1200 cal per day menus

Options
I need help with menus for staying within my 1200 cal per day. Does anyone out there want to share their menus?

Replies

• LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:

Coffee (50)
    Fruit (100)

Lunch:
    Yogurt (80)
    Fruit (100)
    Protein bar (200-300)

Dinner:
    Meat & veggies (400)

Snacks: (2-3 of each)
    Fruits
    Almonds
    Popcorn
    Oatmeal
    Veggies (like carrot sticks)
    etc.

Not neccessarily MY diet per se, but it's what I aim for. (My plan is more of a 1500 cal day though.)
  • Bonnieeileen
    Options
    I have recently lost 30 lbs. I have 7 to 10 raw almonds, powdered protein drink :( half water half juice), or 1 egg for breakfast for protein. If I am not having juice, I have half banana or whole orange with breakfast. I have i packet of oatmeal, 1 buttered toast or half lightly buttered bagel. I have a whole can of soup for lunch or salad with protein. Up to 6 crackers of choice optional. Soups with beans or lentils are best. Sometimes I will have half can of refried beans with 1 oz. cheese, chili powder and salsa. I use regular salad dressing no more than 2 T. Extra vinegar or dill pickle juice mix with dressing to better coat salad. I try to have carrot, 1 tomato, 1/3 cucumber, lettuce each day. It can be at lunch or supper. Half fresh fruit, 7 nuts for snack. Supper is 1/2 C carb of choice, 4 ozs. meat or 6 ozs fish. Steamed vegetable no limit unless corn, peas. I have 1 or 2 pieces of Dark Chocolate a day. Favorites are Bliss and Dove. Usually have them afternoon with cup of tea. I have 1 c black coffee with breakfast. More tea after dinner. Raw vegetables are free anytime for snacking. Depending on circumstances, if with friends or out, sandwich is okay then have light supper. I have snack of 1 T peanut butter & 2 crackers at night. Diabetic. Hope this helps.
  • Bonnieeileen
    Options
    I forgot to tell you that I binge 1 day a week. The other days I range from 1200 calories to 1500 calories a day. I find I lose more weight by varying the calories than I do with sticking exactly to 1200 calories all the time. I do plaeau about every 5 days, but staying the same or losing are both okay as long as it is in the right direction. I have about another 80 lbs. to lose. Bonnie
  • Serendipityunt
    Serendipityunt Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1,200, so here was my Monday menu:

BREAKFAST:
    2 hard-boiled eggs (140 cal)

LUNCH:
    1 c. Ragu spaghetti sauce (160)
    2 oz. thin spaghetti pasta (210)
    1/2 c. broccoli cooked in pasta sauce (30)
    1/2 orange bell pepper, cut in bits and cooked in pasta sauce (19)
    1/8 c. parm cheese (55)

DINNER:
    1/2 c. Green Giant creamed spinach (70)
    1 thin-sliced chicken breast (80)
    27 baked thin frozen fries (150)

SNACKS:
    Special K Pastry Strips (100)
    5 c. plain popcorn (180)

Hope it helps!
  • jesskreg
    jesskreg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know at first it seems tricky, but there are actually lots of options. I typed a few below just to show it's possible to eat yummy food on a 1200 calorie diet; you just need to balance things out. I try to keep my breakfast under 300 calories, lunch under 300 and dinner around 400, then leave the rest for snacks. Do some research on this website and just browse through the foods listed. Hope this helps
    Here are a few ideas:

Breakfast Options:
    1 egg with salt and pepper (approximately 80 calories)
    90 calorie "slimwich" buns with light butter
    1 cup of cheerios with skim milk (around 150)
    2 whole grain eggo waffles (180 calories)
    banana (around 100 calories)
    apple (80 calories- depends on size)
    Black coffee (zero calories)

Lunch options:

Lean Cuisine Meal (try to keep it under 300 calories)
    Fruit
    Subway Sub on whole grain bread with ham or turkey (about 300 calories)
    Salad (spinach or romaine, can add cheese, light dressing, etc.-- calories depend on toppings)
    Low sodium soup ( choose one with vegetables- progressive is relatively low in calories)
    Veggie sandwich- wheat bread, spinach, tomato, green pepper... whatever veggies you'd like (choose whole wheat bread or slimwich)

Dinner:
    Chicken breast (4 oz. - about 160 cal.)
    Healthy Harvest Pasta
    Veggies
    Salad
    Pork loin

And many more....
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RobJVM
    RobJVM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm discovering that losing weight for me has to be a lifestyle change so I don't limit what I can and can't have. It's all about portion control and eating slowly enough to get the maximum enjoyment out of the portion I have. If I limit what I'm "allowed" to have as soon as the diet ends all the weight comes right back so whatever you do, make sure you don't suffer because it's FOREVER.

That being said I'm allowed 1600 calories a day. I have a Kashi bar for breakfast (and every 4 hours between other meals) and like they say on TV "A sensible lunch or dinner."

Overloading on the veggies helps me too. I can eat SMALL cheeseburger or a BUCKET of broccoli.

Lastly you have to be 100% honest with the calorie counting or else it's useless. I started dieting with the MyFitnessPal app on Jan 11 and I've lost 12 lbs. I am just blown away (and I'm not suffering).

PS - I also ride my bike at LEAST 5 miles at LEAST every other day.

- Good Luck!
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I get 1290 calories a day. You can add me if you like - I love to cook and don't tend to really eat any prepared foods.
  • Rutht17
    Rutht17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a diificult time hitting my 1,200 calories a day. I eat but just not enough calorie foods. Anyone have some help with this?
  • MommaHunt47
    MommaHunt47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert for sure, but I do love food, so I DO NOT deprive myself.

I usually have a homemade egg mcmuffin for breakfast (1egg, 1 english muffin 100cal, sprinkle of cheese if I want it, or sometimes I add a Morningstar Sausage patty..that is my fave). This fills me up until lunch most of the time.

Snacks, 100 cal yogurts, cheese stick, fruit - but keep it low cal, not over 250 calories

Lunch, a protein shake, frozen dinner or a salad with 4oz protein

Dinner, 4oz protein, salad, veggies, some coucous or brown rice.

I also workout most days, doing SOMETHING, even if it is walking the dog! That is the key! Calories in/Calories out! Don't pop a pill either - it will mess up your metabolism! No pill is worth it. I've been popping pills since I was 16yrs old and here I am almost 40 and if I lose 1 lb a week, I'm excited! my metabolism is freaking shot!

30892209.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ScreenGem
    ScreenGem Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sample menu
    BREAKFAST:
    Your Favorite Protein Powder + 1/3 Banana + PB2 + water=150 calories

LUNCH:
    Healthy Choice Lunch Express-Pasta Margherita 1pkg=270 calories
    Chicken of the Sea - 3oz Canned Pink Salmon=80 Calories

DINNER:
    "All Hail Kale Salad" see description below
    Kale Salad (3 cups raw kale/homemade dressing-lemon, spices, olive oil, water) + 1c of grilled Tempeh=234 Calories

SNACK #1:
    A decadent cookie, fruit, or another smoothie (maybe w/1 tblsp of peanut butter)=220 calories

SNACK #2:
    Small Dark Green Salad + Meat substitute or Chicken (if you like that sort of thing)+low cal dressing + crackers=246 calories
  • Bonnieeileen
    Options
    I forgot to add that I keep cans of V8 on hand for anytime. I also have a variety of fresh fruit and canned fruit on hand. Variety of taste seems to help me. Some people do better eating the same thing all the time. I do not. I have 1 or 2 pieces of the dark chocolate every day so that I do not feel deprived. It's approximately 66 calories. Some people cannot handle having a bag of candy around they eat the whole bag. You have to find what works for you. I also have extra around like 100 calorie bags of popcorn, ginger snaps,lemon drops, individual prepackaged items like yogurt which you can freeze, choice of protein bars. My wight loss is more of a lifestyle change. I give myself permission to eat anything I want if I am craving it. I just watch the amount. Counting calories is more of a guideline now. I like the 80/20 rule best. Be watchful the majority of the time aware of what and how much you are eating. Eat what you want 20% of the time. It is working for me.
  • ScreenGem
    ScreenGem Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ...I'd also like to add, that although I have a 1200 cal limit as well. I notice that i do better when I exercise that day and can eat more calories. I'll weigh myself again this weekend so...fingers crossed.
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    Thanks for sharing menu ideas!!
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You just need to add some friends that eat 1200 per day and then you can see their food logs every day. It would be very beneficial to you! I eat more than 1200 per day so unfortunately I wouldn't be too helpful.
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I dont usually go over 1200 (unless Im lifting heavy on legs, in which case Ill increase carbs before and after to restore glycogen levels). Im also high protein and low carb, but not anything dumb like the Dukan diet. Im more into cycling carbs.

I dont eat processed, empty cals or diet junk. Send me a friend request if you want to talk specifics. Hard to simply tell you to eat XYZ. Youd be surprised how hard you can make certain foods work for you if you choose the right ones. By choosing properly, 1200 cals can go a long way.