For Runners

Options
I am about 5 weeks into my 5k program. I've really enjoyed it and have been progressing well. Can tell major improvements with my breathing, running time, etc. Today I did my program and now I'm up to where you are running for 5-6 min at a time. During my run I was having minor pain in my knee and ankle (more my ankle). I feel fine now.

My question is, should I worry or be concerned about this? I do not want to injure myself and prolong my program. I also really enjoy running. I am heavier so the extra weight could be causing the issue. It could be just muscles not use to working that long. It has been snowy the past few days so I’ve been sticking to the treadmill instead of running outside. I have been putting it on an incline since it isn't flat outside. I run 3-4 days a week and I do the elliptical on my off days to take it easy on the joints. I take supplements to help with Joints (not that I've ever had an issue but I know my extra weight puts more stress on my joints when I'm running). My next run is 8 min intervals and I don't want to make anything worse. Thoughts, advice?

Replies

• cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    A good pair of running shoes makes a huge difference. I had the same problem when I started (I was wearing an old pair of trail shoes), then I got some real running shoes with proper arch supports (fitted at a running store). Total night and day difference.
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A good pair of running shoes makes a huge difference. I had the same problem when I started (I was wearing an old pair of trail shoes), then I got some real running shoes with proper arch supports (fitted at a running store). Total night and day difference.

Good point. I am wearing Brooks that I got last year and didn't do much running but walked plenty. I should probably get a new pair.
  • Reedikulus
    Options
    Yup running shoes I second! I had the same issues a few weeks ago, and I went and traded up my Brooks, for Asic Gels. They solved all the issues.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yeah, i think shoes too.
  • lyssalee4me
    Options
    I would definitely recommend new shoes! I am a new runner too and the difference in shoes was amazing. Also I would say make sure you are getting enough water. I was having pains in my chins and found out that it was because I was not properly hydrated. Now all the pain is gone!
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Make sure you go someplace that will fit you for shoes, they should look at your gait, fit you for size, etc. Also, running shoes typically last between 300-500 miles, so if your shoes are older, that could come into play, especially if you wear them when you aren't working out too, it all adds up. Make sure if you get new shoes, they are only for running/walking.

I have always been prone to shin splints, so if i start to get minor pain in my legs, I ice after a run, seems to help, you could do the same with your ankle, even if just elevated and icing for 20 minutes after your run, it might help.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Work on stretching your hips too. You would be surprised how much stretching out your hips will help improve the pain in your knees, many runners don't pay attention to this. I for one am guilty of it. Running shoes...fitted properly is a MUST.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I would get fitted for shoes at a good athletic shoe store. Once I was fitted and wearing a proper size( I had a half size too small - even after I went up a half size from my original) and stability I have been fine.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    So then, as a follow-up...

I can change my shoes and keep going, or should I take a little time off? Since I feel fine now I assume it isn't an actual injury. But you know what they say about assuming...
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    All I have to add is that at my running store they also said the 300-500 miles OR 6 months. Whatever comes first. Even with minimal wear, over time the shoe can still get a bit wonky.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    If the pain is enough to cause you to change your stride (limp ect) then you should stop immediately rest, and reduce your mileage. If it is just a discomfort, and does not persist or get worse after exercise then I wouldn't be concerned. Running stresses the body a lot, so there is some discomfort as the body addapts
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Does this happen every time you run, or just this one time?

Once in a while when I run, I experience weird pain in an ankle or knee. Usually it goes away as I run a little more. Sometimes it doesn't and I stop, but then it doesn't come back the next time. Shrug.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    Work on stretching your hips too. You would be surprised how much stretching out your hips will help improve the pain in your knees, many runners don't pay attention to this. I for one am guilty of it. Running shoes...fitted properly is a MUST.

Good to know. I don't do any hip stretches.

I'll also note that the Brooks I have were fitted at a running store after observing me run. But I definitely think it is time for a new pair. I easily have over 300 miles on these and probably over 600.
  • pcournede
    pcournede Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In addition to new running shoes I had to get some orthotics. It did the trick and I have no more pain now.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    Does this happen every time you run, or just this one time?

Once in a while when I run, I experience weird pain in an ankle or knee. Usually it goes away as I run a little more. Sometimes it doesn't and I stop, but then it doesn't come back the next time. Shrug.

Just this time. 6 min run intervals are longest I've done thus far and since my runs after are only increasing time in run intervals and decreasing walking time it could be because I haven't been "running" for long periods of time.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Good to know. I don't do any hip stretches.

I'll also note that the Brooks I have were fitted at a running store after observing me run. But I definitely think it is time for a new pair. I easily have over 300 miles on these and probably over 600.

It sounds like you need a new pair of shoes :smile: My knees were bothering me earlier in the fall.. new shoes and I was fine.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I definitely think a new pair of shoes is going to do the trick for you. I sometimes get a weird pain every once in awhile when I run and as long as it's not there next time, I don't worry about it. Make sure you aren't lacing your shoes too tight, too. If something hurts after a run, it's never a bad idea to ice it for 15-20 mins to decrease any inflammation. If a knee bothers me for some odd reason during a run, I always ice it.

Runners do tend to have tight hamstrings, IT bands, hips, etc. First, I suggest buying a foam roller and google/youtube search for what to do with it (basically roll over the muscles). I try to do that several times a week. Second, there are some yoga for runners dvd's and I just started using them and wow, my hips are ridiculous tight! They say yoga is one of the best crosstrains for runners, it helps fix our muscles imbalances, works some on upper body strength, core strength (which help the lower back not hurt on long runs), strengthen the stabilizing muscles in our feet/ankles/etc, and stretches out all the muscles we've shortened. My fav dvd so far is christine felstead's yoga for runners intermediate program.

Congrats on becoming a runner, it's addicting!! =)
  • dobenjam
    Options
    I definitely think a new pair of shoes is going to do the trick for you. I sometimes get a weird pain every once in awhile when I run and as long as it's not there next time, I don't worry about it. Make sure you aren't lacing your shoes too tight, too. If something hurts after a run, it's never a bad idea to ice it for 15-20 mins to decrease any inflammation. If a knee bothers me for some odd reason during a run, I always ice it.

Runners do tend to have tight hamstrings, IT bands, hips, etc. First, I suggest buying a foam roller and google/youtube search for what to do with it (basically roll over the muscles). I try to do that several times a week. Second, there are some yoga for runners dvd's and I just started using them and wow, my hips are ridiculous tight! They say yoga is one of the best crosstrains for runners, it helps fix our muscles imbalances, works some on upper body strength, core strength (which help the lower back not hurt on long runs), strengthen the stabilizing muscles in our feet/ankles/etc, and stretches out all the muscles we've shortened. My fav dvd so far is christine felstead's yoga for runners intermediate program.

Congrats on becoming a runner, it's addicting!! =)

Great advice! I'll make sure to give yoga a try. I was looking into it anyway because I want to make sure I maintain muscle since I'm losing and doing all cardio up to this point but I hadn't heard about yoga for runners. Thanks!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My history is totally different as I had a fall but I day after my fall I got knee pain at about 7 or so miles into an planned 8 mile run. Every time I would run after that I would get pain at about mile 2. Went to doctor and got diagnosed as having "runner's knee." Did the rest he suggested. Pain started again as soon as I started to run again, but this time only about 1/2 mile into run. Went for second opinion, got injection. Said if not better in a month they would send me for an MRI. It was not better and it turns out I have a meniscal tear.
    Again, doubt that is your situation but don't write off any pain that continues.
    I agree with the hip stretching. Also work on having strong glutes and quads.
    Good luck!
  • aplug
    aplug Posts: 5
    Options
    When I took my first running class years ago, our leader said that if anyone experienced the kind of issues you're complaining about that it doesn't hurt to take a couple advil and ice after your runs.