to you - lost the vast majority of my weight through intense cardio, but my shape has changed massively since lifting heavy. Will watch this with interest!
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am just responding to give you a bump in the hopes that someone more knowledgeable will jump on this. :wink: Hmmm
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have not lost over 100lb, however, my suggestion/opinion is:

- start strength training now. While a well planned full body workout based around compound lifts will be best in your case, any program will be beneficial. You should look into Stronglifts 5 x 5 if you have access to a gym. This group has a lot of information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

- you can lose weight without cardio - it is all about the caloric deficit. Cardio does have a lot of benefits to it however.

- you can also increase your activity through NEAT (non-exercise activity) - this is an ofttimes under-appreciated way to increase your deficit.

As I say, I have not lost 100lb+ but I lost all my weight by ensuring I was at a caloric deficit and strength training. The amount of cardio I do is minimal (usually about 12 minutes after lifting only). I am not saying not to do it, I am just saying it is not necessary for weight loss or body composition.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Howdy!

Fat loss comes from caloric deficit. Period. The reason most people like to add cardio for fat loss is to increase that deficit - its actually generally more important for people who are leaner to do cardio as otherwise they have a hard time eating low enough to lose while still getting enough nutrients unless they do it. (there are OTHER reasons to do cardio, for health, but its not required to lose weight).

I have not lost as much as you are asking about, but in terms of relative SIZE I've lost about 70 lbs. I went from a size 16 to a comfortable 8 (not tight anywhere) with only 40-50 lbs lost., doing very little deliberate cardio (I did complete C25k at some point last year, and when I first started losing all I did was walk for 45 minutes). Actually today's jeans are a 6, and comfy, but I think they're just a weird cut. If I squeeze, I can wear a six in other things, but its not comfy at ALL.

I am not 'extremely well sculpted or anything' (I'll change my profile pic in a second to a recent one) but hopefully the above helps you? I know its not quite what you asked for but - I did start from very over-fat (210 or so) and I'm now 165ish. Also I eat a LOT more than most people and I'm getting visible results from it - 2100. I attribute that to the lifting, entirely.

I do however, walk more than an average suburbanite with a desk job. My friend and I tend to go across the street for coffee a couple times a week, and we walk a mile round trip to pick up lunch, and on weekends I tend to walk to my local farmers market which is about 3 miles round trip. Not ridiculous amounts or anything but probably a good deal more than many.

ETA - my size 16 was a 'i barely fit in these' 16. It probably should have been an 18. But I was and still kind of am in denial. either way, I was very ...fluffy.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump...very interested in this subject
  • GloriaAnn72
    GloriaAnn72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do both and I have to do some cardio or I won't lose weight. I do have a question, I am new to this site and I do a series of machine and free weights, but I don't get any points for calories burned in the exercise part??!! I am sure that I am doing something wrong and I know that I burn calories when I lift. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I do both and I have to do some cardio or I won't lose weight. I do have a question, I am new to this site and I do a series of machine and free weights, but I don't get any points for calories burned in the exercise part??!! I am sure that I am doing something wrong and I know that I burn calories when I lift. Any help would be appreciated.

You can find it under cardio - not very intuitive I know.
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

You can find it under cardio - not very intuitive I know.

OMG...I did not know that either !! LOL !
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest anyone do both from the start unless you are large enough to make it difficult to get even in a machine. After consulting a doctor!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Far from an expert but people usually say cardio will make you look good with clothes on, and strength training makes you look good naked...in other words cardio is a great way to lose weight, but strength training is the really the only way to shape (sculpt) you body. Some will prefer one over the other but a good exercise routine must contain both cardio and strength training to be most effective. Even professional bodybuilders incorporate cardio into their programs. Hope that helps.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Do 5/3/1 with power assistance or BBB. I've made more progress with that then 5x5 - I injured myself with 5x5
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Under cardio is a strength training option. Though calculating calories burned while lifting is very difficult. It all depends on weight, intensity, how fast your doing it.

Lifting does not burn near as much while your doing it as cardio does but its the gift that keeps on giving. Muscle burns more energy to rebuild and maintain so your body will burn more at rest the better the shape you get in.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I lost about 60 lbs doing only cardio and then another 40 doing about 90% strength training, 10% cardio. Took me a year to lose the 60. Took me about 5 months to lose the next 40. But the amazing thing to me was that after 60 lbs, I still looked just like I did before, only on a smaller scale, which tells me I lost a lot of muscle. Three months of heavy lifting completely changed my body. I dropped several dress sizes very quickly. The rapid change actually did sort of a mental number on me because in my mind, I was still a fat girl, but in the mirror, I was starting to look really fit, and it didn't make sense to me that cutting out all those hours of cardio and picking up some heavy weight did that. I had been told all my life that cardio was the best (the ONLY) solution.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think it's a mistake to try to lose ANY amount of weight with cardio alone. Even if you have no interest in adding any lean mass, you need to do some kind of resistance training to maintain the lean mass you currently have. As for doing strength training alone, I think it depends on your concept of strength training. You can get an excellent cardiovascular workout from weight lifting, assuming proper loading parameters, set/rep structure, doing compound lifts, etc. Conditioning is sort of an incidental benefit. But if your idea of strength training is biceps curls and triceps kickbacks, I would not remove traditional cardio from the equation.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I was 270 when i started losing weight solely though lifting alone (and a bit of scuba diving) but I didnt do any cardio my first year of weight loss

I went from 270-220 ( I am 5'9) with ease - I wasn't really tracking what I ate and I was gaining strength consistently through the first year. My last year I have gone from 220-to now about 203ish this morning and I have had to supplement cardio after every weight session - also my strength gains have significantly slowed down.

That being said I love to lift and its what has kept me at least in the gym for the past two years. I think i was losing weight with lifting initially just because I was so obese. I used a heart rate monitor to try and accurately gauge how many calories i am burning during a full lifting session and unless I am doing heavy deadlifts or squats I guess my body has gotten used to it cause my HR really doesn't get above 120 anymore - where as during stairclimbs it gets well into the 150s and can sustain there for quite sometime.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    I guess what I'm saying is that I think it's a mistake to try to lose ANY amount of weight with cardio alone. Even if you have no interest in adding any lean mass, you need to do some kind of resistance training to maintain the lean mass you currently have.

Not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but out of curiosity: do exercises with small weights (i.e. 30 Day Shred & other small weight repetition exercises) and using body weight (i.e. push-ups) count as "resistance training" with regard to preserving lean body mass?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Do 5/3/1 with power assistance or BBB. I've made more progress with that then 5x5 - I injured myself with 5x5

You are suggesting 5/3/1 to a beginner? Really?
  • hoosierlad
    hoosierlad Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It is great you are lifting as I think it is critical to truly getting in shape and helping to burn more calories / fat. I definitely think you need both lifting and cardio. Cardio not only for additional weight loss but for the aerobic gains. Keep at it !
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I guess what I'm saying is that I think it's a mistake to try to lose ANY amount of weight with cardio alone. Even if you have no interest in adding any lean mass, you need to do some kind of resistance training to maintain the lean mass you currently have.

Not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but out of curiosity: do exercises with small weights (i.e. 30 Day Shred & other small weight repetition exercises) and using body weight (i.e. push-ups) count as "resistance training" with regard to preserving lean body mass?

Not really - you need to have progressive loading and stay in the strength/hypertrophy range to do that.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.