6 months without much results

Options
Hello all!
I'm not one to complain but... I've been exercising and dieting since last July and have only lost 6 lbs. This said, I have noticed a change in my body shape and have developed muscles where there used to be fat, all great things! However, I want to lost belly fat and I want to be thinner.
Let me share this one little bit also, I'm in early menopause and my Dr. keeps telling me to be patient.
In the next 6 months I'd like to lose 10-20 lbs.
Currently I work out at a gym 3 times a week, where I do weights for 30 min. followed by cardio for 30 min. At home I do Jillian Michaels DVD's that include Yoga and her 30 day shred about 2 times a week.
If anyone has any suggestions for me besides "eat less", I'd like to hear them. I've been eating 1350 calories or less every day.

Replies

• carolynwilhelm
    carolynwilhelm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, as I'm in the same boat... been trying to lose the same 15 pounds for over a year now... how many calories are you eating each day? I've found most of the time, if you're working out consistently, that the nutrition side needs to be tweaked. (Forgot to mention I'm in perimenopause too... which sucks for weight loss! lol)
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary, let people have a look and see if they can help xx
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any suggestions for me besides "eat less", I'd like to hear them.

move more
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Have you tried upping the intensity of your workouts? You said you did weights, have you been steadily increasing the weight?
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My first guess is going to be 1350 for all that activity is not enough..

Depending on your height and weight of course. Can you share with us your current stats? What is your BMR? Just to gibe you an idea I'm a shortie...lol at 5'1" and 129(ish) and 1350 would barely cover my BMR before exercise.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Eat more...maybe. Sounds like you are working out a lot - do you eat back some or all of your exercise calories? 1350 or less sounds like not enough...but I don't know your details. I am 5'4", 31, 190 lbs and I exercise 3 days a week for an hour and eat 1800 calories. Lost 2 lbs this week!
  • timvet
    timvet Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would say you def need to ear more! 1350 is not enough for the type of workout you are doing.
  • carolynwilhelm
    carolynwilhelm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay, so based on 1350, my guess is probably need to eat more. I would also suggest upping the intensity of your workouts.
  • BlueJess7
    BlueJess7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Sounds like I'm actually hearing eat more and exercise harder. OKAY.
    I'm 5 feet 0 inches, LOL. I currently weigh 155 and my BMR, although different in every site I've checked, is about 1395 with my TDEE about 1809.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't mean "eat more & exercise harder". "Eat more" means eat more ;) What activity level did you pick for your calculations? If you have been eating 1350 cal or less AND you are NOT eating back your exercise calories, your body is holding on to everything.
  • BlueJess7
    BlueJess7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've used the lightly active level. I'm a doctors assistant so I do stand and sit a lot during the day. You're right, I'm eating 1350 or less and not eating my exercise calories back.
  • baja572
    baja572 Posts: 94
    Options

move more
    I am there..nothing worked until I started eating fruit only in the morning and with a protein...my scales are moving downward.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Since you have your TDEE then take a small cut like 10% or no more than 15%.

Be careful on the exercise harder thing...if you exercise harder then you need to make sure the activity level is correct for calculating your TDEE.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If anyone has any suggestions for me besides "eat less", I'd like to hear them. I've been eating 1350 calories or less every day.

How much less? Do you eat back exercise calories? What is your net caloric intake on average? If you are netting well below your BMR then I can almost guarantee you that is the problem and your metabolism is stalled. I'm sure the menopaus aspect also complicates matters, but one sure fire way to stall your metabolism is to net below your BMR for significant amounts of time.

Edit: I saw you are using the TDEE method...are you then sure your activity level is set correctly? Mine wasn't.
  • Vickiesings
    Options
    I need to find out what BMR and TDEE is all about but I love the comments about eating more. I am upping my calories to 1800 because I am stalled.
  • amills1152
    amills1152 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Also, if you wanna cut out any confusion about eating back exercise calories, just calculate your TDEE using the sedentary activity level, eat about 85-90% of your TDEE, and eat back all of your exercise calories that you log :) Seems ta be working for me after feeling stuck in the same loop of weight I couldn't shed. :) Best of luck!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options

move more

eat more
  • Yaxomoxay
    Yaxomoxay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Get HRM to know of you are exercising with enough intensity. It also helps in better understanding how many calories you are using while exercising.
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would say you def need to ear more! 1350 is not enough for the type of workout you are doing.

^^^^Definitely this!
  • celestinha
    celestinha Posts: 35 Member
    Options

^^ This is your problem. Eat more! I know it sounds counterintuitive, but I'm losing way more now eating between 1600-1800 calories a day than I ever was eating only 1300!!