Mashed Cauliflower?

Options
Kayciemae02
Kayciemae02 Posts: 58 Member
I am looking for the best way to make mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes. I've heard it can be really good! I'd love to hear your recipes!

Replies

• jc112486
    jc112486 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    this sounds good. I don't know how, but I would make this too!
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    steam a head of cauliflower (make sure it is thoroughly cooked or this will end up gritty)
    drain and dump in to your food processor
    add 2 Tbls of low fat sour cream
    add 2 Tbls of Smart Balance (or similar)
    add 2 Tbls of grated parm cheese

grind it up and enjoy. Tastes like mashed potatoes only 1,000% better for you!
  • lgwilliams77
    Options
    Soooo simple and so indestructable!

Steam whole cauliflower with a dash of salt for 20 minutes. I even get it to a boil, close the lid and take it off the burner to steam the rest of the way. Wait until it is fairly well done.

Mash with whatever. I have a hand beater and it works fine. Add two slices of American Cheese - no butter, no cream. Salt & pepper to taste. For Steak I do this and add a little parmesan and garlic.

The only fat & cals are in the cheese so it is 200 cals total for the whole head which makes 4-6 cups.

The best part is - once you make it - you can't over cook it. It is awesome if you are entertaining.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Just steam, mash and eat! Kcuf the butter and gross jiz! Add a little coconut milk maybe. Yum.
  • kcami2
    kcami2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make mine the same way as Reimersma4 except use low fat greek yogurt instead of sour cream. LOVE it!
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Silly question, but does it still taste like cauliflower? Cauliflower is one of the few veggies I don't like, so I've been hesitant to give mashed cauliflower a try.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I just did this for the first time the other night. I chopped up the cauliflower, and simmered it in fairly shallow water for about five minutes. Drained, then tossed in the food processor with a little butter, a little milk and a little garlic seasoning. It was really yummy and I really didn't miss the potatoes. Very low cal!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with mashed califlower...BUT...I love to make a low cal pasta sauce then put it over steamed califlower...way less calories than pasta and tastes great.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    I make it by steaming 1/2 to 1 head of cauliflower.
    While that's steaming on the stove, put (approximately) the following in a blender:
    1/4 c of 2% cottage cheese
    1T of that minced garlic stuff in jar b/c it's way easier than keeping garlic cloves on hand for me
    2T of nutritional yeast (or parm is a good substitution)

drain your cauliflower and dump in your blender (careful it's hot & I sometime forget that).
    Blend and enjoy!

I think it's a really good substitue. Just play around with the ingrediants until you find a combo you like. I like more garlic flavor so i usually add more of that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I make it the same way I'd make mashed potatoes. Add a little reduced fat sour cream, olive oil or butter and mash. Sometimes I add chopped chives or roasted garlic.

I've made this for the most hard core "I don't eat healthy" people and used a whole head of cauliflower and just 2 med potatoes and they had no idea it wasn't all potatoes.

Turnips and parsnips are both good mashed too.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Make mine the same way as Reimersma4 except use low fat greek yogurt instead of sour cream. LOVE it!

That Riemersma4... quite a guy!

Great idea on subbing greek yogurt for the sour cream. I will try tonight.

Thanks for the input!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Silly question, but does it still taste like cauliflower? Cauliflower is one of the few veggies I don't like, so I've been hesitant to give mashed cauliflower a try.

Add one potato to it to give it a potato taste, or serve it with mushroom gravy and you won't notice much difference.
  • erinmarispini
    erinmarispini Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe I use.....Sometimes I add crumbled up Turkey Bacon but then you have to remember to add those calories.

Weight Watchers Creamy Cheesy Cauliflower Mash
    Servings: 4 servings
    Serving Size: 3/4 cup
    Nutritional Info: 84.0 calories, 3 g of fat, 9 g of carbohydrates, 3.6 g of fiber, 6.7 g of protein

Ingredients
    1 head of cauliflower, chopped into small florets
    4 cups chicken stock
    1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
    2 tbsp half and half
    4 cloves garlic
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    1.Bring the chicken stock to a boil and add the cauliflower florets and garlic. Boil for about 7 minutes or until cauliflower is soft and cooked through.

2. Drain the cauliflower and reserve 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Add the cauliflower and garlic to a blender with Parmesan cheese, half and half, 1/2 cup chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Blend to desired consistency. Enjoy!
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Add one potato to it to give it a potato taste, or serve it with mushroom gravy and you won't notice much difference.

Thank you! I will give it a try.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I just cook in mine a little ff chicken broth. Process and add a lil milk, a lil healthy style margarine, salt, pepper, eat.
  • Kayciemae02
    Kayciemae02 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Can't wait to try some this weekend!! ALL these recipes sound so yummy :happy:
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try this! Thank you!
  • imgrammyof8
    imgrammyof8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make mine the same as erinmarispini, and a friend of mine that hates cauliflower, loved it!!
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I already planned on having cauliflower with my steak tonight, but now it's going to be mashed with Molly McButter and light sour cream - and possibly some cheese! Yummy!
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Also cauliflower rice. Blend raw cauliflower, add spice, few spoons of water and microwave, gorgeous