GOD HELP ME!!!!!!

Options
Hello....I am new to this and need all the help I can get. I have been faithfully workingout for the past 3 months and gaining away... I have recently increased my activity from 30min to 90 min 4 x a week and am still gaining.... I know the muscle weights more, but that is not what I want to hear.... My goal now is to control the food intake. I am now at a triage position where I sit for 10 hours a day. We have food brought in by the reps and it is far from healthy.... I need to bring my own, I know, but when you walk by a room full of chinese food and pasta it is hard to resist..... I need any words of wisdon I can get. And of course the ongoing support of GOD....

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome and congratulations on really kicking the exercise up a notch! But I agree that getting the food intake under control is vital. It is virtually impossible to exercise enough to make up for mindless, out of control eating. I've been there and it is just WAY too easy to eat an entire marathon's worth of calories expended with just one order of pizza and cheesecake! I highly recommend at least starting to log everything you eat without even worrying about the calories for a couple of days. You will likely see why you are still gaining weight and it is probably a simple case of eating more than you are expending, even with the 90 mins of exercise 4x/week. Once you have a good idea of how much you are eating, the next step is, as you said, planning and bringing your own food so that you can be less tempted by the food you are surrounded with. You will find a lot of support here. Best of luck!
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    What works best for me is to avoid the foods that temp me as much as possible. Try staying out of the room with all the bad stuff.
    I personally have always been so bad at taking my lunch to work until I changed my ways a few months ago, but it is not hard. You are worth the effort! Take the time to shop for the food u need for lunch! SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS NOT FAILURE!

Use this website and reach out to people on here it really is helpful. We are all in the same boat.
    Good luck and keep me posted on your progress.:flowerforyou:
  • kat1976
    kat1976 Posts: 10
    Options
    I hear ya...every time I start running I end up gaining weight...like you, I'm told it's muscle....so hard!
  • maryroseclare
    Options
    Hi and welcome! After filling out your profile and figuring out your daily calorie goal, you need to track you daily calorie expenditures. That's key. Do you have an Iphone - I have the iphone app for myfitnesspal, it makes it SO much easier to plan ahead and track as you go. Also, go grocery shopping if possible on saturday, buy all your fruits/veggies for the week, wash, chop and package for the entire week coming up. Then you can easily pack a lunch and snacks to take to work with you. It is a lot of effort, but REALLY helps alot.
  • tthrasher34
    Options
    Hi.......... Everyone has given great advice. I have a sit down job, so I know how hard it can be to shed unwanted lbs. What seems to work for me is to most definately take the personal survey, which probably already have when you signed up, and track, track and track your meals on the "FOOD" tab, at the end of the day look at see how much you exceeded your caloric intake by and then look through your list of foods and see which ones are the biggest contributors to your excess calories. Obviously you have figured that the more cardio you do, the better. If you are trying to shed lbs, here are a few tips

lets lay out a plan for you:
    - Eat a sensable breakfast, sensable means 500 calories or less (breakfast by the way is a must, you have to eat breakfast to loose weight, other wise your body, being smarter than you are, will store weight). Here is the importance of break-fast, see breaking the fast is what breakfast does. If you eat breakfast no need to read the next sentence. here is the deal, lets say you eat dinner at what ever time, lets use 6pm, and then you do not eat anything tangible until, lets say lunch. that is 18 hours that your body has been without food, your body has modes of operation, one of them being "STARVATION MODE", starvation mode is bad. Just eat breakfast.

- Snack, eat a snack about 2 hrs after breakfast. (I eat things like yogurt, string cheese, fruit, nuts, 100 cal. snack packs, or some times a slimfast). You also need to eat a snack between lunch and dinner. these snacks are in place to keep your body energized and to keep you from being overly hungry when it is lunch/dinner time. It is almost like saying that you need to eat to loose weight.

- lunch/dinner, look at luch this way, if you eat a high cal lunch you will need to eat a low cal dinner, if you eat a low cal lunch, you will be in control and on your way to winning.

- Do not do strength training, like you have heard, it could build muscle which means no weight loss and that will discourage you. Stick with cardio, cardio, and more cardio, aerobic excercises. You can circuit train on weight machines by doing fast paced low weight high repitition type excercise with four simple activities. Example, 25 (or less) 4 count flutter kicks, (take no break between any of these), leg extension machine, reasonable but low weight 20 repitions (faced pace), add 1 or 2 more of things that you like to do, after you complete the 3/4 excersise, take a few seconds to walk to the water fountain, get a drink of water then hit it again, and repeat until you have done these excercises all 3 times each, and then maybe work up to doing them 4 times each. the idea is to get your heart rate up and hold there for the duration of the excercises.

- Good old brisk walking or biking for 30 minutes or more. I go to a gym, so I get on the elyptical for 10 min., bike for 10 (level 5 or better 100 rpms or 16 to 20 mphs) and treadmill for 10 (4 mph or better).

Since you have increased your working out, don't just focus on the scale, you can loose inches and not weight, which is good. Hang in there. Try to meet your calorie goals for the day, you CAN DO THIS, I have become addicted to MFP, I enter everything I eat into it, and every cardio excercise I do. If I am going to walk a substancial distance more than 5 minutes, I walk it fast sand I log it. As a matter of fact I log 18 minutes during lunch every day, I go out side and walk at a brisk pace for 9 minutes before and 9 minutes after lunch and I log it. I invite you to look at my diary if you know how, I do not know how or I would tell you, and see what I am eating. Good luck to you, and hang in there, once you get your metabolism into gear, you will see results.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    here is the deal, lets say you eat dinner at what ever time, lets use 6pm, and then you do not eat anything tangible until, lets say lunch. that is 18 hours that your body has been without food, your body has modes of operation, one of them being "STARVATION MODE", starvation mode is bad. Just eat breakfast.

- Do not do strength training, like you have heard, it could build muscle which means no weight loss and that will discourage you.

The poster here said 2 things I do not agree with, but SOME of their advice was sound.

I agree with eating breakfast every day, it really IS crucial. But NOT eating breakfast has nothing to do with "starvation mode". That phrase is tossed around WAY too easily on these discussion boards. That is a serious condition that takes a long time of eating way too little DAILY. You don't enter starvation mode by lunch because you skipped breakfast.
    But breakfast really does wake up your metabolism and get you burning fat sooner once you get it going.

And secondly, I would never advise someone to just do "cardio cardio cardio" and "do not do strength training".
    Unless you want to be scrawny and flabby. Strength training is important to tighten up as you lose the pounds.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    here is the deal, lets say you eat dinner at what ever time, lets use 6pm, and then you do not eat anything tangible until, lets say lunch. that is 18 hours that your body has been without food, your body has modes of operation, one of them being "STARVATION MODE", starvation mode is bad. Just eat breakfast.

- Do not do strength training, like you have heard, it could build muscle which means no weight loss and that will discourage you.

The poster here said 2 things I do not agree with, but SOME of their advice was sound.

I agree with eating breakfast every day, it really IS crucial. But NOT eating breakfast has nothing to do with "starvation mode". That phrase is tossed around WAY too easily on these discussion boards. That is a serious condition that takes a long time of eating way too little DAILY. You don't enter starvation mode by lunch because you skipped breakfast.
    But breakfast really does wake up your metabolism and get you burning fat sooner once you get it going.

And secondly, I would never advise someone to just do "cardio cardio cardio" and "do not do strength training".
    Unless you want to be scrawny and flabby. Strength training is important to tighten up as you lose the pounds.

Seconded!

I think it is important to eat breakfast and not skip meals in general, if possible, but I also don't think that missing one meal is going to spiral you into starvation mode. What skipping a meal MIGHT do, however, is make you feel irritable, light headed, and ready to eat any sugary treats that come your way. (That's what seems to happen to me, at least!)

And I CERTAINLY wouldn't recommend that you skip resistance training unless you want to end up "skinny fat"! There are a lot of people I see who get down to their goal weight and still end up feeling unhappy about how they look naked. Often this is because they have neglected to strengthen and build their muscles while they were losing the fat. While it is true that when you initially start weight training, you might see a small weight gain, that gain is likely coming from both water retention in the muscles as they are healing (i.e. becoming leaner and stronger) and because muscle is more dense than fat, so even though you may be smaller, if you have added some lean muscle mass, it might add a small amount of weight. That muscle is going to ramp up your metabolism, though and only help you lose weight in the long run.
  • tthrasher34
    Options
    WOW!!!

okay, maybe I should have spent a little bit more time talking about "Starvation Mode", but I really was trying to be brief and speak on a basic needs level to an individual that is looking for help. Every one being different, I felt that this individual need a plan; most people start on weight plan alone and have no real idea how or what to do, I was laying a starting point and I probably should have mentioned that this should be a short term plan, but by no means should it be a long term plan. I would however like to add that I have lost 9 lbs since April 18 (15 days), I have starting yesterday started building strength training into my excercise, but wanted to avoid it at first until I had jump started my metabolism. I would also like to add, that I have two friends that are also successfully loosing weight with the advice that I provided. The topic of the post looked like a desperate plea for help, i was providing what I know works, but like I said, I could have spent a little more time explaining that this should have only been a short term plan.

Keeping in mind, that many people that do not see results will get discouraged and give up on weight loss because it can be difficult need to see results. The plan I laid out WILL give results and nothing that I offerered was harmful or would outlandish.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Keeping in mind, that many people that do not see results will get discouraged and give up on weight loss because it can be difficult need to see results. The plan I laid out WILL give results and nothing that I offerered was harmful or would outlandish.

I agree. I don't think you said anything harmful. I just wanted to chime in that, while I think it is a good idea to eat at regular intervals, I didn't want to have the OP panic about "starvation mode". I've seen too many people stressing themselves out to get in calories when they aren't hungry just so they don't commit what they feel is the ultimate sin of skipping a meal.

And, well, I just outright disagreed with the notion of not doing strength training. Doing only cardio won't kill someone and you are right in that it might lead to somewhat slower results on the scale (at first), a well-balanced workout regime is going to be the best way to get satisfying, long-term fitness and health.

Sorry if my response came off as anything other than offering a different view.
  • tthrasher34
    Options
    It's all good, I looked at your diary, how do you live, you eat like a bird. I could never survive on what you eat. And congrats on your weight loss success.

Good day.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    It's all good, I looked at your diary, how do you live, you eat like a bird.

That's funny because I am eating constantly and I am frequently telling those with 1200 calorie/day goals to eat more! I eat at least 1400 every day, but I'm also female, 5'3 and 127 lbs. I'm guessing your stats are a bit different. I'm glad you aren't trying to survive on what would be really low calories for a man of almost any height/weight because that would be rough.
  • tthrasher34
    Options
    LOL, you are right, I am 5' 11", started at 186'ish and now 175. I do find myself, on occassion leaving a couple of hundred calories unused for each day. But that is probably because I do; do a lot of cardio. I haven't excerciseed for about three years until about 2 months ago, so I am really very eager to get my cardiovascular system back upto par. I used to be quit the runner until a back injury followed by a knee injury put me out. But even with my stats being different, I have trouble sticking to the 1,850 calories that MFP has me on, I do cardio so that I can eat what I want. Funny I know, but I see it as paying for eating more than I am supposed to. I am really just trying to get my abs back to be truthful, turning 43 this year and trying to deny that I am getting old and turning into my dad are my motivation; seems to be working, LOL.

Take care, nice chatting with you.