Protein shakes?

Options
I see people at the gym trying to sell all diff types of protein shakes and stuff....now im sorry if this seems dumb lol but I have NO clue what protein shakes will actually do for you...they seem like a bunch of crap thats sold to people to make them think itll do something (kinda like EVERYTHING in GNC) opinions? Answers? pleaseeee :) thanks

Replies

• ctroxell2004
    Options
    That is what I used to think as well, but my sister is into eating right, weight lifting and got me interested in them.

For me they are a quick, easy snack and always had been...I was having a hard time finding ones that I enjoyed the taste of...I finally found some-Lean Dessert is a great brand. They have Whipped Vanilla, Chocolate Fudge, Banana nut, Cinnamon Roll, and Chocolate Coconut Candy Bar.

I have tried all but the coconut candy bar and must say that I like them all-they are delicious.

1 scoop of the powder is 150 calories, but has 21 grams of protein, 1 gram of fiber, AND ONLY 2 gs of sugars-and let me tell-you would never guess it.
    For me, they are quick and easy....and I know it will replace a meal for me if I need it too..
    I usually mix the protein powder with 1 cup of almond milk and you are at 210 calories-I also like to add different kind of sugar free fat free pudding mix-cheesecake, butterscotch, banana cream...they make them so good and yummy.

I don't go to the store to buy it-because the people at GNC always want you to buy something more expensive and isn't always better-I buy it online....
    this is the only shake I've tried that actually tastes good-shakeology is horrible (in my opinion) and wasn't a big fan of body by vi.
  • Bonkers1025
    Bonkers1025 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey zazu22, not all of those protein shakes are necessarily crap. I don't get them at the gym but if I need the protein, they sometimes have one so that I get a quick and nutritious meal. I personally have to have lactose free and they many times do have those. Not everyone needs the extra protein but if you are working out and doing a lot of weight loss, then you may need extra protein to help build muscle.

I have had gastric bypass surgery and need 60Grams of protein daily or more just to be healthy. If you eat a well balanced diet and get enough protein from other sources, then you don't need any extra from such products as those sold at the gym. It's a personal decision and many times the gym owners are trying to make a quick buck. Hope this helps.
  • fightingautism
    Options
    I have Vi shakes. I tried it religiously for 9 days, didn't drop a lb so I quit. But I still use them for meal replacement sometimes. I think different paths work for different people & celebrate anytime one finds something that works for them. But for me, I need food. I did feel hungry & deprived.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered Carnivore protein shakes. They have beef protein. Really good!! After heavy weightlifting, you need the protein for recovery.
  • Bonkers1025
    Bonkers1025 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One of the best tasting shakes that i found is from powder form. It is Muscle Milk Light, vanilla. The ready made of this brand is just too thick and sweeter. You can make this in a blender or what I do is put it in a shaker and add ice. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
    It has 25 grams of protein and is lactose free too. Hope this helps anyone who is looking for a good protein shake/supplement.
  • xHeraclesx
    Options
    oh my goodness! Protein shakes are awesome supplementation to anyones diet! We all need the additional protein and nutrients. It also helps curb your appetitie especially when on the run. I like doing a shake with my quick oats for breakfast as its convenient and I dont have alot of time dilly dallying with eggwhites during the am work week

go to bodybuilding.com there is a number 1 rated protein powder right now im using and its great. I love it. 25g protein per scoop no sugars, fillers or carbs.

cheers
  • MaxsMomTN
    MaxsMomTN Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake for breakfast, cut up some fruit like strawberries and add some ice and I have a nice smoothie for breakfast. Personally I hate breakfast and I always used to skip it, which is a bad thing to do. So this gives me a good start to the day, and I'm not hungry until lunch. I sometimes will have one at lunch, when I have back to back meetings and just can't take the time to eat. I use Ideal Shape meal replacement shakes in Vanilla, and I love the taste.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I sometimes add Kale or spinach to Vega One or Genuine Health Vegan Proteins. It's awesome, body can easily digest, and fills you up with very few calories. Mine are less than 140 calories per scoop and 15-26g of protein respectively along with a whole wack of other vitamins and minerals.