Starving but gaining weight..

To cut a long story short..

I started my weight loss journey on January 6th, and had a calorie allowance of 1500 a day. I'd zig zag calories some days but made sure to average 1500 a day. I lost 6lbs in my first week and was doing really well.. this took me down to 15st 6lb from a starting weight of 15st 12lbs.

Then my partner left me last Tuesday, and I've been so depressed, upset and angry that I haven't had an appetite & if anything have just felt sick constantly. I didn't eat anything for 3 days, and then when I finally did eat it wouldn't be much, and even now 10 days later I don't have much of an appetite and can't stomach anything.

I weighed in at 14st 11lbs last Sunday, after days of not being able to eat.. then Monday I managed 1251 calories, Tuesday only 750, Wednesday 902 and Thursday 431.. Today I think I've eaten about 700.

Anyway, I weighed yesterday morning & this morning and I'm 14st 12lbs, so I've gained a pound and I'm also pretty bloated. I'm confused because I thought eating very little would shift the scale downwards & not cause me to gain?

I'm not sure if its stress or water retention or just a general case of not eating enough. I really want to start eating properly and if I have to force food down my throat just to help my weight loss then I will.. But I'm not sure how to go about it when I've been gaining from eating very low calories?

Replies

• Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Drink some alcohol tonight. It should make you drop some of the water
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    You say you're bloated and that you went up a pound. *A Pound*

You answered yourself.

Just work your way back to eating at a normal range.

I fluctuate 2 pounds from day to day. (Heck, wish I could have lost 6 pounds in one week!)

Break-ups suck. But....the pain passes.
  • Angmu7
    Angmu7 Posts: 23 Member
    Why not just not step on the scale for a while. You are dealing with a lot and you have to start eating and the scale might be unkind to begin with given everything. So just start by makeing good choices (to eat and track) and set a date to check your weight.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    I would suggest you DON'T drink alcohol when you're depressed. Sounds like you were doing very well with the 1500 calories per day. Unfortunately you're going through a rough time, but work towards eating back to where you were, exercising to help with stress and taking care of yourself. You will be fine.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    You say you're bloated and that you went up a pound. *A Pound*

You answered yourself.

Just work your way back to eating at a normal range.

I fluctuate 2 pounds from day to day. (Heck, wish I could have lost 6 pounds in one week!)

Break-ups suck. But....the pain passes.

This is all very good advice!

I would add, get some exercise! Even if you just start about by wandering around a park or mall, exercise can help with the blues.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    most bodies don't react well to this starvation type eating. it's probably trying to hold on to what it has...
  • Starving might be the REASON you're gaining weight. Eating less calories than you need might cause your metabolism to plummit. Please do try to consume at least 1200 calories a day. Even better, eat at/a bit above your BMR.

GOOD LUCK!
  • nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    You had a few days where your calories were EXTREMELY low....now you are eating a bit more your body is holding on to everything so as not to "starve". Sorry to hear of your break up but you are doing this for you, not your ex-partner. I agree that you should only weigh once a week, especially as a woman, the scaled can fluctuate anywhere within 5lbs throughout the day!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    To cut a long story short..

I started my weight loss journey on January 6th, and had a calorie allowance of 1500 a day. I'd zig zag calories some days but made sure to average 1500 a day. I lost 6lbs in my first week and was doing really well.. this took me down to 15st 6lb from a starting weight of 15st 12lbs.

Then my partner left me last Tuesday, and I've been so depressed, upset and angry that I haven't had an appetite & if anything have just felt sick constantly. I didn't eat anything for 3 days, and then when I finally did eat it wouldn't be much, and even now 10 days later I don't have much of an appetite and can't stomach anything.

I weighed in at 14st 11lbs last Sunday, after days of not being able to eat.. then Monday I managed 1251 calories, Tuesday only 750, Wednesday 902 and Thursday 431.. Today I think I've eaten about 700.

Anyway, I weighed yesterday morning & this morning and I'm 14st 12lbs, so I've gained a pound and I'm also pretty bloated. I'm confused because I thought eating very little would shift the scale downwards & not cause me to gain?

I'm not sure if its stress or water retention or just a general case of not eating enough. I really want to start eating properly and if I have to force food down my throat just to help my weight loss then I will.. But I'm not sure how to go about it when I've been gaining from eating very low calories?

Read this if you haven't

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Eat. You have to eat. Even if it's just comfort food like milk shakes or mashed potatos. Grief takes away your appetite, but you'll feel better if you eat. Depression symptoms are made worse by lack of nutrition.

A walk around the block will help immensely, too.
  • cyndi2012
    cyndi2012 Posts: 65 Member
    I was sick for about a week during the first part of January, and couldn't eat much of anything. I lost weight during that time, obviously. When I was finally feeling better, I gradually worked my way back to eating my normal calorie range. I gained back the weight I lost, plus 2 lbs. When I was back at my "sweet spot" calorie range, I lost those 2 lbs and another 1/2 pound to date.

It will fall back into place, just give it time and work your way back to your normal calorie range. Good luck!

ETA: I exercised consistently aside from the days when I was sick... walking, workout videos, and Just Dance :wink:
  • Panda307
    Panda307 Posts: 61 Member
    Sorry to hear about your break up. I was always the same way couldn't eat for awhile after. Let yourself have sometime to grieve without thinking about the scale. Eat healthy, workout, and let this time be about you and what you want.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    I find that anger at my ex-husband fuels my best workouts! Once the sadness passes,re-channel some of that.Sometimes I think of him on purpose when I want to run faster and longer.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    I hit a plateau when I faced a super-stressful time. Did that ever add to the stress. But when the stress became manageable again (about 10 days later) the weight started falling off again. I don't know if there is a tested relationship between stress and weight loss, but even if there isn't, I assume that there is one.

Take this time to love yourself. Meditate every single day. That will help you destress and find your inner peace

Did you know that when you really commit to a goal, that everyone around you MUST change to accommodate it or leave? There is a saying that goes: If you want to change the altitude, you have to change the attitude: EXPECT TURBULENCE!

When I started losing weight, I ran into marriage problems. But I stuck to my guns and was willing to leave him if that's what it took. Now my life in general is so much easier. He has become very supportive of my endeavor. My confidence is blossoming. Those marital problems were wonderful to have in retrospect - though they certainly weren't at the time. Some people need to leave you in order for you to have the best life possible. If that's the case with you, it will turn out to be a very good thing. Time turns those lemons into lemonade. Trust it.
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Hey Lozziee... People are pretty much right. What does biology (our bodies) do in starvation times? It lowers our basal metabolic rate (BMR) so that we can conserve energy. Let's say your BMR is about 1600 calories a day. That means that your body needs 1600 calories just to lay in bed all day and listen to the grass grow. If the body isn't getting this 1600 calories over time, it will start to lower it's expectations and reduce the BMR to maybe 1400, then maybe 1200, then lower and lower. If you were consuming under 1000 calories over an extended period of time, your BMR may have decreased quite a bit. Hence, when you start to try and eat what you normally would eat in a day, your body (for the immediate time being) says "wtf mate?!? You're taking in more than you usually do. Well, let's store this extra energy (food)"... Hence gaining weight. But don't fret... Now you just need to find a way to slowly bring your BMR up. 1) Exercise - it's good not only for your body, but your mind. Do a little cardio to help get the blood pumping and get your heart rate up and help clear your mind. Maybe light weight (resistance) training to get your muscles stronger. Your body, over time, will start to say, "OMG, I suddenly need to increase the amount of energy expended"... which leads me to 2) EAT HEALTHY when you're hungry. Try not to go into starvation mode for too long, because then it'll be counter-productive. Honestly, you may see a slight gain in weight in the beginning. But continued healthy living will eventually bring your BMR and Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) up, and you'll be able to eat like you used to, and still lose weight. If you need anything, let me know!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    most bodies don't react well to this starvation type eating. it's probably trying to hold on to what it has...

This
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    This too

Hey Lozziee... People are pretty much right. What does biology (our bodies) do in starvation times? It lowers our basal metabolic rate (BMR) so that we can conserve energy. Let's say your BMR is about 1600 calories a day. That means that your body needs 1600 calories just to lay in bed all day and listen to the grass grow. If the body isn't getting this 1600 calories over time, it will start to lower it's expectations and reduce the BMR to maybe 1400, then maybe 1200, then lower and lower. If you were consuming under 1000 calories over an extended period of time, your BMR may have decreased quite a bit. Hence, when you start to try and eat what you normally would eat in a day, your body (for the immediate time being) says "wtf mate?!? You're taking in more than you usually do. Well, let's store this extra energy (food)"... Hence gaining weight. But don't fret... Now you just need to find a way to slowly bring your BMR up. 1) Exercise - it's good not only for your body, but your mind. Do a little cardio to help get the blood pumping and get your heart rate up and help clear your mind. Maybe light weight (resistance) training to get your muscles stronger. Your body, over time, will start to say, "OMG, I suddenly need to increase the amount of energy expended"... which leads me to 2) EAT HEALTHY when you're hungry. Try not to go into starvation mode for too long, because then it'll be counter-productive. Honestly, you may see a slight gain in weight in the beginning. But continued healthy living will eventually bring your BMR and Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) up, and you'll be able to eat like you used to, and still lose weight. If you need anything, let me know!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    That 1 Lb is water. I can fluctuate a pound or two...sometimes even more from day to day and throughout the day. One thing you have to remember is that weight loss is not linear. I'll give you an example of my last couple of weeks:

Friday Jan 12th: 190.3 Lbs (official logged weigh in)
    Mon Jan 14: 193.5 Lbs
    Tues Jan 15: 191.9 Lbs
    Wed Jan 16: 190.4 Lbs
    Thur Jan 17: 188.9 Lbs
    Fri Jan 18: 189.4 Lbs (official logged weigh in; down ~ .9 Lbs)
    Mon Jan 21: 192.4 Lbs
    Tues Jan 22: 191 Lbs
    Wed Jan 23: 189.5 Lbs
    Thurs Jan 24: 187.4 Lbs
    Friday Jan 25: 187.8 Lbs (official logged weigh in; down ~ 1.6 Lbs

None of those fluctuations are fat...you know how I know...to gain a Lb of fat in a day, I'd have to eat 3,500 calories above my maintenance level TDEE...which would mean I'd need to consume roughly 6,000 in a single day, or 12,000 calories over a weekend...I can eat, but I can't eat that much. I also know because I track sodium...I'm do reasonably well during the week, but I tend to have a lot of high sodium foods on the weekend as we are usually out and about and just grab whatever and eat out more (which is always higher sodium)...so a good clean week of eating gets me to my Friday weight...but on Monday, I'm easily a couple pounds or more over what I was on Friday. This has pretty much been the trend for the last three months.

If it really bothers you, stay of the scale...or only weigh once per week at the same time and under the same conditions.

Also, eating very few calories as you were is not a good thing at all. It only takes about 72 hours of eating at that large a deficit for you body to signal that it's time to stall the metabolism; it does so in defense of itself from starvation. When this happens, you don't burn much, if anything...your body stores it up. 1,200 is the bare, bare, bare minimum to net to prevent this from happening. Even then, 1,200 is too little for many people.