Hungry all the time - making me want to quit!

Options
Anyone have some tips for me with my diary - am absolutely starving all the time! Only way I can stick within my cals is to excercise a lot but feeling quite fatigued and wanting to give up so need to get some tips. Have been concentrating on this for a few weeks but is all very new. Thanks

Replies

• d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    According to the ticker on your profile, you are only aiming to lose around 7kg. Taking this into consideration, you should have your calorie goal set to lose 1/2lb a week at most. This will give you more calories to eat and mean that you aren't as hungry.

Try adding in strength training if you aren't already doing it, as this will help to "tone" (for want of a better word).

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Ratchet up the protein, decrease the variety. Eat bland gently cooked foods so you don't get much pleasure from eating.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think there's nothing wrong with variety, or in enjoying what you eat!

I would track your sugars, there's an awful lot of sweet treats in there (not just fruit)

And I'd take your carbs down a bit. For me, sugar and carbs leave me feeling hungry, though everyone will have their own experience of this.
  • ChattyKathy316
    ChattyKathy316 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You say you're hungry all the time, and I can totally relate. There are days I seem to never get enough! I pack an entire day's worth of food with me to work, except for my dinner. This way two things happen, I have control over what I'm eating (I don't hit the vending machine) and I have plenty of food available. I usually don't eat all of it, but it's there if I need it. I don't give myself a hard time about eating when I'm hungry because I've already made the decision of what I'm eating, and they were good decisions.
    Good luck and stick with it!
  • wiresc
    wiresc Posts: 1
    Options
    Adding strength training is a great suggestion if you aren't already doing that, and do make sure you are getting enough daily calories. Bland food would have me giving up within day!

{mod edit}
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    According to the ticker on your profile, you are only aiming to lose around 7kg. Taking this into consideration, you should have your calorie goal set to lose 1/2lb a week at most. This will give you more calories to eat and mean that you aren't as hungry.

Try adding in strength training if you aren't already doing it, as this will help to "tone" (for want of a better word).

Good luck :flowerforyou:

This.. plus replace carbs with more protein and fats. Protein and fats have significantly higher satiety rates. Also, as a point of reference, depending on how much you workout, most women I know working out 5-6 days a week eat 1700-2100 calories, those that are 3-4 eat 1500-1700. You can probably eat more than where you are now.
  • joddumz
    joddumz Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm doing probably 3 proper 1 hour excercises classes + walking a fair bit and other bits here and there. i used to do a lot of running but i got an injury a couple of years ago and am a bit wussy about starting to run again.

On the sugar thing - so true, i am pretty much under my fat and salt intake every day but the sugar is my weakness, am trying to find ways to curb the sugar habit
  • Lilihel
    Lilihel Posts: 53
    Options
    I would say watch your sugar and Sweeteners. Sugar makes you hungry and of course is bad for you. Eat more fiber, leafy greens, fruits and protein to stay full longer.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Adding strength training is a great suggestion if you aren't already doing that, and do make sure you are getting enough daily calories. Bland food would have me giving up within day!

{mod edit}

It's tough for the first couple of days, but it really drops your hunger to the point of having to force yourself to eat a deficit. Try some plain chicken and plain Irish potato with a little salt.
  • flibertyjibet
    flibertyjibet Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Before I head to classes in the morning I pack my bag with good options (like orange, banana and mozzerella sticks or greek yogurt or a low sugar granola bar) that way I always have something to eat. If you can eat fruits and veggies farly frequently throughout the day you wont feel hungry at all. Cutting out processed wheat and sugars can help you feel fuller too. Remember just because something has a low calorie content doesnt mean it is good for you.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Before I head to classes in the morning I pack my bag with good options (like orange, banana and mozzerella sticks or greek yogurt or a low sugar granola bar) that way I always have something to eat. If you can eat fruits and veggies farly frequently throughout the day you wont feel hungry at all. Cutting out processed wheat and sugars can help you feel fuller too. Remember just because something has a low calorie content doesnt mean it is good for you.

The eating "fruits and veggies frequently throughout the day" part might work for you but I've found lean proteins do the trick for me. No blood sugar spike from the fruit that makes me want to eat more when it crashes but the bottom line is do what works for you. Also, it takes a lot of veggie material to make me feel the same amount of long term fullness that I get from 4 oz. of chicken breast, tuna, salmon, pork tenderloin.......

I agree with the suggestion of replaceing some (about one third to one half) of your carbs with protien and good fat.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've found that a combination of fiber, fat, and protein is what gives a meal staying power.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'll echo what others have said. Meals with fiber, fat and protein keep me going a lot longer. That doesn't have to be huge, one of my favorite lunches is a peanut butter sandwich (45 calorie bread, 1/2 a serving of PB) and a fruit or veggie. Only about 250 - 300 calories, depending on what produce I have.

I'm not officially low carb, but I wind up being that way because things with carbs tend to be high calorie and don't fill me up. If I pick other things, I can eat more AND feel full longer.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    doubling your protein intake would be a good start
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    How is your water intake? Many people misconstrue thirst for hunger and you could be more dehydrated due to increased exercise.
  • kbru64
    kbru64 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I find that if I don't eat enough protein for breakfast I am hungry all day. Try hard boiled eggs or natural peanut butter.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Increase protein (lean sources) and drop sugar content - it will drop cravings and help alot with your hunger. You can get in around 3 ounces of chicken for 100 calories and it lasts forever - it also takes more for your body to burn though it. (about 25% more calories to burn it versus carbs or sugar)
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    More water and protein. Less carbs. Variety in exercises.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Eat more than the 1290 calories you have set for yourself....like they've already said, eat more protein. And check out this post to see what your BMR and TDEE are to make sure you're getting enough especially on the days you work out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    More water and protein. Less carbs. Variety in exercises.

This. Simple and effective.