cheat days

Options
2»

Replies

• khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I stick to my calories 6 days a week and on my weigh day I have what I want I don't starve myself during the week and am losing weight someone I know who I started mfp with lives on 800 calories a day and binges on the 7th day she's losing quicker but I defo would not recommend it tried to tell her that she should be more careful but she won't listen I guess I'm thing to say keeping a small defect most of the time and splurging isn't bad if you want it it can be good you don't have to go on an extreme so called diet :)
  • bmakkz
    bmakkz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love cheat days! I just track everything I eat and keep it at my 'maintenance' calories for the current weight.
    For example, I literally had chocolate, mini-pizzas and soda yesterday, but managed to keep it at 1,700-ish. Moderation is key!
  • coderedjulia
    Options
    Usually a major con, and if I have a cheat day, it can't just be one meal. I'm prolly also drinking high calorie drinks like soda and alcohol. It's funny how it takes so long to lose weight, and you work so hard to do it, but one day of a screw up and it you can gain quite a bit of weight.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    For the first time ever I am planning a cheat food...not cheat day. On a specific day I have picked out I am going to the store and purchase nut stuff. Nut butter(s) and a selection of nuts. I am then going to plan my meals for the following days around the nut stuff.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I usually just have a cheat food on occasion rather than a cheat day and I plan it in so that it fits with my weekly macros and within my calorie goals for the day. I won't do buffet. Like sending an alcoholic to an open bar. Like sending a crack ho to an evidence locker... Not a good idea! Perhaps once I get close to my goal weight then I may be capable of doing one once a year or so, but I really doubt it.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I try not to have cheat days. If I crave something, I'll just keep it under my calories.

^^^This. If you think of cheating, then you aren't thinking of what you are doing as something you will need to do forever. You are in the mindset that this is temporary until you lose the weight and then you can go back to what you were doing before. If you make cravings and indulgences work into your calories and macros, then there is no cheating and you aren't being deprived and this will make you more successful in the long run. :smile:

This. What are you "cheating" from exactly? I am not on a diet or overly regimented or restrictive eating plan, I therefore have nothing to "cheat" on. I find a way to fit in all the naughty stuff-smaller portions and/or save it to have on long-run days where I earn a boatload of calories or something. Finding ways to fit the naughty stuff in without turning it into an evil event or a binge-fest is the key to my long-term success.

But to each his or her own-whatever works for you is what works for you.
  • kansaspeach
    kansaspeach Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to be a HUGE fan of cheat days. But it's SO hard to get myself right the next day - I'd then tell myself - "okay, two cheat days won't hurt anything." Then my whole life and exercise plan would get derailed and I'd find myself in a never-ending string of cheat days, and depressed and unmotivated. If I don't eat right every day and work out, I don't want to get back on the wagon. So, like some others have said, I'll give myself a naughty treat once in a while (oh, Starbucks non-fat no whip mocha, how I love thee), but I keep it under my calorie allowance and burn every day on the elliptical. ::happy:
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you work out regularly and stay on track most of the week, you should not be harmed by a cheat day. As long as its an actual "cheat" day and not a BINGE day.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a system that works for them, but I know for me a cheat day would end up being a cheat week & I would end up right back where I started...I am waaayyy more comfortable having what I want, when I want it...just keep the portion in check. That is my saving grace. Last night I had a cup of icecream after dinner.. and I still was under my caloric goal for the day (1600 cal's). :)
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    1 cheat meal a week while still be under/hitting my calorie goal. I look forward to it so I don't binge. I have to plan out my cheat meals though so I don't go overboard...=)