Should I quit smoking while I am currently trying to lose we

Options
Hi, I am currently quitting smoking....day 2, yikes! :sad: Well anyway, it's been told to me that quitting smoking and losing weight don't go hand in hand. It's either one or the other. What do you all think?

Replies

• colavitas
    colavitas Posts: 4
    Options
    Some people especially women tend to eat instead of smoking so make sure you keep track of your calories!!! As a dental hygiene student I teach people abotu how smoking affects your body. Remember your going to breathe easier so excersizing will be easier. your taste will improve and you wont be harming youself with allt hose chemicals. why workout and eat right if your going to smoke is my opinion. good luck on quitting!! its a great accomplishment that many people can barely grasp.
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    you very well can do both. just for some people it's hard to give up two things at the same time, and they find it easier to work on their diet, and then work on smoking. but that doesn't mean it's impossible.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I am not a smoker so my opinion counts for little but it seems to me that since many people gain weight when they are trying to give up smoking that by doing both together will get you where you want to be faster!!!

A HUGE congratulations to you!! Keep going!!!!

D
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yes quit smoking! You are on a journey not only to lose weight but to get healthier. Quitting smoking is a very important part to leading a healther life!! Good luck! You can do it!
  • jolene1
    jolene1 Posts: 28
    Options
    go for it snowangel...You can focus on both...trying to loose weight and traking it on MFP will keep your mind off of the smoking. Try to change up those habits and go for the good ones. Good Luck!!! you can do it =)
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    hmmm, emphysema or diabetes... what should I choose? I think you know the right answer. If you want me to say it, I will...
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking AND start working out! Trust me, it can be done. I quit on Jan 1st this year and started my weight loss journey at the same time! It kicked my body into gear, being able to breathe when I worked out. I lost 22 lbs and have never picked up a cigarette again!! Good luck!!
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    Options
    This is my second time trying to lose weight.
    First time I did I was still a smoker. A chain smoker at that.
    I smoked about two packs a day. (I know ... that is a lot of money!)
    I quit for my husband and our want for children.
    It wasn't easy until I got pregnant. I always imagined those posters of the babies with cigarettes in their hands.
    Now I have a lot more weight to lose this time around and I don't smoke.
    Exercising is so much easier now! I do not constantly cough or hack up anymore (I know gross).
    I think you should do it. There are still days when I see someone doing it and I think to myself, "Maybe I should go buy a pack, just one." It's just like a diet. You have to ask yourself if it's worth it in the long run, which we all know it isn't.
    So good luck! I just realized I rambled on way too much. Hope any of that helps. Lol.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    YES! At least try it!
    I did and I have not had a cigarette since April 1st!!!!!!
    Plus, I am loosing weight. So don't let anybody tell you that you will gain weight if you quit smoking. I am proof that it doesn't have to be that way!

I just figured that I am watching what I eat, loosing weight, exercising all to be more healthy so why am I SMOKING?? So I quit. After smoking for over 35 yrs!

Good luck to you.
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Might as well get completely healthy all at once! besides the being able to exercise when you are having a bad craving will help. I have been quit since Sept 09 and love the way I smell now....sounds odd but you will not believe how bad smokers smell after you quit!!!!!! best of luck! You will not regret putting the cigs down and learning to control the fork!!!!!:smile:
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    YES quit smoking! It's the perfect time. I quit smoking (after a 33 year pack a day habit) at the same time as coming here. I may not be losing much weight but I am definately in much better shape. I have found that keeping tabs on my calories and my exercising helped me immensely with quitting smoking. It helped keep my mind off those nasty things. Plus, whenever I got a bad smoking urge I would just turn on a dvd and workout for 30 min instead. Who can think of smoking when they are struggling to keep up with a workout dvd? :laugh: Go for it!!! Quitting smoking and losing weight can definately be done at the same time. And look at it this way....If by chance you are unable to actually lose the weight at least you won't be gaining it either while quitting smoking. That is a huge plus! :wink:
  • cbullock115
    cbullock115 Posts: 110
    Options
    I quite about 4 years ago and I did gain a lot of weight. But, I know now that it's because I was missing that feeling of having something in my mouth whether it was a straw to chew on or whatever. Keep things like sugar free gum, frozen grapes, and raw carrots around. AND, go for a short walk when you get the urg, it will help, I promise. Everyday gets a little better!! Good luck~!:drinker:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes yes yes a million times yes!!!! Even if you put on ten pounds from it that can be lost. you can do so much damage with those things. I lost a family friend to it. She once had done modeling and was "the life of the party" but when she was in her last stages she looked like a corpse walking. It was enough to just never ever ever wanna pick one up. So its a yes!!!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I quit when I joined here. Check out my tickers.

QUIT.
    do it.
    just don't eat to take it's place. Count every calorie and exercise. you can do it if idid...
  • snowangel1975
    Options
    :bigsmile: Thank you all so much for the positive feedback. It means so much to me to see that kind of response. I will quit smoking...I will lose this addtional weight. Everytime I feel an urge to buy a pack of cigs, I will read all of your posts... I can do this.....I know I can!