Rewards

Options
So, I am notorious for using food as a reward when I do something good or to celebrate something. I'm tired of using this as a reward since I am trying to change my mentality about the way I eat. But, I don't know how else to reward myself! Anyone have some ideas of ways to reward yourself that doesn't involve food?? Thanks! :-)

Replies

• jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I buy a book, or a new song/album, or a new item of clothing. :)
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    Put $1 in a jar every time you work out...or for every x number of calories burned. Buy fun new workout gear or something cute to wear.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    a new item of clothing in a smaller size

an inexpensive piece of jewelry.

go see something or do something cool like movie or gallery.

dig around in the back of your closet. you may have a reward in an item you haven't been able to fit into for a while.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    What kinds of things do you like? And are you talking about little everyday kinds of things or big accomplishments or both? Basically, pick stuff you like (good examples above if you like that stuff) and reward yourself with something you feel adequately represents the level of achievement you are celebrating.

Or just stick money in a jar for each pound or day you meet your calorie/exercise goals or whatever, then take the $ out and spend it on something nice for yourself - or a spa day or something. Whatever floats your boat and makes you happy.

I've seen some people just starting out who have set up long-term reward systems around clothes. I'd shy away from that. People setting up a reward system that includes new jeans at 50lbs lost will be all messed up because it's highly likely you'll need new jeans LONG before you hit 50lbs (maybe several pairs). The flip side of that is when you reward yourself with clothes, you want something nice. But if you're losing weight-a lot of weight- that nice top or whatever you bought isn't going to fit for long.

But do what makes you happy-that's what rewards are supposed to do.
  • 5auce
    5auce Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A massage
  • mjmom2
    mjmom2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i'M a shop-aholic so I buy stuff to reward myself. I bought an outfit that is my goal outfit and thats my motivation to keep going.
    pedicures and manicures are great rewards or even treat yourself to a new hair cut or color. A day at the spa would be a great treat
    Try just trying on a smaller size jean
  • hwalt001
    Options
    I have a savings account that I transfer a $1 to each time I work out. I transfer the money when I weigh in on Mondays so it is almost a reflection of my week and how hard I've worked! I write motivational memos next to the amount too so when I go back in each week, I see how much I have so far and I can read all the memos again! Once I get to a $100, I plan on taking the money out and buying cute workout tops and hopefully in a smaller size! New gear always motivates me because they proper place to wear it to is the gym or working out outside. Of course I'm going to want to show off my new stuff so it keeps me going back, well that and the endorphins ;)
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Put $1 in a jar every time you work out...or for every x number of calories burned. Buy fun new workout gear or something cute to wear.

I love this idea...but Im going to have to lower that to $.50 (broke girl here)
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Shoes!!!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I like to reward myself with new exercise equipment or fitness toys of one sort or another... FitBit Flex is next on my list... Even if its a $10 pedometer for 10 pounds dropped or $5 ankle weights for 5 pounds. Its another tool to help drop the next ten or twenty pounds and a reward all built into one!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I love this idea!! (especially with my kindle fire).........another idea is a charm bracelet....adding a charm with meeting each goal....
  • MarthasVineyard
    MarthasVineyard Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I reward myself with a manicure or an inexpensive piece of costume jewelry. Last week I was finally able to feel comfortable in wearing yoga pants and a fitted T shirt. I bought them on sale from Old Navy. The shirt was only $300. I love the idea of the $1 savings. I'm going to try it.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    So, I am notorious for using food as a reward when I do something good or to celebrate something. I'm tired of using this as a reward since I am trying to change my mentality about the way I eat. But, I don't know how else to reward myself! Anyone have some ideas of ways to reward yourself that doesn't involve food?? Thanks! :-)

What do you like?
    I am a huge fan of tattoos.... and I know that I'm getting my sleeve done. So, instead of going to get it whenever I felt like it, I have to reach a certain amount of weight before I did. Every 20-30 pounds is a different portion of the sleeve.
  • bethanykf
    Options
    I have a running list of rewards for myself:
    *Harry Potter Kinect Game for xbox 360 (yep, I'm a dork:tongue: )
    *New exercise clothes
    *A kindle book
    *hand weights
    *zumba workout dvd or kinect game

Whenever I think of something else I want I add it to the list on my phone.
  • adoreabella
    Options
    I used clothes, pedicures and getting my hair done as rewards. I agree, food is not the best reward as it doesn't break the bad habit. I would buy myself a lot of new clothes as mine would get too big. I am not one of those people who can stay motivated if I am wearing clothes that fall off me. I would go to Walmart or somewhere else inexpensive as I was replacing clothes every month or so in the beginning. Then I would pass my too big stuff onto my friend for her sister. Win win :)
  • kjf1982
    kjf1982 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have set mini goals, each time we both reach the next goal we do something fun. Whether it be a movie, or going bowling. Something other than eating. Each pound we lose, we put a dollar in a jar, and that is what we use to pay for the reward. :) It's so fun!
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a savings account that I transfer a $1 to each time I work out. I transfer the money when I weigh in on Mondays so it is almost a reflection of my week and how hard I've worked! I write motivational memos next to the amount too so when I go back in each week, I see how much I have so far and I can read all the memos again! Once I get to a $100, I plan on taking the money out and buying cute workout tops and hopefully in a smaller size! New gear always motivates me because they proper place to wear it to is the gym or working out outside. Of course I'm going to want to show off my new stuff so it keeps me going back, well that and the endorphins ;)

This is awesome! Gotta try it :) thanks for the idea!! :flowerforyou:
  • llpaq
    Options

I love this idea!! (especially with my kindle fire).........another idea is a charm bracelet....adding a charm with meeting each goal....

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE CHARM BRACELET IDEA!!!!
  • misssmarita
    Options
    It depends on what you like. You could buy any book/CD, but I think it's a good idea to shuffle your resources back into something that helps you on your weight loss journey. To that aim, I would suggest:

a) A book by someone who's got a weight loss success story
    b) A CD of music you find motivating
    c) New clothes that make you feel good
    d) A haircut/manicure/facial
    e) Fitness eqipment: pulse watch, clothes to exercise in, pedometer, etc.

GOOD LUCK!
  • llpaq
    Options
    I seriously am going to keep food because all of these ideas are great but I LOVE :heart: food, I just can't continue our unhealthy relationship:ohwell: so if I work out for 2 weeks straight I'm going to get something I like- and try it with variations. Like I love enchiladas so next time I'm getting some with low-fat cheese and just eating half of it- and savoring it, instead of inhaling it!:huh: - I'm hoping one day my "food rewards" will be wayyyyyy healthier than they are now! :happy:
    But I am going to try the charm bracelet and the dollar savings reward too :smile: