Am I just switching out one bad vice for another?

Options
So recently I gave in and took all the Pepsi out of my life, and by Pepsi, I mean all soda. I replaced my soda intake with another caffeinated beverage, coffee. Since I started, I have definitely felt much more alert and active, and even in some ways happier, which is weird. I would prefer Iced Green Tea, but as of the moment I can't find a reasonable sale on the kind I enjoy. (Tazo)

So my worry is that, even though I have heard rumors that Black coffee increases weightloss, by suppressing hunger pangs and boosting the metabolism, I'm worried that it might not be that great for me.

Anything that feels this right, can't be good.

(Still experiencing heavy soda withdrawl as well, anyone have any ideas.)

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Why did you stop drinking pop? Was it for the caffeiene or the calories from the sugar? If it was due to sugar switch it for diet pop. Otherwise, coffee is great but if you decide to give that up at some point it's something else to get over.

Do you like other brands of green tea? Personally I love the Tetley green tea which I drink in both caffinated and decaf versions (decaf closer to bedtime). Tetley is one of my favourites. If you have a Tassimo or Keuig both versions have great green teas along with other teas.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee in the morning and with meals and a range of lots of different types of tea (mostly decaf herbals) during the day. Too much of anything is not great for you, but a bit of coffee is fine if you don't get hyper and don't get an acid stomach.

Break things up. It keeps things interesting. But, frankly, I wouldn't worry unless you're going mad with it.
  • momof3kiddos34
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you are drinking. If you are having one or two cups a day and not putting to much extra in it (sugar, sweetener, etc), then I say go with it. Coffee has been shown to have several positive attributes. There is NOTHING positive about soda. It's just drinking a bottle of chemicals.

If you are having like 7 or 8 cups of coffee a day, or loading it with tons of additives, then green tea is the way to go.

Good luck!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on what you put in your coffee and how many a day you are having. If you're drinking 5 cups of black coffee a day, there's not much of a big deal there... I have 2 tablespoons of flavored creamer, and 1 teaspoon of sugar, but I only drink 1 coffee a day.
    Saying anything that feels right can't be good is false. Take sex for example lol!

Pepsi isn't good, coffee is good! Problem solved :wink:
  • hitstuff
    hitstuff Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The good outweighs the bad by opting for the coffee imo. Diet soda has sodium, and caffiene, and the much maligned artificial sweetener (if that's even something you're concerned about). Drink your coffee and enjoy it. This lifestyle change is hard enough as it is. We need all the help we can get. If the coffee is working and feels right, embrace it my friend!!
  • athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    I dropped the soda and coffee for tea. The main reason I dropped both was because of all the sugar in soda, and all the sugar + cream I was adding to coffee, so as long as you are drinking your coffee black, it's fine. If you're adding stuff to it, then you're just trading one sugary beverage for another. :)
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Pepsi has ~ 8 tsp of sugar in it or the High Fructose corn syrup equivalent. Your body will have to react quickly with enough insulin to dispose of all that high glycemic carbohydrate. I'm not sure if Pepsi has any redeeming qualities but coffee definitely does. Coffee is a natural food and contains and abundance of antioxidants.
  • indy_cat
    Options
    Have you tried any of the MIO flavors? No calories and lots of flavor. I mix the sweet tea flavor & the lemonade flavor. Just a little of each in a large sports bottle is all you need. I have also tried fruit punch and mango tea. I'm sure there are more that I haven't tried. The container is small and closes tight so I carry it in my purse to add to bottled water when I am out. I never learned to like the taste of plain water so MIO is perfect for me. Hope it works for you too.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I drink 4-6 cups of coffee (black) a day, no soft drinks. The only bad thing coffee has ever done for me is given me a slightly upset stomach when I've had >6 cups. I think you've made a wise choice.
  • Queen2day
    Queen2day Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I commend you as I know all too well first hand how difficult it is to give up soda. I did this about 6 years ago per my doctors advice. At the time I easily drank close to 2 Liters a day of Dr. Pepper. Although I was told that I could drink the diet version, I elected not to. I told the doctor that if I couldn't have the "real thing", I didn't want it. LOL I definitely went through withdraw as I had a constant headache for about two weeks, then it went away. I imagine the headache was my body's way it dealt with the sudden decrease in sugar and sodium [although at the time I didn't realize how much sodium was in soda.]. My beverage replacement of choice has been water (YEAH ME !!!) I don't drink coffee and as a treat, I will have some Lipton Ice Tea, home brewed. On occasion I have been in situation where the only beverage is soda, which I have chosen the clear ones such as Sprite or 7-up, but none of them taste good to me now as I am very sensitive to the salty taste in sodas now. Who would have thought???
  • latonya41
    latonya41 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    you look great!!